Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is UA domestic F worth £40?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Is UA domestic F worth £40?

I have a redemption booking to the U.S. this summer. The booking is in C but one of the internal flights, SFO to LAS, was booked in Y due to lack of C availability. Seats in C (I guess really domestic F but books as C for redemptions) have now opened up for the flight.

My Question is, is it worth paying £40 change fee(and having to endure a call to the ICC) for 2 passengers to change from Y to domestic F on this 1 hour flight. We both already have Amex Platinum and Priority Pass so I think we will get the same lounge access regardless. I have no experience of domestic F in the US, but my understanding is that it is pretty disappointing, with no meals on short flights etc.

Anyone got advice on this?
Old May 2, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
In theory you'll get a nicer seat, some free drinks, and that's about it. If this was a revenue booking and you'd been offered an upgrade for £40 (PMUA typically offered some short Y->F upgrades for $60 or so), then I'd have argued it'd be worth it for the extra status miles if you were chasing status. For a redemption, probably not.

Remember that domestic F in the US typically does NOT grant you lounge access - this is true of UA.
Old May 2, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
If it was Buy-up before check in on a Y class ticket, yes (I did this mainly to skip questions about the amount of baggage I was taking back home, connecting onto an AC flight in Y)

I'd stick with what you have.
Old May 2, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC | VS FC | LH M&M
Originally Posted by Kevincm
I'd stick with what you have.
+ 1. Since you're going to Vegas, stick that £40 you've saved on zero and hope for the best...
Old May 2, 2012, 7:23 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Isn't upgrading a class of service on an existing booking free? When I did it last year I didn't have any charges to pay.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by taff_2003
+ 1. Since you're going to Vegas, stick that £40 you've saved on zero and hope for the best...
Stick it on the Craps table.

But actually yes you should upgrade for £40. I like UA a lot...especially PS service...excellent.^
Old May 2, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by Abstract1
Stick it on the Craps table.

But actually yes you should upgrade for £40. I like UA a lot...especially PS service...excellent.^
PS is indeed a great option for TransCon (compared to a cramped exCO 757 that's crammed to the gills).

However, on the SFO - LAS 1 hour and a bit flight... all you'll get is a larger seat and some snacks if you've been good.

Now. £40 is a fun 30 minutes or so on Wheel of Fortune.....
Old May 2, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Don't bother. Domestic first is nothing special, and not worth that cost for such a short flight.

One hour, all you will get is priority boarding and free alcohol, possibly a snack box, and no middle seats.... but i would just spend $7 on the drinks and save the 40 for Vegas.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Seats in C (I guess really domestic F but books as C for redemptions) have now opened up for the flight.
Does it really redeem at C? I thought the US carriers generally booked into F, hence making the whole trip chargeable at F rates.

If not how do we tell? Does the 'correct' column on ANA get used?
Old May 2, 2012, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SFO-LAS is far too short to pay a TOD upgrade, much less 40£! To see the TOD upgrade rates for you route during OLCI, check out this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iscussion.html

BTW, UA will sell you miles for 2 cpm at checkin, a deal that is close to the US DM quarterly 100% bonus
Old May 2, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: bmi ba virgin
If your SFO to LAS is the end of an international flight, then changing to F domestically, will change the entire booking into F miles and cash for the international segment as well, even tho you will be sitting in C for the long flight, making the change totally not worth it! If however you can book it in C class then it may be worth it if you have too much baggage for Y, to avoid any problems when you check your bags in for the domestic segment.
Old May 2, 2012, 3:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by GVA
Isn't upgrading a class of service on an existing booking free? When I did it last year I didn't have any charges to pay.
I've been charged by bmi for every ticket change where I changed class of service on domestic flights to match the class of the international flights.

Originally Posted by aporwol
If your SFO to LAS is the end of an international flight, then changing to F domestically, will change the entire booking into F miles and cash for the international segment as well, even tho you will be sitting in C for the long flight, making the change totally not worth it! If however you can book it in C class then it may be worth it if you have too much baggage for Y, to avoid any problems when you check your bags in for the domestic segment.
This changed on March 3 when UA and CO merged. UA adopted the booking codes used by CO. Domestic F now uses the same code as international C. Thus, all my calls to upgrade my domestic sectors.

I, too, agree it isn't worth paying the money to move from Y to F on a one hour domestic flight.
Old May 2, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
By gum lad if you get the Barnsley call centre it's even slower than the ICC, you have to add the cost of the hour wasted and the risk of screwing up your booking... don't do it
Old May 2, 2012, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
OK thanks guys, seems like a consensus on this. Ill leave it.

UA domestic F now seems to book into C on all domestic. Economy baggage rules don't apply on bookings with international routing. I flew last year on a redemption where the TATL leg was in C and two short haul Ys on each end, and the C baggage limit applied to all flights on the booking(2 bags).
Old May 2, 2012, 5:41 pm

I am a bit surprised at the responses here.

I would definately pay £40 to move to domestic F. The biggest plus about domestic F is the bigger seat and priority boarding.

The flight is 90 minutes, and you would be seated for a bit more than that. For two people to have a much wider seat, priority boarding, (maybe) a PDB is certainly worth £40 to me. But again, I certainly see how people value money differently.

Another factor to me is always the risk of being delayed for an extended period of time on the ground. I recently flew LAS-LAX and was delayed on the ground about 40 minutes. I didn't mind at all as I was sitting in the relative comfort of AA domesic F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.