FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Redemption - Which Carrier to Hawaii... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1244134-redemption-carrier-hawaii.html)

=jon= Aug 25, 2011 9:50 am

Re-reading the ANA Masterclass thread, it says that premium cabins are often only released in the few weeks prior to the departure date. Bearing in mind that I'm looking to go late September, and I'm not having any luck finding availability across the pond at all, is it likely to get better in the next few weeks, or am I basically scuppered and need to look at alternate plans?

I have no problem with waiting if it means I'm likely to get some tickets, if I wait and nothing shows I'm likely to be for the high jump from my better half ;)

FlyingDentist Aug 26, 2011 3:10 pm

I've done this trip both ways.

NRT-HNL is operated by Air Japan. The livery and crew are in NH uniforms so it may be some form of franchise. In my (limited) experience, this means very limited reward availability.
It's also a long flight, after another long flight into NRT and a long layover in NRT. No lie-flat in business on the NRT-HNL route, only cradle seats. And no F. On the return journey you will probably have to do an overnight stop as the flight from HNL arrives too late to connect with most flights back to Europe.

However all in all, it's probably better than transiting LAX or SFO. Again no lie-flat seats between there and HNL. However at least there are multiple daily flights in case of a problem.

Between LX, LH or UA across the Atlantic, I'd go for LX as my first choice. Availability limited though. However if LH still do an early morning departure to SFO, it may be possible to connect quickly to HNL, IIRC. This may no longer be possible depending on schedules.

Might be worth building in a day or two transit between the long flights.

Good luck!

=jon= Aug 30, 2011 3:23 am

Hi,

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm still struggling to find any availability - I think we have possibly left it to late :(

Cheers

Jon

SimonsMiles Aug 30, 2011 10:19 am

Originally Posted by =jon= (Post 17021203)
Hi,

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm still struggling to find any availability - I think we have possibly left it to late :(

Cheers

Jon

It's not easy when you leave it late. I've done this route a few times, and here's what I do:

1. Find the availability to HNL. Either way is fine - via the US or via Japan. On the Japan route, C class on United is actually tolerable (it's "international" C rather than domestic).
2. Once you've found the HNL availability, work out how to get to the connection point. Accept that you may have to stop off at the connection point for a day or two, be flexible. If needs be, split up the redemption to allow for more stop overs.

Be creative. You can go direct to NRT via FRA or ZRH, but you could also go for example via BKK with Thai. Spend a day or two in Thailand (one night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster), then continue the journey to arrive at NRT just in time to connect. Or, take a "longer" connection in BKK and stop over in NRT for a couple of days - visit Tokyo (and get a free massage at the Thai Airways lounge while you wait for your connection!).

Try going out one way and back the next - e.g. LHR-IAD-xLAX-HNL in one direction, then HNL-NRT-xBKK-LHR one the way back. Some people will tell you this "should be an around the world trip", but if you do it as two separate one way bookings it's fine (I have done it twice, once just me and the wife in first class, the second time with the wife and three kids in business).

Keep looking, don't give up. This is flyertalk remember. Good luck!

-simon

=jon= Aug 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Thanks again for the help everyone :)

I spent (literally!) 3 hours on the ANA tool last night plugging away.

I can do:

FRA -> JFK - LH Business
JFK -> SFO UA First
(overnight)
SFO redeye -> KOA UA First
KOA -> LAX UA First Overnight
LAX -> LHR NZ Business

By my reckoning it comes out to 270K miles, or 135K+£900, both +tax.

Annoying that I can't do the US domestic sections in Business as it saves a lot of miles, and I'm guessing the F service isn't going to be that special..

Lastly - the first FRA flight is at 10.25am, and the first outbound LHR->FRA flight gets there at 9am. If I book it cash only, therefore on a different reference, am I going to struggle with a 1hr25 connection, or do you think they'll check me through from LHR? I'm quite happy to pay the miles/tax to get everything on a single reference if it makes life easy!

Thanks

Jon