FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Promo: Instant Silver Offer - New Members - By Invitation Only (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1193345-instant-silver-offer-new-members-invitation-only.html)

markdg Mar 18, 2011 6:56 am

Originally Posted by RAPC (Post 16056924)
The radar had caught this a while back. You're in the bmi forum, which has bmi / DC participants as well as a number of unseen bmi lurkers who monitor it. All the while people are openly discussing this free Silver offer in front of them. Then better still, telling them publicly all about the workarounds for it too.

It was promoted by a number of bloggers (some driven by ego alone), of which a few will have known this was an error, but presented it as being an offer open to all.

Many of these blogs are monitored by bmi as well as part of the resourcing up in marketing and social media over the past 12 months, so it wasn't go to slip the net here either.

DC had already changed the original offer and added the coding. They had already talked to people about it openly on their Facebook and Twitter feeds and explained it wasn't an offer open to all.

It isn't the people asking questions of this to DC who have killed this as that particular ship sailed a while ago. Bloggers trying to look great by shouting about it to all and sundry and attracting plenty of attention were the ones who ensured this was killed. If they hadn't have sent so many people over, you'd probably have found that they wouldn't be validating the accounts now for eligibility.

Like he said!

hugolover Mar 23, 2011 8:09 am

I know someone who used this offer, guess what! Closed! Yay!

Dear Cheapskate,

We're pleased to see that you recently joined our Diamond Club frequent flyer programme. However, I'm writing to you because unfortunately the link you used to join was an exclusive by invitation only offer and as noted in our terms and conditions was non transferable.

Regrettably, we will not be honouring the Silver status, and over the next few days your account will be downgraded to Blue status. Our decision is final, and we won't be entering into any further correspondence on this. On a positive note though, our frequent flyer programme is one of the most generous programmes around, and you only need to earn 16,000 membership status miles to earn a Silver membership. When you fly with us, or any of the Star Alliance airlines, you'll reach Silver status in no time at all. You'll also have access to all our offers and promotions, as well as being the first to hear about our great sale fares. We hope you'll still enjoy the benefits of your Diamond Club membership.

Luv,

Keeley

kendenton Mar 23, 2011 8:13 am

Got the e-mail from BMI this morning - rescinded my Silver :(

Oh well.

ScottC Mar 23, 2011 8:16 am

Rudest airline email ever.

we will not be honouring the Silver status, and over the next few days your account will be downgraded to Blue status. Our decision is final, and we won't be entering into any further correspondence on this
The word "sorry" could have helped them a bit. If the offer wasn't open to everyone, they should have taken precautions to keep it closed.

potove Mar 23, 2011 8:17 am

finally..... I emailed bmi several times about people taking advantage of them
in this silver status freebie. nothing... I called bmi offices in the USA... nothing...

finally decided to spend a couple of dollars and called bmi corporate office in
the UK yesterday.... spoke to a nice lady called Susan and explained the whole
thing to her, even gave her the link to this thread on Flyertalk.com.

this morning, they finally wised up and removed silver status who didn't deserve
it in the first place. ^

Sarah Kirschbaum
23 March 2011

teege Mar 23, 2011 8:25 am

Originally Posted by potove (Post 16086374)
finally..... I emailed bmi several times about people taking advantage of them
in this silver status freebie. nothing... I called bmi offices in the USA... nothing...

finally decided to spend a couple of dollars and called bmi corporate office in
the UK yesterday.... spoke to a nice lady called Susan and explained the whole
thing to her, even gave her the link to this thread on Flyertalk.com.

this morning, they finally wised up and removed silver status who didn't deserve
it in the first place. ^

Sarah Kirschbaum
23 March 2011

Huh? Seriously?

rubesl Mar 23, 2011 8:26 am

No BMI/*A Silver status because of offer that BMI says was targeted.

We're pleased to see that you recently joined our Diamond Club frequent flyer programme. However, I'm writing to you because unfortunately the link you used to join was an exclusive by invitation only offer and as noted in our terms and conditions was non transferable.

Regrettably, we will not be honouring the Silver status, and over the next few days your account will be downgraded to Blue status. Our decision is final, and we won't be entering into any further correspondence on this. On a positive note though, our frequent flyer programme is one of the most generous programmes around, and you only need to earn 16,000 membership status miles to earn a Silver membership. When you fly with us, or any of the Star Alliance airlines, you'll reach Silver status in no time at all. You'll also have access to all our offers and promotions, as well as being the first to hear about our great sale fares. We hope you'll still enjoy the benefits of your Diamond Club membership.

potove Mar 23, 2011 8:27 am

absolutely... for that last several years, I always alert the airlines/hotels, if I see people
sharing pricing mistake info on Flyertalk..... I just send the links of the threads to the airline
and/or hotel.... nearly 45% of the time, they reward me by offering a free night or a free
flight voucher(usually $100 off future flight). One Star Alliance airline even credited my
account for 20,000 miles for my troubles. So I guess that's why I do it.... :)

It's not right to take advantage of other people's mistakes. (well, maybe okay for Lindsay Lohan... :D )

Sarah Kirschbaum
23 March 2011

teege Mar 23, 2011 8:29 am

Originally Posted by potove (Post 16086430)
absolutely... for that last several years, I always alert the airlines/hotels, if I see people sharing pricing mistake info on Flyertalk..... It's not right to take
advantage of other people's mistake. It may be okay for Lindsay Lohan... :D

Sarah Kirschbaum
23 March 2011

This is interesting coming from someone who took and sold first class wine glasses.

anat0l Mar 23, 2011 8:31 am

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 16086368)

The word "sorry" could have helped them a bit. If the offer wasn't open to everyone, they should have taken precautions to keep it closed.

Crashing a party because there was no bouncer at the front door nor a guest list gives you no reason to complain if you are then literally kicked in the butt out the door because you were not invited. Period (and thou shalt not send the bill for sore butt ointment to the party).

On another note, however, if it was closed then where are the BD T&Cs to back this up? Does someone still have a cached T&C list from the day that the status match page went live? Check it to see if there is a T&C saying that it was only for valid persons. I mean, BD could've easily just thrown up this excuse of "targeted promotion" as a means of being able to cull down the number of sign ups.

hugolover Mar 23, 2011 8:31 am

In a way I agree with you potove. I told my friend it would get closed. It's not fair on those who earned the 16000 miles to get silver status, perhaps with their bum on a BMI seat on 300/400 miles basis fares. Moreover, whereas a status match could also be perceived to devalue a programme from another members point of view at least the means to get said status was legitimate.

I believe the only reason BMI haven't closed new registrations for North America is because DC is a money earner for DC, there can be no other reason. They don't fly there any more and closed DC in the Netherlands, Israel & Belgium in favour of papa Lufty's M&M.

hugolover Mar 23, 2011 8:32 am

Originally Posted by anat0l (Post 16086453)
Crashing a party because there was no bouncer at the front door nor a guest list gives you no reason to complain if you are then literally kicked in the butt out the door because you were not invited. Period (and thou shalt not send the bill for sore butt ointment to the party).

On another note, however, if it was closed then where are the BD T&Cs to back this up? Does someone still have a cached T&C list from the day that the status match page went live? Check it to see if there is a T&C saying that it was only for valid persons. I mean, BD could've easily just thrown up this excuse of "targeted promotion" as a means of being able to cull down the number of sign ups.

T&Cs always say DC can close account and decision is final.

ironmanjt Mar 23, 2011 8:34 am

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 16086368)

Agreed. The tone was unacceptable even if the content was justified. The e-mail comes across as "you tried to take advantage of us, and we don't want you as a customer, and don't care what you think about it."

teege Mar 23, 2011 8:37 am

absolutely... for that last several years, I always alert the airlines/hotels, if I see people
sharing pricing mistake info on Flyertalk..... I just send the links of the threads to the airline
and/or hotel.... nearly 45% of the time, they reward me by offering a free night or a free
flight voucher(usually $100 off future flight). One Star Alliance airline even credited my

It's not right to take advantage of other people's mistakes. (well, maybe okay for Lindsay Lohan... :D )

Sarah Kirschbaum
23 March 2011

After you've edited your post multiple times I guess I'm beginning to see why you do it. For your own good? So you're taking advantage of the airlines mistakes, and taking advantage of flyertalk users that post successful loopholes, in order to get $$$ from hotel/airline.

And the *A that credited for troubles? What troubles are you speaking of?

As far as I'm aware BMI offered a temporary status to have people test their product. I didn't really realize this was targeted and I'm assuming if they really wanted to restrict access they could have. They didn't, though and IMO it's safe to assume that it just wasn't that big of a deal to them. Even if untargeted people (if that's even true about this promotion's original T&Cs) got into the deal, it's still a decent advertising point for them.

bodory Mar 23, 2011 8:39 am

Sarah Kirschbaum
23 March 2011

That sounds like a troll to me.