Search

new T&Cs - Avis wants gas receipt

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2007, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
new T&Cs - Avis wants gas receipt

Got notice of new T&Cs today by email. New fueling 'options' bring a demand for a gas receipt for low mileage rentals. Emphasis mine.

Paragraph 19, Fuel Service Charge now has 4 refueling options and they will be effective on rentals commencing on or after August 14, 2007: A. If you do not accept the fuel service option at the beginning of your rental and you return the car with less fuel from when you received it, you will be charged the per-mile/per-gallon rate specified on the rental agreement. B. If you accept the fuel service option at the beginning of your rental, you will be charged as shown on the rental agreement for that purchase and you will not be responsible for a fuel service charge. C. You may avoid a fuel service charge if you return the car with the fuel tank filled as full as when you received it at the beginning of your rental. D. If you drive less than 75 miles, Avis will provide you with a time saving mechanism and simply charge a flat fee to the rental. The flat fee charge will not be levied if you provide a receipt for fuel purchased at time of return.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Got notice of new T&Cs today by email. New fueling 'options' bring a demand for a gas receipt for low mileage rentals. Emphasis mine.

Paragraph 19, Fuel Service Charge now has 4 refueling options and they will be effective on rentals commencing on or after August 14, 2007: A. If you do not accept the fuel service option at the beginning of your rental and you return the car with less fuel from when you received it, you will be charged the per-mile/per-gallon rate specified on the rental agreement. B. If you accept the fuel service option at the beginning of your rental, you will be charged as shown on the rental agreement for that purchase and you will not be responsible for a fuel service charge. C. You may avoid a fuel service charge if you return the car with the fuel tank filled as full as when you received it at the beginning of your rental. D. If you drive less than 75 miles, Avis will provide you with a time saving mechanism and simply charge a flat fee to the rental. The flat fee charge will not be levied if you provide a receipt for fuel purchased at time of return.
Do we get to verify that the car is full to the top when we leave their parking lot?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 3:15 pm

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Do we get to verify that the car is full to the top when we leave their parking lot?
And if it's NOT full, can we levy a refueling fee on Avis at exorbitant rates?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
They used to do this, though many locations let it go, 'cause it wasn't worth the effort.

I got nailed at PWM one time when the gas pump failed to give a receipt and the clerks couldn't generate one. I think Avis hit me for $8 or $9... I was very, very angry.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC
I have to say that with this last spike in gas prices, I've had an increasing number of rentals where the tank is less than full when I pick up the car.

I kind of like the flat fee concept for less than 75 miles, but I need to know what that fee is, first.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I just saw this, too. I used to be guilty of this pretty much every week renting at MCO. I'd pick up the car, drive ~35 miles r/t to and from downtown and then return the car. I usually was charged nothing, but occasionally actually was hit with per mile fuel charge. In reality I would've been happy to pay it every time if they charged me, especially since the State of Florida employee rate is basically the same as at the pump. My complaint is that they'll charge some ridiculous flat rate instead of just the per mile rate. And I'll get screwed on paying more than I should. I'm happy to pay the going rate, but I shouldn't have to pay more than one of the other rates that ould normally be charged. Why can't they just charge the mileage rate and be done with it??

Old Jul 18, 2007, 8:44 pm

This is crazy, and is going to drive me to Hertz. My rentals are routinely less than 75 miles -- this isn't a time saving measure, it's a money grab. It takes FOREVER to get a receipt in PDX, where I rent, because you can't pump your own gas, so I have to wait for the attendant to go and produce a receipt. Plus, are they going to dispute that I filled up too far away based on the address on the receipt? There aren't any gas stations anywhere near PDX, so you have to fill up in town.

What a pain...just when I was liking Avis for the free First weekends! Anyone know how much I have to rent to get status with Hertz?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
I knew it was only a matter of time before Avis follows Budget's lead in this regard ... don't be surprised if National and Hertz implement the same policy in the not too distant future (just like grace periods uniformly shrank to 29 minutes now from 59 minutes recently).
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:39 pm

Do you need to just show the receipt, or will they take it?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:42 pm

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
Originally Posted by ashaboe
I knew it was only a matter of time before Avis follows Budget's lead in this regard...
My email was "signed" by:
We thank you for making Avis your choice for your car rental needs and we look forward to you driving with us again soon.
Sincerely,

Becky Alseth
Senior Vice President
Marketing

...I wonder what would happen if we all sent emails to Becky Alseth regarding this change... asking her to explain why a flat fee is better than the simpler per mile calculation...

http://www.avisbudgetgroup.com/media...rce.cfm?id=172

lists her contact info as:

(973) 496-7865
[email protected]

Thoughts?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:11 pm

I'm going to call Becky tomorrow. I've spoken to 3 different customer service and reservations reps at Avis, none of whom were aware of this change in policy. Maybe Becky can tell me how this is supposed to work!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:21 pm

Programs: CO Plat
So much for starting August 14th. I Had to show my gas receipt at SJC last Friday after having driven ony 60 miles to avoid them charging me.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I've been asked before ... for whoever asked, they look don't take the receipt. They are just looking for proof that you actually purchased the gas for the car, as the gauge may not show much different than time of rental with the low mileage usage.

They are also getting more specific about who is automatically covered under the rental, and not as an additional driver. You have to use your corporate code, etc if its a business rental. No AAA/Costco type discounts on those rentals anymore.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by rt1flea
So much for starting August 14th. I Had to show my gas receipt at SJC last Friday after having driven ony 60 miles to avoid them charging me.
It's not starting August 14th. It's starting nationwide August 14th.

It's been going on for over a year at some airports, and has been mentioned in numerous threads in this Avis section of FT.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 7:05 pm

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
Originally Posted by Buster
I'm going to call Becky tomorrow. I've spoken to 3 different customer service and reservations reps at Avis, none of whom were aware of this change in policy. Maybe Becky can tell me how this is supposed to work!
BTW- I noticed that

http://www.avisbudgetgroup.com/media...rce.cfm?id=172

states that:

Ms. Alseth is responsible for leading the development of both Avis and Budget marketing strategies designed to build brand image, customer loyalty and market share.

I wonder which one this change falls into...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.