Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Free" weekend rental - NOT !!! [UK]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
What region? What are the T&C on the coupon? In the US, it's usually a "free car up to full size", but be sure to read the fine print to be sure.
UK member here and I'm using it for Europe but there's nothing that I could find in the T&C of the email voucher regarding which category to choose. Just says "valid for medium car sizes only".

Last edited by hamallu; May 3, 2018 at 4:34 pm
Old May 6, 2018, 1:08 am

When I used the offer (and I had to book by phone, website still useless), medium translated as 'group E'. On the UK fleet, that's Golf size, though actual car model never guaranteed.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Another voucher-related question.

I'm a UK Avis Preferred+ member I have 8 rentals with Avis this year and a 9th booked which should put me just over the 2000 euros required for the President's Club (my year runs out next month). I's like to get to PC status (if it is worth it?) so just booked on the phone to use a weekend voucher to get my 10th rental. I asked about whether the voucher will count as the 10th rental (it did last time I used one - but we paid for extra insurance). The super helpful agent said just using the voucher wouldn't count but if additional spend was put on the rental (satnav etc) then it would count.

Has anyone experience of doing this and are there any recommendations as to what cheap add-on I could get? I'd rather not pay for the extra insurance as it is £60 for 3 days!

Many thanks
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: too many
Gliderpilot, would you rent in the UK or elsewhere?
In France for instance, the voucher does not apply to airport surcharges, so would definitely count
as for cheap add ons: extra driver, Wifi or GPS are the ones springing to mind...or even a cheap baby seat?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ng1265
Gliderpilot, would you rent in the UK or elsewhere?
In France for instance, the voucher does not apply to airport surcharges, so would definitely count
as for cheap add ons: extra driver, Wifi or GPS are the ones springing to mind...or even a cheap baby seat?
Thanks NG1265, I have actually just used the voucher in the UK. Got me to 2015 euros and I am now a confirmed President's Club member
I used the additional breakdown cover for £12.99 to make sure it posted on my account (not sure if it would have done if I hasn't done that). Interestingly, despite it being Heathrow, I wasn't charged any extra taxes or fees.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Data points:

LTN - Value of rental £95, reduced to £0 by voucher, saving £95
ORY - Value of rental €65, reduced to €48 by voucher, saving €17
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Received this by email "Book and rent by the end of the year to receive a free weekend rental voucher to use in 2019".
The terms seem reasonable; it is valid in some European countries only including the UK.

Questions: Are bookings in the US valid for the offer? If so, is it OK to use an AWD code or will it invalidate the offer? I am seeing rates higher than what I can get with Hertz.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Received this by email "Book and rent by the end of the year to receive a free weekend rental voucher to use in 2019".
The terms seem reasonable; it is valid in some European countries only including the UK.

Questions: Are bookings in the US valid for the offer? If so, is it OK to use an AWD code or will it invalidate the offer? I am seeing rates higher than what I can get with Hertz.
Valid to GET the voucher or valid to USE the voucher in 2019?

You should check the conditions of the offer, but I don*t see any reason why it should not count as a booking only because you do it in the US.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
I meant whether bookings in the US are valid to trigger the voucher. I can't see why not if the booking is made on the UK site as stated. The issue remains whether awds can be applied without making the booking invalid to get the voucher.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
I meant whether bookings in the US are valid to trigger the voucher. I can't see why not if the booking is made on the UK site as stated. The issue remains whether awds can be applied without making the booking invalid to get the voucher.
Can't see any country restriction on the "trigger" booking, just the redemption booking. Also can't see any AWD restrictions. Just have to book on avis.co.uk, it seems.
wobbly wings and craigthemif like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
So I've recently started using Avis Preferred again after a few years. Just received an email (triggered by my second rental?) with two vouchers offering

- €15 off a pay-at-location, weekend, B+ rental
- Free upgrade (from any category) 'An advance reservation with request for upgrade is required'

Is the use of these vouchers likely to knock out any miles earning/ promotional miles earning/ Topcashback? At the moment, 9000 miles in Iberia/ 15% cashback is much more valuable than either of these.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: too many
No, only the weekend voucher would knock it in the UK, where they don't charge anything.
If you add an extra (insurance, child seat, etc) to a rental using a weekend voucher, it would not be included in the discounts and you would be able to get the miles
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:31 pm

I should have qualified for the free weekend voucher but none has been sent to me yet. How did you get it and any idea who to contact to get it? I normally use Hertz so not so knowledgeable with all things Avis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.