Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Select and Go options at OGG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Avis Select and Go options at OGG

Anybody have any insight as to the cars on the S&G aisle in Maui?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pickles1107
Anybody have any insight as to the cars on the S&G aisle in Maui?
Depends on when you go. I will be there this Friday through next week and they told me they are almost sold out the full week.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Having a mind pause at Select and Go.

As an Avis First,ni always rent full size or premium. I don't understand how Select and Go works. What do I have to do to get it? I don't like the type of cars they normally assign to me and go back to the counter to change, what do I need to do to select my own vehicle?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Does Maui have this option and is it automatic for Avis Preferred? Because the reviews for OGG location are brutal and match my prior experience - very long wait times. Simply refuse to rent here again if I have to wait in line.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Ok, Maui is on the list: https://www.avis.com/car-rental/html...lectandgo.html

However, I just don't see many locations that actually offer much self-select inventory. For example, I don't even see these labeled aisles at all at JFK or LGA despite them being in the list too.

The best situation for you is to have Preferred, have the app, reserve at least a mid-size/intermediate. Ensure your flight arrival and data is in your reservation to trigger the automated system.

The automated system should assign you a car. Use the app to exchange a car (if any are available). The app usually gets access to the full inventory of available (parked in marked stall cars) that are not already assigned/blocked/key held - you are competing with the agents who are manually assigning cars typically.

Keep refreshing the app even if you are not assigned a car when you first land. Eventually, you usually get assigned one. If you have to stand in line, it would be because they are running very tight. If you happen to see these aisles and didn't like what was assigned in the app, please feel free to do the exchange thing.

Rasheed
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Interesting... I was in DFW a few weeks ago and they no longer have the S&G aisle. Talking with the agent, they said they dropped it because nobody uses it. Preferred members now have access to the app, so they prefer that option. Yet, a few weeks later and DFW is still on the S&G location list on avis.com
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by rasheed
The best situation for you is to have Preferred, have the app, reserve at least a mid-size/intermediate. Ensure your flight arrival and data is in your reservation to trigger the automated system.

The automated system should assign you a car. Use the app to exchange a car (if any are available). The app usually gets access to the full inventory of available (parked in marked stall cars) that are not already assigned/blocked/key held - you are competing with the agents who are manually assigning cars typically.
100% correct! I received notification of a pre-assigned car via app and I think email or text.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've used Avis pretty much each and every time going to Maui for the last several years. While they technically have a 'select and go' they are generally sold out or everything is already reserved. I wouldn't rely on using 'select and go' if I were you. Just put in the category you're looking to be comfortable driving with and go with it. If something shows up for exchange, consider it gravy but don't bet on it.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:30 am

i will be arriving in maui on september 1st saturday at 7:30pm (landing time). I have the following choices for cars and prices. Our travelling party is 3 adults and 2 small kids. i would prefer a suv based on that. here is what i see

avis (i am preferred plus): standard recreational vehicle like jeep wrangler 4dr is 209 (but with 10%amex discount plus 10% amazon discount) would be around 165. suv rate is 300 costing me around 250 with the above post paid discounts. also heard bad things about waiting in line here and would hate that so late while kids would be exhausted. any input?

national (exec through amex plat): full size for 237. i heard national at ogg are very customer friendly and are good with finding suv if u ask for it.

priceline: suv for 275 in express deal so no cancellation.

would you recommend i go with avis?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.