Wiki Posts
Search

Free weekend questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sky Team Plat, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Free weekend questions

If i book a 4 day rental and use a 2 day coupon will i get charged the tax and fees on the total before they take off the two days or after?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

When I've used free day coupons in the past, I get charged the "per day" taxes/fees. With the coupons, I've never had it really be "free".
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
The cheapest I've ever been out of pocket for these coupons is $7.

That's to say, I rented a car for two days over the weekend, used the coupon, and returned it within 48 hours exactly, and got a receipt for about $7. The amount seemed to be comprised entirely of taxes and fees.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Question. Are these coupons transferable? if not, could i book a rental with the coupon for someone else?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njxbean
Question. Are these coupons transferable? if not, could i book a rental with the coupon for someone else?
No.

You can pick up the car, let someone else drive it and you assume all the responsibilities and vioate the rental agreement.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the calculation would be as follows:

4 days rental
-2 days credit
+% taxes on the remaining total
+4x per day taxes

Amazingly, some locations, like LGA, the entire tax is % based. So, a 2 day rental using a coupon would come out to 0!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:19 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by njxbean
Originally Posted by username
No.

You can pick up the car, let someone else drive it and you assume all the responsibilities and vioate the rental agreement.
Or you can book with the Costco AWD which gives a free additional driver. You and the 2nd person would have to pickup the car, but you could then leave and let the car with the other person. It won't violate the contract that way..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.