Search

Charged for intermediate, given compact

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:33 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Question Charged for intermediate, given compact

I had a rental this morning for a one-way. My reservation was for an intermediate, but I was given a compact (ford focus). My receipt explicitly shows that I was given a compact but charged for an intermediate.

- Is this ok for them to do because I had a one-way rental?
- If not, just go back through customer service for refund/certificates?
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I do believe that the newer Focii are considered to be intermediates.
The Chevrolet Cruz is considered an intermediate, and the Focus is virtually identical in size.

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...navId=T4M01S00
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:04 am

Wow...does that make the smartcars the new compacts? :-)
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

First, check the AWD you used and ensure there is a price difference between the two, as there sometimes isnt. If so: go to Avis.com and write a complaint. If that doesn't work, dispute it with your credit card and/or go to the better business bureau. Tell Avis that you want the price difference AND ALL ASSOCIATED taxes/fees/etc refunded. They might try to say that the taxes/etc cannot be refunded, but they definitely can be. I've had issues like this before and they don't like to refund anything more than the base rate if they don't have to.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
First, check the AWD you used and ensure there is a price difference between the two, as there sometimes isnt. If so: go to Avis.com and write a complaint. If that doesn't work, dispute it with your credit card and/or go to the better business bureau. Tell Avis that you want the price difference AND ALL ASSOCIATED taxes/fees/etc refunded. They might try to say that the taxes/etc cannot be refunded, but they definitely can be. I've had issues like this before and they don't like to refund anything more than the base rate if they don't have to.
Presuming that there is a price difference, call the rental station directly and ask for an explanation first. You can save yourself tons of time if there was an error before you go scorched earth. You may also find that they offer you something simple such as comping a day (presuming that's worth more than the price difference + fees).
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Often1
call the rental station directly and ask for an explanation first.
For most every business, this works well. However, with Avis, whenever I've called the number for most intermediate or large stations, you cannot really talk with someone on-site. You can pick many options, but they route you to general Avis numbers, and not someone on-site, unfortunately.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For most every business, this works well. However, with Avis, whenever I've called the number for most intermediate or large stations, you cannot really talk with someone on-site. You can pick many options, but they route you to general Avis numbers, and not someone on-site, unfortunately.
There's always a local #. You may need to be resourceful and start with airport management, airport police or whatever, looking for Avis' lost & found or the like. Once I track those down, I keep them in my contacts because there is nothing better than a live person on the spot.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:07 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks for all the responses.

Originally Posted by WIRunner
I do believe that the newer Focii are considered to be intermediates.
The Chevrolet Cruz is considered an intermediate, and the Focus is virtually identical in size.

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...navId=T4M01S00
I was a bit surprised that this was a compact (size wasn't horrible), but the the receipt says:
Car Group Rented: COMPACT
Car Group Charged: INTERMEDIATE

First, check the AWD you used and ensure there is a price difference between the two, as there sometimes isnt.
It's my corporate AWD, and there's definitely a price difference (a whole $2/day)

Originally Posted by Often1
Presuming that there is a price difference, call the rental station directly and ask for an explanation first.
I'll try that next week. The challenge is that this is a non-airport location, and the manager isn't there every day (had to deal with them on a prior rental where they claimed they couldn't find the GPS I'd left in the car on an after-hours dropoff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.