Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis rates go up exponentially!!!!!!!!!!! Watch out!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Avis rates go up exponentially!!!!!!!!!!! Watch out!

Just went to make a reservation and this is what I got for a 1 day rental....

I was posting this as a joke because I thought it was a computer glitch. Then I went to make the same reservation at other rental companies and they were all the same. The joke is on me. I bought my airfare for less than my rental car. I am screwed.

Rented same car last week for $25 from the same airport.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by atwnsw2; Jan 22, 2010 at 12:05 pm
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
This is the super bowl curse.

i know it will.

I avoid SoFla for the entire month of feb, with pro bowl AND suepr bowl there this year it is even worse.

The chevy equinox I got this past week for less than $150 will probably go for 600+ the coming weeks.

the hotel I had for $54 a night, it already up at $170 and will likely go higher if any cancels.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Your 1 day rental is actually a 2 day rental. If you want to save some money, pick it up 45 minutes later (change the rez!) and drop it off 45minutes earlier (change the rez!) and you will only have a 1 day rental!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:44 pm

And after following suggestion by USirritated, try Z387740.

To add details: If this PBI rental is leveled at one day (compact car say 2/17 11:00 AM - 2/18 11:00 AM) as suggested by USIRRITATED the base rate drops to $107. Then if the code Z387740, initially offered by SAMANAR, is applied, the base rate drops to only $42, a further 60% saving. This cost would not be so painful if one followed those guidelines.

Last edited by rmiller774; Jan 23, 2010 at 8:54 am
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Its Superbowl Week... AND its February break for many schools in the Northeast. A double whammy this week. Good luck!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
No offense intended to anyone, but most people over pay for rental cars, and I am talking about with their preferred company, simply because they made the reservation incorrectly (as in the case of the OP who made a one day rental into a one day PLUS 2 hour rental, which is really TWO DAYS without checking closely), and without doing the proper research to find appropriate coupons, discounts, AWD numbers, etc.

The same SOMETIMES applies to airfares, except that is often a matter of tinkering with dates and times and sometimes nearby airports, and with hotels (I use Marriott) by not knowing publicly available reservation codes, how to split reservations to take advantage of lower rates for part of the time, instead of a higher rate that might only apply for a day or two but that gets spread across the whole reservation because the traveler did not play around with the dates a bit. This last hotel tip also often applies to rental cars.

Remember, one of the main reasons for FT is to help our fellow travelers with travel tips and money saving ideas.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Wow. Thanks for the help everybody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.