FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   First Preferred Rental (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1977701-first-preferred-rental.html)

carroyo47 Jul 11, 2019 10:12 am

First Preferred Rental

Hi all,

I'm under the impression that if you rent at Avis as a Preferred member you have to check in at the kiosk to verify information, does that mean you won't have the opportunity to utilize Select & Go or will you have access to it after the verification?

Thanks!

twitch76 Jul 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by carroyo47 (Post 31292949)
Hi all,

I'm under the impression that if you rent at Avis as a Preferred member you have to check in at the kiosk to verify information, does that mean you won't have the opportunity to utilize Select & Go or will you have access to it after the verification?

Thanks!

I’m not entirely sure what you mean. Is “visiting the kiosk” something they told you to do the first time you rent?

In most US airports that I visit, I get a notification on my phone that gives me my car, make, model, mileage, features, and space number. If I like it, I hit confirm. If I don’t like it, I hit exchange and see what else is available. If I find one I like (either same price or up charge), I confirm it. (If it doesn’t come to my phone, it’s usually on a display board at the Preferred Desk. If I like it, I take it, If not, I go to the Preferred Desk to see what’s available.)

Once I’ve confirmed the car, I go directly to the car and drive. The attendant at the exit gate checks my license, prints any necessary paperwork, and opens the gate.

carroyo47 Jul 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Yes it would be for the first time.

twitch76 Jul 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by carroyo47 (Post 31294488)
Yes it would be for the first time.

If by “kiosk,” they mean “preferred desk,” I would think that anyone at the preferred desk would be able to help you switch vehicles.

If there’s some automated machine that I don’t remember, I’d probably skip it and just go to the preferred desk to validate info and select your car.

What location are you renting from?

carroyo47 Jul 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Renting from PDX...I’m guessing that once everything is validated at the kiosk I can use Select and Go in the app right then and there?

twitch76 Jul 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by carroyo47 (Post 31294688)
Renting from PDX...I’m guessing that once everything is validated at the kiosk I can use Select and Go in the app right then and there?

That seems like a reasonable assumption. Maybe someone else who remembers their first rental as a preferred customer will chime in. I suspect my first preferred rental was at an outstation where there isn’t even a preferred desk, let alone a kiosk.

IAHtraveler Jul 13, 2019 9:17 am

Yes, for your first rental as a Preferred member, you'll have to visit a person at a booth/desk/kiosk/whatever you want to call it. They will verify your driver's license and credit card before you can get into a vehicle and off of the lot. After that, you can skip the counter (where there's a gated lot) and proceed directly to your car. Or use the app to swap cars.

carroyo47 Jul 13, 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 31299456)
Yes, for your first rental as a Preferred member, you'll have to visit a person at a booth/desk/kiosk/whatever you want to call it. They will verify your driver's license and credit card before you can get into a vehicle and off of the lot. After that, you can skip the counter (where there's a gated lot) and proceed directly to your car. Or use the app to swap cars.

So no possibility of using Select & Go the first time, you’re stuck with what they give you?

IAHtraveler Jul 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by carroyo47 (Post 31299871)
So no possibility of using Select & Go the first time, you’re stuck with what they give you?

If they actually have a S&G row, just ask for something there if you want it. But most places are ditching S&G for the app.

carroyo47 Jul 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 31300480)
If they actually have a S&G row, just ask for something there if you want it. But most places are ditching S&G for the app.

I do have the app so hoping that’ll help?

Drwaz99 Jul 14, 2019 3:17 am

Originally Posted by carroyo47 (Post 31300952)

I do have the app so hoping that’ll help?

Most likely what will happen is once you land/an hour or two before you arrive, the app will show you the car you've been assigned. If you don't like it, it'll also show some options you can switch to. If you don't like any of them, once you get to the desk/kiosk/outstation to verify your info, you can always ask if there are any other options you can switch to as there may be new returns or other vehicle options not listed in the app yet.

carroyo47 Jul 14, 2019 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Drwaz99 (Post 31301511)
Most likely what will happen is once you land/an hour or two before you arrive, the app will show you the car you've been assigned. If you don't like it, it'll also show some options you can switch to. If you don't like any of them, once you get to the desk/kiosk/outstation to verify your info, you can always ask if there are any other options you can switch to as there may be new returns or other vehicle options not listed in the app yet.

Thanks Drwaz99. I contacted Avis and they weren’t 100% clear on whether I’d be able to use the app when picking up the rental after verification or if it would kick in for the 2nd rental.

kxc262 Jul 15, 2019 12:00 pm

The counter agents have more power to give you a better car upgrade than select-and-go in my experience. YMMV, but just ask the counter agents nicely if they have anything else if you don't like your car.