First Preferred Rental

Old Jul 11, 19, 10:12 am
Original Poster

First Preferred Rental

Hi all,

I'm under the impression that if you rent at Avis as a Preferred member you have to check in at the kiosk to verify information, does that mean you won't have the opportunity to utilize Select & Go or will you have access to it after the verification?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 19, 6:04 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVP; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carroyo47 View Post
Hi all,

I'm under the impression that if you rent at Avis as a Preferred member you have to check in at the kiosk to verify information, does that mean you won't have the opportunity to utilize Select & Go or will you have access to it after the verification?

Thanks!
Iím not entirely sure what you mean. Is ďvisiting the kioskĒ something they told you to do the first time you rent?

In most US airports that I visit, I get a notification on my phone that gives me my car, make, model, mileage, features, and space number. If I like it, I hit confirm. If I donít like it, I hit exchange and see what else is available. If I find one I like (either same price or up charge), I confirm it. (If it doesnít come to my phone, itís usually on a display board at the Preferred Desk. If I like it, I take it, If not, I go to the Preferred Desk to see whatís available.)

Once Iíve confirmed the car, I go directly to the car and drive. The attendant at the exit gate checks my license, prints any necessary paperwork, and opens the gate.

Old Jul 11, 19, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Yes it would be for the first time.
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:15 pm

Yes it would be for the first time.
If by ďkiosk,Ē they mean ďpreferred desk,Ē I would think that anyone at the preferred desk would be able to help you switch vehicles.

If thereís some automated machine that I donít remember, Iíd probably skip it and just go to the preferred desk to validate info and select your car.

What location are you renting from?
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Renting from PDX...Iím guessing that once everything is validated at the kiosk I can use Select and Go in the app right then and there?
Old Jul 11, 19, 8:18 pm

Renting from PDX...Iím guessing that once everything is validated at the kiosk I can use Select and Go in the app right then and there?
That seems like a reasonable assumption. Maybe someone else who remembers their first rental as a preferred customer will chime in. I suspect my first preferred rental was at an outstation where there isnít even a preferred desk, let alone a kiosk.
Old Jul 13, 19, 9:17 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Yes, for your first rental as a Preferred member, you'll have to visit a person at a booth/desk/kiosk/whatever you want to call it. They will verify your driver's license and credit card before you can get into a vehicle and off of the lot. After that, you can skip the counter (where there's a gated lot) and proceed directly to your car. Or use the app to swap cars.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Yes, for your first rental as a Preferred member, you'll have to visit a person at a booth/desk/kiosk/whatever you want to call it. They will verify your driver's license and credit card before you can get into a vehicle and off of the lot. After that, you can skip the counter (where there's a gated lot) and proceed directly to your car. Or use the app to swap cars.
So no possibility of using Select & Go the first time, youíre stuck with what they give you?
Old Jul 13, 19, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
So no possibility of using Select & Go the first time, youíre stuck with what they give you?
If they actually have a S&G row, just ask for something there if you want it. But most places are ditching S&G for the app.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
If they actually have a S&G row, just ask for something there if you want it. But most places are ditching S&G for the app.
I do have the app so hoping thatíll help?
Old Jul 14, 19, 3:17 am

I do have the app so hoping thatíll help?
Most likely what will happen is once you land/an hour or two before you arrive, the app will show you the car you've been assigned. If you don't like it, it'll also show some options you can switch to. If you don't like any of them, once you get to the desk/kiosk/outstation to verify your info, you can always ask if there are any other options you can switch to as there may be new returns or other vehicle options not listed in the app yet.
Old Jul 14, 19, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
Most likely what will happen is once you land/an hour or two before you arrive, the app will show you the car you've been assigned. If you don't like it, it'll also show some options you can switch to. If you don't like any of them, once you get to the desk/kiosk/outstation to verify your info, you can always ask if there are any other options you can switch to as there may be new returns or other vehicle options not listed in the app yet.
Thanks Drwaz99. I contacted Avis and they werenít 100% clear on whether Iíd be able to use the app when picking up the rental after verification or if it would kick in for the 2nd rental.
Old Yesterday, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
The counter agents have more power to give you a better car upgrade than select-and-go in my experience. YMMV, but just ask the counter agents nicely if they have anything else if you don't like your car.