Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Charged extra for returning the car 90 minutes early then refunded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

I booked a car in SAN through an online travel agency for just under two days and then returned it 90 minutes earlier than scheduled. On the way back to the airport I noticed the charge on the receipt was almost double the amount I expected. I spoke with the travel agent and just received this response.

"We regret any misunderstanding about the charges on your reservation. We have contacted Avis Rent a Car on your behalf to verify the breakdown of the charges. We were informed that according to their records, you were billed higher than the estimated charge for returning the car early. When returning the vehicle earlier than scheduled the rate may default. That's what happened in this case. We really did our best working this out with the rental partner to make sure we did not overlook anything and as a result, the rental car company honored the quoted rate and processed a credit in the amount of XXX.XX USD to your American Express card. Please allow 3-5 business days for the credit to reflect in your account."

A satisfactory outcome but I've not come across this before. Has anyone else?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by golfmad
I booked a car in SAN through an online travel agency for just under two days and then returned it 90 minutes earlier than scheduled. On the way back to the airport I noticed the charge on the receipt was almost double the amount I expected. I spoke with the travel agent and just received this response.

"We regret any misunderstanding about the charges on your reservation. We have contacted Avis Rent a Car on your behalf to verify the breakdown of the charges. We were informed that according to their records, you were billed higher than the estimated charge for returning the car early. When returning the vehicle earlier than scheduled the rate may default. That's what happened in this case. We really did our best working this out with the rental partner to make sure we did not overlook anything and as a result, the rental car company honored the quoted rate and processed a credit in the amount of XXX.XX USD to your American Express card. Please allow 3-5 business days for the credit to reflect in your account."

A satisfactory outcome but I've not come across this before. Has anyone else?
Huh. What travel agency did you use? With as crappy as the rental industry is, a site that will go to bat for you like that and has the clout to get stuff like that reversed is probably a good one to use...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:44 pm

It can definitely happen, if you failed to meet the rate requirements the rental company can adjust the rates charged accordingly.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
Huh. What travel agency did you use? With as crappy as the rental industry is, a site that will go to bat for you like that and has the clout to get stuff like that reversed is probably a good one to use...
Priceline.com!

They were extremely helpful. I used their chat service from the airport lounge to raise the query and here we are with a resolution to the problem only 4 days later.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
It can definitely happen, if you failed to meet the rate requirements the rental company can adjust the rates charged accordingly.
At what point is a rental deemed to be completed early? Is it 1 minute or perhaps 10 or 100?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:04 pm

At what point is a rental deemed to be completed early? Is it 1 minute or perhaps 10 or 100?
It could literally be 1 minute, though unlikely. If the rate required a Saturday night keep and you were set to return the car at 1:00 AM on Saturday and you returned it at 11:59 PM on Saturday, your rate could be adjusted.

Now, would that happen in reality, probably not, but its feasible.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
I was due to return the car on Sunday night at 8pm. I actually returned the car at 6:30pm on Sunday night. Would you expect that to fail to meet the rate requirements?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was due to return the car on Sunday night at 8pm. I actually returned the car at 6:30pm on Sunday night. Would you expect that to fail to meet the rate requirements?
What time were you reserved to pick up, and what time did you actually pick up? If it was a 3-day minimum and your rental was originally a 5pm pickup and an 8pm drop-off and you actually picked it up at 5:45pm and dropped it off at 6:30pm, your 3-day rental would have turned into 2 days + 1 hour and could have failed that.

Otherwise, no, I would not expect a 6:30pm Sunday return to cause a re-rate, at least under normal circumstances.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
What time were you reserved to pick up, and what time did you actually pick up? If it was a 3-day minimum and your rental was originally a 5pm pickup and an 8pm drop-off and you actually picked it up at 5:45pm and dropped it off at 6:30pm, your 3-day rental would have turned into 2 days + 1 hour and could have failed that.

Otherwise, no, I would not expect a 6:30pm Sunday return to cause a re-rate, at least under normal circumstances.
Ok, I see where you're coming from.

It was booked for collection at 10pm on Friday and the actual collection time was 10:45pm. It was due for return at 8pm on Sunday and the actual return time was 6:30pm.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, I see where you're coming from.

It was booked for collection at 10pm on Friday and the actual collection time was 10:45pm. It was due for return at 8pm on Sunday and the actual return time was 6:30pm.
That almost certainly shouldn't have affected it. Obviously, it did affect it, but for what reason I do not know why. It was booked for a 2-day rental and it was a 2-day rental and those times are not usual cut-off times for any kinds of special weekend rates, I don't think.

Weird. I guess just be thankful Priceline was able to resolve it for you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.