Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by mlqsko
https://www.lifemiles.com/terms-conditions
c. Redemption of Award Tickets in Airlines members of Star Alliance (including flights combined with routes of AVIANCA)

The charge for redemption of an Award Ticket through www.lifemiles.com with Star Alliance Airlines is US$ 25 + local taxes. Redemption of Award Tickets in other channels shall be subject to a redemption charge depending on the selected route, time in advance of the flight and Elite Status of the redeeming member.
Thanks mate for digging this out from the T&C of LM. That is some effort! Appreciate it very much. I wonder how competent Avianca agents are, if they couldn't explain this $25 charge to me. They kept on referring to them as taxes.

So if I understood it correctly, you pay $25 regardless of whether you book online or call them?
Old May 23, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yes, 25$ applies to any booking.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Yes, 25$ applies to any booking.
Not on only avianca. Also not on intra US flights coming this summer it will be 10-25$.

Otherwise yes.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Is all UA availability not showing up on lifemiles right now?
Ive tried a couple routes and haven't shown any dates open on awards where UA is wide open.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:27 am

Best way to deal with this is calling to book over the phone? This happens after 'continue to travelers' button is selected.

Sorry, we could not process your request, please try again.
If the problem persists contact our Call center Option 3 or send us an email to %[email protected]?subject=e3%...019%2009:26:38

LifeMiles Team.
E3 13441392226 26/05/2019 09:26:38}
Old May 26, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Yes. You can call in for this.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Yes. You can call in for this.
ok thanks, must be a current issue with united. LH first class opened up and is letting me book... I just wish LM would let me have a longer layover than 1 hour in fra. (flight is in 48 hrs or less)
Old May 27, 2019, 1:45 pm

I've been trying for the last hour or two to book CAI-YYZ-IAD (CAI-YYZ on MS, and YYZ-IAD on AC). I get the error after clicking to add the traveler names. I've tried different browsers, and calling. They're saying that they have an "ongoing issue" with booking AC. Has anyone found any workarounds? I sent an email to support as well.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
All - I just signed up for Avianca and LifeMiles. Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can go to the Avianca site and see flights in both Economy and Business from ORD - BOG for sale. When I go to the LifeMiles site, enter the same routes on the same days, I go through Step 1, Departure Date, Step 2 Return Date, then stall there. All I get for every Departure flight date is "Not available"

I am signed in to both Avianca and LifeMiles.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
If you have a record locator you can call Avianca and select (eventually) option '3' for Lifemiles, then option '1' (which is something like 'program information, but actually gets you through to the call centre).

Ask them to rerieve the booking and see what's happening. If you book twice you run the risk of the same error happening, or a duplicate in which the airline cancels one or both bookings, or being left with two bookings and having to pay the cancel fee on one of them.
I was flying a united express flight from SFO to ONT. Apparently, AV says lifemiles does not fly to ontario (or any other united express destination), even though the lifemiles website lists it. So strange, I booked again to burbank to test, and it was canceled as well. I ended up flying to LAX last week and same day changing to a better timeslot!

That's weird that UX flights get canceled using lifemiles even though it shows up as available on the lifemiles site
Old May 28, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by HappyTravelingConsultant
All - I just signed up for Avianca and LifeMiles. Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can go to the Avianca site and see flights in both Economy and Business from ORD - BOG for sale. When I go to the LifeMiles site, enter the same routes on the same days, I go through Step 1, Departure Date, Step 2 Return Date, then stall there. All I get for every Departure flight date is "Not available"
It sounds like there are no award flights available for your desired route and dates. Award availability is quite limited. Try doing a "dates flexible" search and show the full calendar.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by anabolism
It sounds like there are no award flights available for your desired route and dates. Award availability is quite limited. Try doing a "dates flexible" search and show the full calendar.
Ahhhhh...so unlike American or United where they show flights with absurd mileage requirements, I won't see Avianca/LifeMiles unless there are saver equivalent awards?
Old May 28, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Ahhhhh...so unlike American or United where they show flights with absurd mileage requirements, I won't see Avianca/LifeMiles unless there are saver equivalent awards?
Correct. But even then, LM may not show all 'saver' award space that you can see on other star booking tools such as United or Aeroplan. So for example United may show Lufthansa first class, or may show multi leg connections, but Lifemiles just won't have those as options.

Lifemiles can be cheap, but there are some major restrictions.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:00 pm

Correct. But even then, LM may not show all 'saver' award space that you can see on other star booking tools such as United or Aeroplan. So for example United may show Lufthansa first class, or may show multi leg connections, but Lifemiles just won't have those as options.

Lifemiles can be cheap, but there are some major restrictions.
Thank you very much - understood.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Even American and United don't have different mileage rates and hence different availability for partner flights, only for their own metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.