Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by snic
To my astonishment, I successfully booked two different *A itineraries just now, with no errors and no need to involve LifeMiles support. A few things about the process:

1. Surprisingly, United didn't show the flights I was interested in, but LifeMiles did. I was convinced this was a LM glitch, but I was wrong.
A little surprising about United not showing the flights. Thanks for the details!

But LM sometimes shows ghost availability. At what point do we know if not a LM glitch?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by rrgg
Can I ask which airline? I'm guessing something like J in LH/LX/OS.
You're on the right track .

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
A little surprising about United not showing the flights. Thanks for the details!

But LM sometimes shows ghost availability. At what point do we know if not a LM glitch?
Ha, when you try to book and it gives you an error. But then it still might be a glitch, in which case you email support. By the time they get to it, the seats will be gone. Either way, no soup for you.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by iluvdoco

My rule of thumb is to triple check using United, Aeroplan and ANA websites. If at least two of the three websites show the availability, then it is not phantom space.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:28 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
On a recent booking (about 10 days ago) I found that United lags on updating Saver availability on at least OZ:

I was checking daily for my preferred flights on OZ BKK-ICN-JFK. One day, LM suddenly showed one seat open a day earlier than I wanted. I verified on Expert Flyer that one seat was open in X. UA didn't show it available. I thought about it a couple hours, and then decided to depart a day earlier to get that one X seat. By then UA showed it available, as well as LM.

After I had a confirmation number from LM and went to the OZ website to verify it was ticketed, I went back to UA web site and it was still showing available, while ExpertFlyer and LM didn't. The next day it was gone on UA.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:02 pm

I find a lot more availability on UA site than on LM, pretty much for any route. Is that not usual?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by br2k
I find a lot more availability on UA site than on LM, pretty much for any route. Is that not usual?
Always.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
With the new booking engine I've been really struggling with an Air Canada award on the newish flight out of BNE, which appears on the Star Alliance list but errors out when selected. Also the new SYD-IAH on United (on which I did manage to book an award when the old search engine briefly appeared one night.) It's clear these flights haven't been programmed into the AV engine because you can't select AC and choose BNE-YVR, it responds route not available for AC. Similarly with UA SYD-IAH. But they do come up if you select *A, however it fails on the next screen.

AC awards on regular routes have also been failing most times recently. And don't even mention awards on SAS, this airline desn't exist for Avianca.

Whereas the MP award booking engine (United) seems to have improved a lot and is showing ingenious if somewhat contorted routes rather than saying nothing-available.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by br2k
Yeah, I think that's the usual. Which is one reason why I'm glad that with my latest LM booking, I spent my LifeMiles and Citi points balances down to 0, will cancel my Citi cards soon, and I'm done with LM for the time being. Chase UR --> UA miles is just safer and generally less hassle. I'm not sure that the opportunity to buy points tickets with dollars is really worth the hassle of dealing with LM.

Originally Posted by harryhv
Whereas the MP award booking engine (United) seems to have improved a lot and is showing ingenious if somewhat contorted routes rather than saying nothing-available.
That's my experience as well. BOM-ADD-JFK, anyone? I was sorely tempted, but the layover in Addis Ababa was only 50 minutes and I didn't want to get stuck there.

LM certainly didn't show me that route!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If it weren't for UA's "expedited" award fees, I would have been done with Lifemiles quite sometime ago. Amusingly in a way, UA is the reason I still find Lifemiles useful. How so? I still find Lifemiles a good value for redeeming for UA flights booked say 1-2 days before travel on domestic UA flights. Otherwise, my use for Lifemiles is a fraction of what it used to be.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:57 pm

I am considering getting into Lifemiles now that it is a TYP transfer option. The no YQ policy, and the supposedly short transfer time, makes it look very attractive, especially for flights to Europe. Based on the problems I see here do you guys think its worth using Lifemiles or sticking with Krisflyer for TYP star alliance awards?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Depends on your tolerance for the various frustrations of LifeMiles. Also depends on what routes you are looking for, since the two programs have different award pricing rules and region definitions.
You'll likely need to research both before coming to a conclusion. Any questions about Krisflyer should be addressed in their forum and not here.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by longnight
I am considering getting into Lifemiles now that it is a TYP transfer option. The no YQ policy, and the supposedly short transfer time, makes it look very attractive, especially for flights to Europe. Based on the problems I see here do you guys think its worth using Lifemiles or sticking with Krisflyer for TYP star alliance awards?
The short transfer time is a plus, compared to SQ where it takes longer (although I can't remember whether I transferred from Amex or Citi to SQ). But that's balanced by the potential frustration that when you find a flight that's supposedly available, it's either (a) not really available, or (b) not bookable due to the ridiculous LM website glitches. Problem (a) can be mitigated by checking multiple sites (UA, AC, ANA) before transferring miles and trying to book, as someone suggested above. There's no solution for the glitches other than to email screenshots to LM support and wait for them to fix the problem (which can take days, clearly cancelling out any advantage of the instant transfer). If their support were more like that of every other airline (you call in and speak to a representative who can do the booking for you), then LM would be a no-brainer because of the absence of YQ charges and the ability to combine transferred miles with relatively inexpensive purchased points. The only negatives would then be that LM's *A availability is reputed to be less generous than that of other *A carriers, and also creative routings can't be put together - the web interface has to suggest a routing, otherwise there is no way to book it (e.g., via an agent or multi-city search, which prices the individual legs separately).

By the way, the one time I had a credit card --> airline transfer not go through, it was from Citi to LM. The points disappeared from my Citi account but didn't show up in LM. The next day I logged in to Citi and the points were back, with a note in the activity log saying the transfer had failed. It went through instantly when I tried again.

Finally, it could be that the website glitches are slowly being worked out with the implementation of the new interface. Selling miles seems to be quite lucrative for LM - maybe they realize that they could sell even more with a functional web interface. Time will tell.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: most of them
Glad to see it looks like things have finally been more or less fixed (at least on my end). Searches seem fairly quick. Was able to complete bookings. It is interesting the way it is charging mixed cabin awards. I booked IAD-FRA-HAM for 63K all in C on LH and then WAW-ORD-IAD for 58+K in C on Lot and then Y on UA.

I wish their website would show more details of booked itineraries.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Sorry to ask, but what is a TYP transfer option?
wpcoe likes this.

Last edited by broland; Mar 20, 2018 at 4:42 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: most of them
Citi Thank You Points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.