FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Asiana AMEX gone? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1280248-asiana-amex-gone.html)

ynguldyn Feb 16, 2012 8:50 am

The card is now as good as gone for existing users too: BofA just sent me a letter with new earning structure: 1x everything, 2x grocery/gas, 3x airfare, effective 4/22.

It was good while it lasted. I'll go find another card for *A now.

Ducati Feb 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by ynguldyn (Post 18026921)
The card is now as good as gone for existing users too: BofA just sent me a letter with new earning structure: 1x everything, 2x grocery/gas, 3x airfare, effective 4/22.

It was good while it lasted. I'll go find another card for *A now.

Well, that sux! May have to go back to the Starwood card. Anyone else?

moolman Feb 18, 2012 4:09 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................. .............

This card has been my main card for the past couple of years. I haven't recieved anything yet but I don't doubt it. Already lost the Schwab 2% when BofA canceled it.

I'm going to be stumped now on what card to make my main one. I prefer miles to cashback.

The Asiana website is whacked when it comes to prices. I think they use expedia's engine, looks similar at least. But prices are always more expensive on the Asiana website than travelocity or expedia. Hence, I buy tickets from them instead of the direct website, unless of course it's within $100.

dcmike Feb 19, 2012 7:28 am

I haven't received the notification yet, but will be canceling when I get it. Booooo! :td:

crazyMRer Feb 19, 2012 8:13 am

Originally Posted by moolman (Post 18038475)
I'm going to be stumped now on what card to make my main one. I prefer miles to cashback.

See post 12 for the only card that still earns 2 Star miles/$ on everything.

Your other best option for miles is SPG Amex - convert to airlines only during transfer promos. For example, last Spring during a US SPG promo, 20K SPG converted to 42K US Airways miles.

If you don't need actual miles, the Citi Thank You Premier Elite effectively gives 2.6 cents back (in revenue flights on any airline) per $ spent (if you properly take advantage of the free flight point matching, earning 2 instead 1 point/$ everywhere).

samurai06 Feb 19, 2012 9:31 am

The 2x per $1 is gone. I just got the letter from BOA as well. Now I need to find a new card that gives 2x for $1. Any out there?

moolman Feb 20, 2012 9:45 am

I got the letter yesterday.

Starting 4/22/2012

1 mile for everything
2 miles for gas and groceries
3 miles for Asiana tickets

Gone is the extra mile for the select few Korean markets, so now you get 2 miles instead of 3.

Everything else is the same, 10K cert, 2 lounge passes for you + 1 guest, $100 per calendar year rebate on tickets that are bought directly through Asiana. (doesn't work through expedia, travelocity, etc. because you are charged by those companies but when I bought from a real TA, the charge comes through from Asiana and I got my rebate)

Annual fee is still $99.

As mentioned above, I'm thinking of going back to SPG Amex, cancelled my card years ago. Going to have to go crawling back to Amex for the card. They became really stingy in the last couple of years with credit.

Will look into the Citipoints then too.

moolman Feb 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Update: Just bought a ticket on expedia for United. Was charged by United directly for the ticket. It must of changed. I looked at my records when I bought a ticket on travelocity for Asiana, I was charged by Travelocity. Did not get the $100 rebate for the Asiana Amex but I knew I would take advantage of it at another time during the year so I let it go.

Ducati Feb 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by crazyMRer (Post 18043754)
See post 12 for the only card that still earns 2 Star miles/$ on everything.

Your other best option for miles is SPG Amex - convert to airlines only during transfer promos. For example, last Spring during a US SPG promo, 20K SPG converted to 42K US Airways miles.

If you don't need actual miles, the Citi Thank You Premier Elite effectively gives 2.6 cents back (in revenue flights on any airline) per $ spent (if you properly take advantage of the free flight point matching, earning 2 instead 1 point/$ everywhere).

That fidelity card only transfers to Aeroplan? That would mean codeshare award tix? How is that?

Do you know how often SPG has transfer promotions? And have they ever done it for asiana or united?

crazyMRer Feb 22, 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Ducati (Post 18060038)
That fidelity card only transfers to Aeroplan? That would mean codeshare award tix? How is that?

Do you know how often SPG has transfer promotions? And have they ever done it for asiana or united?

That BofA Fidelity card earns your choice of cashback or WorldPoints - choose Worldpoints and you can transfer them to Aeroplan. Yes, that is the only airline transfer partner. And this is the ONLY card currently available to US residents that can earn you 2 airline miles/$ spent on all categories of purchases.

SPG has transfer promos all the time if you consider ALL airlines but I don't remember an Asiana or United transfer promo. SPG: US Airways and British Airways seem to happen once a year or so; more often than other airlines.

Remember, ANY star alliance miles are valid for all other star carriers - subject to low level saver miles availability. No codeshares involved. Rather you redeem directly US Airways or Aeroplan or other Star miles for travel on Asiana or All Nippon or Lufthansa etc. In most cases, all star carriers have access to the same limited pool of seats no matter what program you are redeeming from.

Ducati Feb 22, 2012 3:20 pm

^
The reason why I like Asiana is the ability to share miles among family members for no added cost. But I can redeem award tickets for a companion with my miles on US Air, BA, and Aeroplan?

I never redeemed Asiana miles with other airlines, so this is new to me.

BTW, your info on this thread has been very helpful.

crazyMRer Feb 22, 2012 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ducati (Post 18064365)
^
The reason why I like Asiana is the ability to share miles among family members for no added cost. But I can redeem award tickets for a companion with my miles on US Air, BA, and Aeroplan?

I never redeemed Asiana miles with other airlines, so this is new to me.

BTW, your info on this thread has been very helpful.

BA also allows mileage pooling between accounts but in most cases the Aeroplan and US Airways mileage charts are a much better value. Neither US or AC allow family accounts. One thing to note is that BA and AC (Aeroplan) charge fuel surcharges on redemption tickets while US Airways does not. On many routes/airlines the fuel surcharge is a lot of money...making US Airways miles more valuable....but future transfer promos SPG : US Airways are far from guaranteed. History may or may not continue to repeat itself when it comes to airline promos.

You can use Oneworld miles in any Oneworld program, for travel on ANY/ALL Oneworld airlines (subject to availability).

You can use Star miles in any Star program, for travel on ANY/ALL Star airlines (subject to availability).

You can use Skyteam miles in any Skyteam program, for travel on ANY/ALL Skyteam airlines (subject to availability).

While all the miles can access the other alliance airlines seats, the mileage redemption charts vary greatly. Each airline has its own chart and rules. In some cases, one airline charges more than 2x the number of miles to fly a specific award flight compared to another for the same exact flight. A smart thing to do is to compare the miles required between programs for the flights you are most likely to redeem for.

In the case of most FF programs (and all N American programs), an account holder can redeem miles for any third party to travel, not just themselves.

srt8-blue Mar 7, 2012 5:54 pm

I can't believe they are changing the terms. I recently booked 2 F tickets to Europe in October for 220,000 miles. And now our account is just short of 220,000 miles, so better use this card to top off and then cancel.

It was good while it lasted.

Ducati Mar 8, 2012 10:09 am

Originally Posted by crazyMRer (Post 17705242)
The best remaining card to earn 2 Star Alliance Miles per $ spent on everything is the Fidelity Investment Rewards American Express Card.

http://personal.fidelity.com/product...rds_card.shtml

2 points per dollar - all categories of purchases.

Points can be transfered to Air Canada Aeroplan 1:1

You do not need to open an investment account with Fidelity to earn reward points with their credit card.

I read somewhere that this is going to. Of course, I can't find the article again...

edta450 Mar 9, 2012 9:20 pm

Can you opt-out this T&C change?

My amex asiana is good till 2014, so I would keep the current mileage earning scheme. Is it possible to send them written opt-out request and keep the current terms?