Search

Lap child in quadra smartium

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH Plat
Lap child in quadra smartium

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any experience flying with a child in the new C. Or maybe knew where the bassinets were located? Are they with the pair seat or the window seat? I've been in the ANA staggered C, which I believe is similar (minus the pair seats) and the bassinets were in the front rows, on a table-like thing where the seat in front would have been so plenty of space - is this the same for new OZ?

Many thanks
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:26 pm

I am travelling on OZ214 in July.. so have been avidly looking for photos of the new seats ()...

At some point in my googling I'm sure I saw a short video that included a shot of a bassinet being set up.. and it was at the REAR bulkhead middle seats... on the broad table in between them...

EDIT: Yep... found it again....

Try googling "Asiana OZ Quadra Smartium-MBC"

That shot is right at the end of the film clip....
Old May 1, 2011, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks trooper, that's exactly what I needed.

Looks good and plenty of room. Interesting how different OZ's implementation of those seats is. I wonder what they've done with their dead space at the front - though I guess those tray tables would block it. Looks like the tray tables will be a lot more convenient than the ANA set up and I prefer the idea of the middle seats together when travelling as a couple.

Hope you have an excellent flight in July ^

E2A - just took a look a the seat map and realised that the bassinet seats are not the pair ones, with the fitting over deeper tables middle in between aisle seats. Hmm, not so good on the privacy and space front. The front seats also seem to have the extra big tables, wonder if there are fittings there too.

Last edited by BalbC; May 1, 2011 at 12:25 pm Reason: add
Old May 1, 2011, 2:29 am

Good question...

The clip wasn't all that useful I suppose.. what was it, 2 or 3 seconds?

If I was flying before you I'd investigate!

At present I've selected 3A and 4A.. from a fairly small number of available seats... but am wondering whether to go for the separated middle pair (4D & G) instead...

Hmmmm...
Old May 1, 2011, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

2 seconds is all I needed! It is useful to get an idea of the layout. It looks like the side tables are slightly deeper, but the bassinet would still impinge into them a bit. Doesnt look from the seat plan that there are more fittings on the table on the window seats at the back they have a different symbol for the bigger side tables maybe the extra space there is used as closets or something. Still wondering if there are also fittings in the front row, but I guess 2 bassinet positions out of 24 seats is probably the only allocation they would need. Shame, as Im not liking that configuration much.

Im probably not the best person to make suggestions, having not even been in the new cabin, but basing it on my experience on ANA, I would say that if traveling with a companion in 3A and 4A, communication would be difficult but maybe youd prefer that. The advantage is that one is a true window seat, which is truly private and lovely. The separated pair would have the advantage of being able to see each other, if you leant forward, although the distance is greater. Though, the gap between the table and the seat in front is wide enough to walk though, so easy to wonder over if you needed anything. Disadvantage is you both have aisle seats, which are absolutely fine, but are not so private and the FA has to lean over you to access your side table. Tricky - maybe the front pair is only released later? But it is all conjecture on my part. Hopefully, someone who has seen and traveled on this layout will come past and give you (and me!) better advice.
Old May 2, 2011, 4:27 am

Very good points... I should have mentioned that my buddy and I do not sit "together" on flights... we spend the rest of the 2/3 weeks trips "in company" so don't feel the need to sit next to each other in the air!

Given we read/watch movies/sleep/whatever it doesn't seem to be necessary to us... even on the longest longhauls..

..so you can imagine just how sympathetic I am to folks wanting my (carefully chosen) seat on a short flight.."So we can sit together"... (HA!!!)
Old May 2, 2011, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Yep, I completely agree.
In that case, stick with 4A I guess. That way you get all the privacy and can have stuff cleared away and drinks served without any disruptions. I guess the only advantage of the aisle-side seating like 3A would be to get out, whilst your tray table was laid up. But as I say, I don't really know what I'm talking about.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Just to round off this thread in case anyone else searches for this information.

I've finally heard back from OZ customer services (they did take an inordinately long time to respond though). They confirm that the bassinet positions on the new 772 layout are 6D and 6G. Which is exactly what the video linked by trooper previously showed.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nogbad
Just to round off this thread in case anyone else searches for this information.
To further round this off, having flown this last month.
Couple of points - the basinet is smaller on OQS than one used in all the other cabin (old C cabin/current F and Y cabins), so the limit is lower 10kg/71cm versus 14kg/76cm.
The basinet is on the side tables - these seats are at the back of the cabin so their tables are much bigger than the normal OQS seats - but with a basinet attached the space is back to normal. There are fittings for basinets for both D and G seats. The FA had never fitted one there before, so I ended up attaching it myself.
I found the position in between us much more convenient than in front on the bulkhead like in the old config. Although, the seats are far apart, this worked out well as we staggered the meal service and could have a nice relaxed meal, with out avoiding grabbing hands when the sproglet is on a lap in a seat close next to you.
One other useful thing with the layout was that when we extended the footrests completely, a safe enclosed well area was formed between D/G seats in front of the tables, where little Nogbad was left to happily play and crawl.
Worked out well and the seat was pretty good too (not quite as good as the other staggered seat I've used (ANA) - hopefully I'll write a comparison shortly)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.