SGN stay open overnight? UA 6:00 am out / transit hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star

So I may be arriving rather late into SGN. Past 10 pm. If I'm too darn tired, I'd be interested in knowing whether or not the airport stays open and if I can just hang out in airport till check-in for the UA flight at I guess around 4 am ish to Hong Kong.

Also any idea of what *A lounges / showers may be available in the international terminal to UA 1k *G passengers?

Thanks much
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:49 pm

Even if you can, you definitely don't want to hang out at the airport. There's absoutely nothing there.

If I remember correctly, you have to go through immigration right when you arrive. So it's not like a lot of airports where you can linger. Then you'll be outside the airport and won't be able to get back in until check in opens.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:52 pm

Agreed. The airport is definitely sparse, you'll find you are really no longer in Kansas. You are basically pushed out onto the street as you exit. I found it a bit overwhelming as you exit the United plane and a few minutes later you are on a busy sidewalk trying to hail a cab. I'd recommend having a place booked for your wait.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by ozone92
Agreed. The airport is definitely sparse, you'll find you are really no longer in Kansas. You are basically pushed out onto the street as you exit. I found it a bit overwhelming as you exit the United plane and a few minutes later you are on a busy sidewalk trying to hail a cab. I'd recommend having a place booked for your wait.
Not to mention the airport is close to town, so in 15 minutes, you can be staying at a decent hotel for a reasonable price...

You do need a visa if you are an American citizen. Can be gotten over the internet and then processed as a visa on arrival, but it'll cost you an additional ~$45.

But there is nothing at the airport, and I doubt the *G lounge stays open 24/7- was only there during normal operating hours.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by friendlyplanet
Not to mention the airport is close to town, so in 15 minutes, you can be staying at a decent hotel for a reasonable price...

You do need a visa if you are an American citizen. Can be gotten over the internet and then processed as a visa on arrival, but it'll cost you an additional ~$45.

But there is nothing at the airport, and I doubt the *G lounge stays open 24/7- was only there during normal operating hours.
I sent Visa papers to Vietnamese Consulate in San Francisco along with passport and money order for $80. All paperwork was processed and Visa received in four working days.

I understand most airlines either have lounges at the airport or have a reciprocal agreement that allows club members passage. I'd call UA and ask about this specifically.

Park Royal hotel is two miles from airport and has half day rates. They also have a courtesy shuttle.

Last edited by maltasr; Sep 7, 2009 at 2:45 pm Reason: Deleted run on sentence.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 1:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
SGN Visa on Arrival

Originally Posted by maltasr
I sent Visa papers to Vietnamese Consulate in San Francisco along with passport and money order for $80. All paperwork was processed and Visa received in four working days.
I used www.myvietnamvisa.com. I sent them details of my travel, passport information, etc, and paid a fee of ~$23. Two days later, I got an official Visa on Entry letter. I delivered the letter, two passport photos and $25 to the Visa on Arrival desk at HCM airport and picked up my visa there.

The advantages of this is not having to send off your passport or get a money order (also it's cheaper). The disadvantage is that the Visa on Arrival office in HCM is painfully slow, and took almost an hour to process my visa- still faster than going to the embassy...

Taxis at HCM airport are plentiful and very cheap, if the OP wants to go to another hotel.

Friendly
Old Sep 9, 2009, 1:19 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
The disadvantage is that the Visa on Arrival office in HCM is painfully slow, and took almost an hour to process my visa- still faster than going to the embassy...
And during this time your luggage is going around and around the carousel. They no longer check baggage tags on exit at SGN (international).
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:37 pm

The disadvantage is that the Visa on Arrival office in HCM is painfully slow, and took almost an hour to process my visa- still faster than going to the embassy...
I found the process to be quite smooth. Even without my having the secondary form I needed, it took less than 15 minutes to get my Visa. And immigration in the new terminal is quite fast now compared to the old terminal. Even with several wide body aircraft landing at the same time, it rarely takes more than 15-20 minutes to get through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.