Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Kuala Lumpur

Going to be in Singapore end of Jan and was thinking to pop over to KL since I've never been to Malaysia. Was thinking 4 nights. Any suggestions for what I can see and perhaps a hotel recommendation? Looks like I can get a 5* luxury hotel at the $100-$120 range.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Majestic Hotel is very nice. Especially if you can score a room in the historic part of the building. Highly recommended.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tvhead
Majestic Hotel is very nice. Especially if you can score a room in the historic part of the building. Highly recommended.
I've got Titanium status with Marriott so that actually is good. Good location for the Majestic? I like to walk.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:06 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
I've never stayed at the Majestic, but it's close to the Islamic Arts Museum, which is worth a couple of hours.

I generally stay, for convenience, at the Aloft Sentral. Lots of transportation connections and good restaurants in this area. Heli Lounge is really fun.

Travelfish on KL for more ideas.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjh
I've never stayed at the Majestic, but it's close to the Islamic Arts Museum, which is worth a couple of hours.

I generally stay, for convenience, at the Aloft Sentral. Lots of transportation connections and good restaurants in this area. Heli Lounge is really fun.

Travelfish on KL for more ideas.
Thanks, that one looks good as well, and cheap.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:34 pm
rjh

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Thanks, that one looks good as well, and cheap.
Just to mention that walking in KL can be a real pain. I walked from Masjid Jamek transit to the Islamic Arts museum, which was supposed to be 1.8km, 23 minute and fussed around for maybe 20-30 minutes more dodging traffic. I took Grab back to the hotel.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Going to be in Singapore end of Jan and was thinking to pop over to KL since I've never been to Malaysia. Was thinking 4 nights. Any suggestions for what I can see and perhaps a hotel recommendation? Looks like I can get a 5* luxury hotel at the $100-$120 range.
Depends when exactly the end of January. The lunar/Chinese New year falls on 25 January next year. The few days leading up to the New Year can be a bit chaotic whilst the few days after is really peaceful (no traffic anywhere but a lot of shops, especially mom and pop shops [not shopping malls], will be closed).

The Le Meridien KL is a great hotel. Right next to KL Sentral (misnomer, not exactly in the city centre, but it's a transportation hub). The lounge and service is wonderful and I believe they still offer Platinums and higher breakfast buffet in the restaurant (as of last year). Other good bets in the Marriott Group include Westin and JW Marriott (right in the Golden Triangle / Starhill shopping area), W (next to the Petronas Twin Towers), Element (rooms are kinda meh but new).

I've got Titanium status with Marriott so that actually is good. Good location for the Majestic? I like to walk.
The Majestic is good if you want to walk to the Lake Gardens (Taman Tasik Perdana), Islamic Arts Centre, National Mosque, the old train station, but there isn't much around there besides that (not exactly convenient for public transportation but Grab (SE Asia's Uber) is cheap). The Westin, JW Marriott, W, and Element is more suitable for walking (I can walk to a lot of places from those hotels).

Originally Posted by rjh
Just to mention that walking in KL can be a real pain. I walked from Masjid Jamek transit to the Islamic Arts museum, which was supposed to be 1.8km, 23 minute and fussed around for maybe 20-30 minutes more dodging traffic. I took Grab back to the hotel.
That part of town isn't pedestrian friendly. I think you walked on a relatively major road (Jalan Kinabalu?).
seavisionburma and Sandeep1 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:47 pm
rjh

Originally Posted by nov11
That part of town isn't pedestrian friendly. I think you walked on a relatively major road (Jalan Kinabalu?).
Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin and by Taman Megalith Petronas. I mostly walk in neighborhoods, not between them as in this case. My mistake.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
My hotel budgets tend to be a good bit less than most people here and I never got to play the points game with that, but location-wise I'd say it's hard to beat the Bukit Bintang intersection. Though I've also stayed near Sentral, especially after a favorite BB budget option that was at RM 69 got a renovation and doubled that rate (probably more like triple now).

They once were charging around RM10 more than I expected and I asked why, and they said because it was Thaipusam at the Batu Caves. I went to that just to check it out...if you get the chance you definitely should.)
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:15 am

There are many hotels to choose. the price is reasonable.

No need to walk around from one place to the other. Just call for a Grab -so convenient and cheap. Price is fixed most of the time. Make sure that you have the Grab app in your mobile.
Sandeep1 likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 25, 2019 at 11:57 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Going to be in Singapore end of Jan and was thinking to pop over to KL since I've never been to Malaysia. Was thinking 4 nights.
If you want to see Malaysia, I'd suggest to go to some other place instead of KL. Select - Malacca, Penang/Georgetown, Kuching.

But if you are only going in places where is Marriot, then yes, KL is the only option.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
I've got Titanium status with Marriott so that actually is good.
Originally Posted by invisible
If you want to see Malaysia, I'd suggest to go to some other place instead of KL. Select - Malacca, Penang/Georgetown, Kuching.

But if you are only going in places where is Marriott, then yes, KL is the only option.
I'm pretty sure what the OP means is that he's fine with any hotel under Marriott Rewards, not just specifically a Marriott, in which case he's actually got the choice of 30+ hotels in 10 or so cities across Malaysia.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Too much travel
I'm pretty sure what the OP means is that he's fine with any hotel under Marriott Rewards, not just specifically a Marriott, in which case he's actually got the choice of 30+ hotels in 10 or so cities across Malaysia.
Yeah I'll be in Singapore and just thought a quick easy flight to KL would be a cheap easy to see a bit of Malaysia. It wasn't really meant as an in-depth Malaysia tour.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Yeah I'll be in Singapore and just thought a quick easy flight to KL would be a cheap easy to see a bit of Malaysia. It wasn't really meant as an in-depth Malaysia tour.
If you want to see something better than concrete jungles, instead of KL fly to Penang or Kuching.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
If you want to see something better than concrete jungles, instead of KL fly to Penang or Kuching.
So I think I've settled on seeing Malaysia after Singapore and before I go to Japan. So maybe a couple days in KL and then one of the above, Penang or Kuching. Any suggestion between the two?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.