Reload this Page >

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stephem
Moderator note: this Wikipost provides general visa guidelines and summarizes the information provided by FT members throughout this thread. Businesses mentioned in this wiki are in no way endorsed or recommended by FlyerTalk, and advertising is prohibited. FlyerTalk's commercial post rule is strictly enforced in this thread, and all spam-like posts will be immediately removed.

Vietnam Visa Information

Main source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam - Visa Application and Information - includes fillable application (external website)

Transit Without Visa

Vietnam permits foreigners to transit without a visa (TWOV) provided they remain inside the airport transit areas while awaiting an onward flight out of the country within 24 hours of arrival. Travelers are not allowed to leave the airport without a visa.

Visa Exemption for Phu Quoc Island

If you are only visiting Phu Quoc Island, guess what, you probably don't need a visa at all! There is a 30 day visa exception for Phu Quoc visits, and many people report being able to transit in HAN or SGN en route to PQC. But there are now direct flights to PQC and that allows you to avoid having to get a visa at all. Worth considering...

Regular Visa in Advance of Travel

Foreigners may obtain a visa at the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Prices are not published and appear to vary from location to location. Most recent reports suggest a typical fee of approximately USD 100.

ONLINE APPLICATION LOOSE LEAF VISA
Vietnam Visa Online Application and instructions:
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process

From what I've learned, you attach the three (3) files listed below to an email along with your credit card number and the visa section will mail back a loose leaf visa.

As of December, 2015, the fees are $80 = 1 month visa, $20 = overnight USPS, $10 priority mail. Multiple entry visas are available.

Fill out the online application form.
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process
Follow "online form" link. Choose language top right.

Including uploading to the application a correctly sized photo, 2x2 inches (website will check and confirm) that will propagate into the application.

Print out the application form, sign, scan as .pdf file. Attach the .pdf to your email.

Attach a correctly sized photo (2x2 inches).

Attach a scanned a copy of your passport (photo, personal detail pages and signature page).

Include your credit card number. The visa section will charge your card for visa type and USPS Express return a loose leaf visa.

Ask politely for the tracking number and total charges.

Call Embassy Visa to double check the above details and current email address: 202. 861. 0737, x118/121/122/123/125

As of December, 2015, the email address to send the application is: [email protected].

Visa Exemption

Those traveling on passports issued by the following nations are generally exempt from visa requirements for varying durations of stay: Belarus, Brunei, Cambodia, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand and UK. See the entry visa exemption list at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for duration of stay info.

eVisa

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en...trang-chu-ttdt

List of countries eligible for eVisa: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/do...b-91595a4f5867 (link updated 2017-12-19, note new list can be published with different link) 35 more countries were announced as eligible for e-visa on Feb 20, 2019. Total is now 81 countries. See post 1561 for new additions (government website is down currently, will update with link here when possible).

Remember to print out the e-visa form they give you, as they will request it on arrival and on departure!

Some ports of entry require the evisa to be validated on arrival. In particular DAD has been cited in the thread as requiring the evisa holder to be processed at the VOA desk. Takes about 15 mins.

Visa On Arrival (VOA) at Airport Border Entries

Travelers planning to obtain a VOA should arrive with the following documents:

• VOA approval letter
  • Completed VISA APPLICATION which can be downloaded from most VOA service provider websites (travelers are advised to print the form on A4-size paper as there have been reports of US letter-size paper being refused)
  • One passport-type photo
  • Cash for visa stamp fee (see below)

VOA stamp fees for Non-USA passport holders (as of December 2019) are US$25 for a single entry of 1 or 3 months validity, US$50 for multiple entry of 1 or 3 months validity or US$100 for multiple entry 1 year validity.

For USA passport holders, there was a temporary increase from September to December of 2016, up to $135. However Effective December 15, 2016 the $135 stamping fee for US citizens has been dropped, and there are reports US passport holders can be issued VOA letters for single entry 30 day visas again AND that US citizens should only have to pay a $25 stamp fee at on collection of VOA. In late December, there were reports are that the desks in HAN and DAD did not receive the memo, so YMMV until the airport desks "get the memo."

This fee must be paid at the VOA counter on arrival , and is in addition to whatever fees you have paid the VOA service provider for the invitation letter. Payments are accepted in Vietnamese Dong, USD or Euros.

Visa on arrival (VOA) is permitted for one of the following purposes:

• Attend the funeral of family member or visit a family member in critical condition;
    • Arrival from a country where there is no Vietnamese diplomatic mission/consular office;
      • Visit Vietnam on tours organized by Vietnamese international travel agencies;
        • Provide emergency technical assistance for construction works, projects; emergency treatment for critical patients or accident victims; emergency relief in cases of natural disasters or epidemics in Vietnam;
          • For other urgent reasons.

There are countless service providers on the internet that offer VOA approval letters for a fee. Legitimate providers are licensed travel agencies, thus meeting the highlighted criterion above. Those planning to obtain a VOA approval letter are advised to take steps to ensure they are working with a licensed Vietnam travel agency or tour operator. Some Vietnam hotels are also able to provide this service.

Some VOA service providers offer expedited processing for same day or 30 minutes turnaround on issuance of VOA letter and priority processing upon arrival at the airport in Vietnam for an additional fee.

Advantages of VOA include lower cost than embassy-issued visa, eliminates the need to visit an embassy or mail passport for advance visa, and faster receipt of VOA approval letter (sent via email).

Disadvantages of VOA include longer immigration processing upon arrival, with potentially long waits for receipt of visa (usually 10-20 min., but longer waits do occur); privacy concerns due to inclusion of personal data for multiple unrelated travelers on one approval letter; and risk of scams by unauthorized VOA service providers.

VOA Process at the Airport in SGN

Removed by poster

VOA Service Providers Recommended By FTers

The following are a few of the VOA service providers that have been used and discussed in the thread by active FlyerTalk members. These providers publish sufficient information on their websites to suggest that they are authorized operators (e.g., provide physical business address, state actual travel company name, display tour operator license number, etc.). Members should verify these basic criteria before adding providers this list; simply having had successful transactions is not sufficient:

External Sources

Change log
26th-April
Edited to note that some ports of entry require the e-visa to be validated on arrival.
8 December 2019- Edited to add note about Phu Quoc being exempt from visa for 30 day visit and add info about 1 year multiple entry Visa which is now available via VoA process too.

FlyerTalkers with at least 90 days of membership and a minimum of 90 posts are invited to make corrections and update the information in this Wikipost.
Print Wikipost

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:06 pm

cheers- thanks guys
Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:11 am

But I'm still a little confused about the "someone has to go landside to check you in" part. Does this mean that you have to give your visa vietnam to some person and they will go to check-in counter and get you a boarding pass? I Agree with you.

Last edited by esas; Nov 14, 2011 at 1:57 am
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by myflight11
Terry-

Did you have to transit overnight? Just curious for those who overnight at the airport, if a visa is needed? Can I get the visa there on arrival?
Visa is required if you pass through immigration (i.e. to go to Hotel overnight). There was lots of talk when I was there last Dec about VOA but I don't think they have yet implemented this.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Any Comments?

So this trip I decided to get 1 month multi and went via the SF consulate and visa service company. Not the cheapest option. I know.

So looking at my previous visa on arrival and this consulate visa, my former version has a dollar amount stamped on the visa "sticker" and it has the machine readable passport info in the white stripe. The one I received today has neither of these things.

Do I need to go to that VOA window and pay more $USD to "validate" my visa? I've already paid a $100 consular fee. Or as I assume, can proceed directly to the immigration line.

Thanks.

Scho
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by schoflyer
Any Comments?

So this trip I decided to get 1 month multi and went via the SF consulate and visa service company. Not the cheapest option. I know.

So looking at my previous visa on arrival and this consulate visa, my former version has a dollar amount stamped on the visa "sticker" and it has the machine readable passport info in the white stripe. The one I received today has neither of these things.

Do I need to go to that VOA window and pay more $USD to "validate" my visa? I've already paid a $100 consular fee. Or as I assume, can proceed directly to the immigration line.

Thanks.

Scho
Straight to Immigration for you.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by esas
But I'm still a little confused about the "someone has to go landside to check you in" part. Does this mean that you have to give your visa vietnam to some person and they will go to check-in counter and get you a boarding pass? I Agree with you.
Haven't had to do this but my understanding is that this is exactly what happens.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:07 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I have quite a bit of experience with the VOA visa process in VN, I've been there several times. To put it simply, if your international ticket from the States shows a destination in Vietnam, then you will definitely need a proper visa or VOA letter (those persons transiting VN with a ticket showing a destination outside of VN, and do not want to leave the transit area do not need any documentation). No airline will allow you to board without proper documentation when the ticket shows a destination in VN.

How is this so different from any other country where visas are required?

The VOA Approval Letter that anyone can purchase online is still looked on with skepticism by many airline agents, however, that process does work and I would not do it any other way. I have never been denied boarding with my VOA letters.

I get the impression that some of you don't understand how VOA works in Vietnam - it is a little different. The Vietnam VOA must be prearranged by going online to any hotel or travel agent in VN and requesting this service. The process can be completed in a matter of hours, but 2 days is standard turnaround. The VOA Approval Letter is then emailed back to the traveler, and can then be printed out for travel. Once arrived at any VN international airport, the traveler goes to the Visa desk and the hard copy visa is inserted in the passport (they are then free to line up at the Immigration counters). Delays have occurred in SGN at the visa desk during peak periods, but none at other airports of entry.

Last edited by Daawgon; Nov 24, 2011 at 1:24 am
Old Nov 24, 2011, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Daawgon
I have quite a bit of experience with the VOA visa process in VN, I've been there several times. To put it simply, if your international ticket from the States shows a destination in Vietnam, then you will definitely need a proper visa or VOA letter (those persons transiting VN with a ticket showing a destination outside of VN, and do not want to leave the transit area do not need any documentation). No airline will allow you to board without proper documentation when the ticket shows a destination in VN.

How is this so different from any other country where visas are required?

The VOA Approval Letter that anyone can purchase online is still looked on with skepticism by many airline agents, however, that process does work and I would not do it any other way. I have never been denied boarding with my VOA letters.

I get the impression that some of you don't understand how VOA works in Vietnam - it is a little different. The Vietnam VOA must be prearranged by going online to any hotel or travel agent in VN and requesting this service. The process can be completed in a matter of hours, but 2 days is standard turnaround. The VOA Approval Letter is then emailed back to the traveler, and can then be printed out for travel. Once arrived at any VN international airport, the traveler goes to the Visa desk and the hard copy visa is inserted in the passport (they are then free to line up at the Immigration counters). Delays have occurred in SGN at the visa desk during peak periods, but none at other airports of entry.
Agreed but the OP is talking about transit, i.e. never leave the airport, never go through customes and hence never really arrive in Vietnam. VOA or Visa is required to get throughimmigartion but transit you don't need to.
I emailed the Vietnamese consulate about this last year and while I didn't end up needing to they confirmed you don't need VOA or Visa if you are in transit.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:57 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
In SGN now and my wife used one of the VoA services for us for the first time. Been here countless times before when we lived in Singapore, so here is my feedback on the VoA approach.

It kinda sux. If you can't or don't want to part with your passport to send it off to the consulate, then ok, I can see why you'd do this. But otherwise, what a poor way to get into the country. There were at least 25 others on our flight using this method and since you have to queue once for a form and then wait for processing and then requeue, it was at least 35 minutes delay. I would expect better on the ground service for what we paid. I will never again use this service for a routine trip. Heck, we were flying in SIN-SGN and given the shortness of that flight, this added nearly30% onto our total trip time and made us late for dinner...
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:59 am
Community Director Emerita

Can a VOA (visa on arrival) be used for a land crossing or is it only good when entering by air?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 1:26 pm

My experience with TDS (Travel Document Service) and the visa they attained at the SF consulate on my behalf was excellent. I was checking into my hotel less than an hour after I de-planed.

I dropped off my passport and they called me when my visa was ready. Yes there is a price to pay for convenience. it was worth it to me.

-Scho
Old Dec 18, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Can a VOA (visa on arrival) be used for a land crossing or is it only good when entering by air?
If you google visa on arrival and vietnam, you'll find a site that has a list of stations where voa is accepted. I don't remember off hand whether any are land crossings or not.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:34 pm
Community Director Emerita

My question has been answered. Sequence of events:
  1. Sent in information for visa on arrival
  2. Travel agency asks what else they can provide
  3. I ask about air from a non Vietnamese city to a Vietnamese one
  4. Agency responds with airfare but suggests bus
  5. I ask if VOA can be used for bus entry
  6. Response: no, only for air

Which leaves me wondering why they suggested the bus.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by schoflyer
My experience with TDS (Travel Document Service) and the visa they attained at the SF consulate on my behalf was excellent. I was checking into my hotel less than an hour after I de-planed.

I dropped off my passport and they called me when my visa was ready. Yes there is a price to pay for convenience. it was worth it to me.

-Scho
I use TDS (Travel Document Systems) for all my VN Visas. The SF office is very good and has called me on several occassions to confirm which type of Visa I needed. ^
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
I use TDS (Travel Document Systems) for all my VN Visas. The SF office is very good and has called me on several occassions to confirm which type of Visa I needed. ^
Awesome! Nice meeting you last week. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.