Reload this Page >

Taxis in Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxis in Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We're going to HCMC in August; my dad & his wife were there a couple weeks back - he sent me an email telling me to download the Grab app and use that when we're there.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:08 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Use Grab.

Set up at least two credit cards for payment in case one flunks. My last trip I had continuing problems with an HSBC Mastercard, though HSBC said they never saw a declined payment.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by rjh
Use Grab.

Set up at least two credit cards for payment in case one flunks. My last trip I had continuing problems with an HSBC Mastercard, though HSBC said they never saw a declined payment.
Or just use cash. I had trouble setting up my credit card via Grab, so I opted for the cash option, which works out well especially for their food delivery service. When ordering delivery, it often took me 4-5 tries before a driver completed the delivery run, so using cash prevented issues with potentially being charged for the failed runs.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Used Uber a lot in 2016.

Guess Grab bought them out.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:45 pm

Just give an updated information for you
- Uber is no longer available in Vietnam. You can book a mean of transports online via Grab or Be (similar to Uber) app on smartphone. Grab is widely popular in Vietnam and offers pleasant and quick service.
- In terms of offline, Vinasun and Mai Linh are both high reputable. There is a new trusted group of G7 Taxi, which's available in Hanoi.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Just wish Grab supported Apple Pay like Uber and Lyft does.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Any updates on Uber in Vietnam? We will be in Saigon, Hue, and Hanoi. How easy or expensive is it to hire a taxi for a day? It would be nicer than tour buses for a trip to the tunnel or day trip out of town.
We were just there this month. We had a very good experience with hueprivatecars.com for getting out of town. For getting around town we used both Grab and Vinasun taxis. Fares are cheap. We paid cash for Grab as well as taxi. Don’t negotiate taxi fares, use the meter and make sure the taxi driver starts the meter before you leave the curb. Even with reputable Vinasun, we had a couple of trips where the drivers pretended they didn’t know what we were talking about when we asked them to start the meter. Had to press the button ourselves once.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
I have never used anything other than Grab & Uber when it still functioned there.

I really like Grab, as it is preset prices.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Had a bit of trouble getting taxis in Hoi An. They seemed to want to pick and choose their fares. We were turned away a lot of the time.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:05 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Had a bit of trouble getting taxis in Hoi An. They seemed to want to pick and choose their fares. We were turned away a lot of the time.
Were these actual taxis or Grab cancellations by the drivers? I've had no Grab problems in VN, though some in MY.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by wco81
Just wish Grab supported Apple Pay like Uber and Lyft does.
They will never do because they are payment system provider.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by rjh
Were these actual taxis or Grab cancellations by the drivers? I've had no Grab problems in VN, though some in MY.
I assume taxis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.