FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Hotels in Argentina - to pre-pay or not? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/2003975-hotels-argentina-pre-pay-not.html)

OskiBear Aug 25, 2022 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by ghsbass0406 (Post 34543679)
I'm looking to book the Park Hyatt on hyatt.com and it forces me to include a credit card to guarantee the reservation and prices the stay in USD. Does anyone know if I reserve on Hyatt's website am I locked into that rate and stuck paying with a credit card or can I pay in cash in pesos at the hotel?

When I was there in June, the reservation rules were similar. It also stated a "deposit" of one night would be charged a week in advance (it was not). At check-out, plenty of folks were paying with cash. I think it likely will work out OK, but can't be 100% sure.

MSPeconomist Aug 25, 2022 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by ghsbass0406 (Post 34543679)
I'm looking to book the Park Hyatt on hyatt.com and it forces me to include a credit card to guarantee the reservation and prices the stay in USD. Does anyone know if I reserve on Hyatt's website am I locked into that rate and stuck paying with a credit card or can I pay in cash in pesos at the hotel?

I stayed at this hotel a number of times preCOVID-19. I always booked through the Hyatt website and used TSUs, so I was clearly getting Glob benefits. A couple times I paid with local currency at check out, for both the room and some F&B room charges. No one gave me any trouble or appeared to think that it was strange. However, of course the front desk agent did swipe my credit card at check in and I assume the hotel put a big preauthorization on it, which I never saw. IIRC at times there was a tax of about 21% that was waived in you paid with a foreign credit card, so that made it less attractive to pay in cash at times, even with favorable blue currency exchange rates.

However, with hotels in some locations, be sure you understand in which currency the prices are definitive. Is your reservation confirmed for a rate in USD, Euro (I've seen this in Turkey, for example, with some places using USD and others Euro), or local currency? If you use currency conversion when you search on major chain websites, you tend to get the confirmation page and email confirmation stating the price in the currency you used in the search, but this can confuse the issue as it need not be the definitive rate you will pay. It almost seems like the dynamic currency conversion that some credit cards permit.

drvb Apr 2, 2023 2:29 am

If I book a non-refundable pre-pay only hotel room in Buenos Aires through Booking.com and pay online with a non-Argentina Visa card (to take advantage of the MEP-rate and avoid the 21% tax), what currency will my Visa-card be charged?

Eastbay1K Apr 2, 2023 10:04 am

Originally Posted by drvb (Post 35137022)
If I book a non-refundable pre-pay only hotel room in Buenos Aires through Booking.com and pay online with a non-Argentina Visa card (to take advantage of the MEP-rate and avoid the 21% tax), what currency will my Visa-card be charged?

I'd be wary of receiving a beneficial conversion rate if it is processed through a company that can avoid the transaction taking place in Argentina, even if it posts an AR$ rate for the lodging. That is to say, i.e., if you see a quoted rate of AR$40.000 per night (a bit over $100 at Blue), unless the banking transaction takes place within Argentina, you would probably be paying close to US$200 per night.

drvb Apr 2, 2023 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 35137683)
I'd be wary of receiving a beneficial conversion rate if it is processed through a company that can avoid the transaction taking place in Argentina, even if it posts an AR$ rate for the lodging. That is to say, i.e., if you see a quoted rate of AR$40.000 per night (a bit over $100 at Blue), unless the banking transaction takes place within Argentina, you would probably be paying close to US$200 per night.

I'm not worried about the conversion rate, I can calculate it here: https://www.visa.co.uk/support/consu...alculator.html What I'm worried about is what currency they will charge my card in. When I book a pre-pay hotel room in another country through Booking.com, I always get charged in that country's currency. However, when I select to show prices in Booking.com's app in the properties' currency, it shows me all Buenos Aires prices in USD, not ARS.

Eastbay1K Apr 2, 2023 10:35 am

Originally Posted by drvb (Post 35137737)
I'm not worried about the conversion rate, I can calculate it here: https://www.visa.co.uk/support/consu...alculator.html What I'm worried about is what currency they will charge my card in. When I book a pre-pay hotel room in another country through Booking.com, I always get charged in that country's currency. However, when I select to show prices in Booking.com's app in the properties' currency, it shows me all Buenos Aires prices in USD, not ARS.

If your transaction does not occur in Argentina and go through the Argentina banking system, I don't see how you receive the MEP rate. But your experience may vary.

Gaucho100K Apr 3, 2023 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 35137758)
If your transaction does not occur in Argentina and go through the Argentina banking system, I don't see how you receive the MEP rate. But your experience may vary.

This is spot on.... unless booking.com has opened some sort of subsidiary that operates in Argentina, the MEP rate is normally not in play. This entire mechanism includes the involvement of the Argentine Central Bank and the local credit card processing services (which in Argentina are all owned by the large banks - so everybody is regulated by the BCRA)..... so unless that foreign based booking agents enter into some form of formal agreement and are able to process this "synthetic" exchange rate, there is no way the MEP rate can be in the game.

lsquare Apr 3, 2023 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 35137683)

W​hat happens if I book through the Marriott, Hyatt, or Hilton app and then pay at the front desk? ​​​​​​

malagajohn Apr 3, 2023 6:17 pm

If you pay at the front desk your bill will be in Pesos and your credit card will change at the rate they agree on.

Visa at just below MEP.

Mastercard at the official rate, with a rebate after 3/4 days. Nets out at close to what Visa do.

Amex - God only knows.

Traveller91 Apr 9, 2023 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 35141383)
If you pay at the front desk your bill will be in Pesos and your credit card will change at the rate they agree on.

Visa at just below MEP.

Mastercard at the official rate, with a rebate after 3/4 days. Nets out at close to what Visa do.

Amex - God only knows.

Just had a look at the Intercontinental Buenos Aires, when I click through on the IHG website, it quotes the nightly rate in USD even if I choose ARS as the currency. However, Expedia seems to quote the price in ARS. Is it better to book through Expedia to guarantee the ARS amount quoted? Thanks!

malagajohn Apr 9, 2023 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller91 (Post 35156615)
Just had a look at the Intercontinental Buenos Aires, when I click through on the IHG website, it quotes the nightly rate in USD even if I choose ARS as the currency. However, Expedia seems to quote the price in ARS. Is it better to book through Expedia to guarantee the ARS amount quoted? Thanks!

All Argentine businesses are obliged to invoice in Pesos

Any prices previously agreed have to convert at the official FX rate on the day the invoice is produced.

lsquare Apr 9, 2023 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by malagajohn (Post 35156821)
All Argentine businesses are obliged to invoice in Pesos

Any prices previously agreed have to convert at the official FX rate on the day the invoice is produced.

So how should one make that booking?

malagajohn Apr 10, 2023 4:09 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35157373)
So how should one make that booking?

On any site that allows you to pay at the property.

Panam Clipper Apr 23, 2023 8:52 pm

I have reviewed the information that has been offered. Please allow me to ask if my understanding is correct:
When I select a hotel the rate is in USD in their web site. When the bill is presented it is in pesos at the official rate at the day. I will then pay with my USA issued Visa or Master Card. Will be exempt of the Vat charge?
Thank you

Eastbay1K Apr 24, 2023 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper (Post 35196386)
I have reviewed the information that has been offered. Please allow me to ask if my understanding is correct:
When I select a hotel the rate is in USD in their web site. When the bill is presented it is in pesos at the official rate at the day. I will then pay with my USA issued Visa or Master Card. Will be exempt of the Vat charge?
Thank you

Correct. Just make sure the transaction is processed in AR$.