FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Travel between Montevideo and Buenos Aires (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1215705-travel-between-montevideo-buenos-aires.html)

rack him May 15, 2011 8:56 am

Travel between Montevideo and Buenos Aires

I am sure there are a variety of public transportation options in travelling from Montevideo to Buenos Aires, like boat, bus, etc. Can someone who has done one or more of these methods provide some input on their experiences - timing, costs, scenery, etc. Thanks.

Eastbay1K May 15, 2011 11:55 am

The easiest way is the Buquebus (the boat-only option - there are also boat plus bus options - which only make sense if you also want to stop in Colonia). It is 3 hours from city center to city center. You can also fly AEP/MVD (which I've never done) - it probably takes a similar total amount of elapsed time - AEP is convenient to the city center so you won't need to deal with going back out to EZE. The boat ride isn't particularly scenic, but at least you can walk around a bit, there's a duty free shop onboard, marginal food and drink for purchase, etc. and overall, a more relaxed experience than dealing with airports.

GUWonder May 16, 2011 6:54 am

You left out the usually uninteresting movies that I have had on such ferry trips. :D

I have flown from BUE to MVD but minimize doing so and have -- when using general commercially scheduled travel means -- preferred using Buquebus as it avoids the airport related issues (worse if the BUE to MVD itinerary involves Ezeiza/EZE airport).

The only issue is that immigration control processing when taking the boat can sometimes be slower per person processed than at the airport, but nothing of such concern as to choose flying over the ferry because of it.

HIDDY May 17, 2011 7:26 pm

Last time I did it I just flew with Pluna from AEP. Fares are pretty cheap if you book ahead. Not much to see going by ferry.

bamboola May 17, 2011 9:48 pm

I just saw one-way fares of $35 per person mid-week on Pluna.

cochino_BA May 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 16404849)
Last time I did it I just flew with Pluna from AEP. Fares are pretty cheap if you book ahead. Not much to see going by ferry.

How is Pluna compared to the other regionals in Argentina? I have never used them before.

HIDDY May 21, 2011 6:30 am

Originally Posted by cochino_BA (Post 16422067)
How is Pluna compared to the other regionals in Argentina? I have never used them before.

Only flown them a couple of times but they seem to be okay. Prices are good,modern aircraft and MVD has a nice new terminal. Haven't heard anything negative about them.

keisari May 22, 2011 1:50 am

this topic has been discussed before; try doing a quick search

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...eo-ground.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...ontevideo.html

Gaucho100K May 23, 2011 4:35 pm

I second the motion to consider Pluna.... nothing fancy, but new planes and OK service on the super short flight.

OskiBear Jun 3, 2011 1:55 pm

I did the Pluna AEP-MVD-AEP r/t last year and it was great.

Nice airport - MVD and convenient when using AEP.

I think Pluna only had a fleet of RJ's but it's a short flight and get a window seat - I managed to get some great photos flying over the river and approaching both airports/towns.

PTravel Jun 3, 2011 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by cochino_BA (Post 16422067)

Only flew them once, from Montevideo to BA, but they were fine.

TAHKUCT Sep 15, 2011 8:08 am

Will be traveling from Montevideo to Buenos Aires on Saturday, and noticed that there is only one Buquebus direct. However it departs very late for us. The other option is a Bus to Colonia and then ferry. There will be 2 adults and a child traveling. Few questions regarding this option:

1. If I will buy Primera tickets, do I get any better sitting on the bus or the bus seats are all the same.
2. Does bus make any stops on the way to Colonia?
3. Upon arrival to Colonia, is there any time to go and see the city? (if combo ticket purchased at Buquebus.com)
2. Is it worth having Primera ticket on Colonia to Buenos Aires? Do you get assigned sitting or first come first serve?

Another option is to fly. However, being US Citizen, if I will arrive to AEP, do I still have to pay a reciprocal visa fee of $100 per person? My understanding is if arrive by ferry, that fee is not collected, but what about by air from Uruguay?

Gaucho100K Sep 16, 2011 6:39 am

Others will chime in, but Primera perks will depend on the vessel you get.... no assigned seating that I can remember last time I did F on the boat... just a lousy F only mini bar with bad and overpriced food.... sometimes you do get a glass of chepo bubbly as a welcome drink..... bottom line, if the price difference is relevant I would say dont waste it and spend it on something else....

TAHKUCT Sep 16, 2011 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 17119466)
Others will chime in, but Primera perks will depend on the vessel you get.... no assigned seating that I can remember last time I did F on the boat... just a lousy F only mini bar with bad and overpriced food.... sometimes you do get a glass of chepo bubbly as a welcome drink..... bottom line, if the price difference is relevant I would say dont waste it and spend it on something else....

Thanks.

Unfortunately, there are some changes in our plans and the only option left is to fly. Any suggestions on what air line and what airport? Thinking to go to AEP secondary will not have to pay reciprocity fee as US passport holder.

AlohaDaveKennedy Sep 16, 2011 7:01 am

Done the ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento, a rather funky little town.

Buquebus was reliable and on time. Ferry was modern and efficient. Cost seemed reasonable. Was able to store my luggage at the terminal for a bit to walk around the old port area in Buenos Aires.

They have TV in the ferry so I skipped the scenery.

Originally Posted by rack him (Post 16389172)
I am sure there are a variety of public transportation options in travelling from Montevideo to Buenos Aires, like boat, bus, etc. Can someone who has done one or more of these methods provide some input on their experiences - timing, costs, scenery, etc. Thanks.