Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA / LAN - firearms travel to Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2013, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

AA / LAN - firearms travel to Argentina

I've gotten several different stories from AA regarding traveling with firearms to Argentina. Has anyone had experience in the last six months with this issue. Thanks in advance.

Scott
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk, dev_null.

For American Airlines policy regarding transportation of firearms, please see here. LAN (see here) permits firearms to fly as checked baggage when properly packed, declared and unloaded. But as you are traveling to Argentina, you need to determine Argentina's laws and policies regarding the importation and use of firearms. You'd hate to transport a firearm to another country only to find you are in violation of any laws.

We will send this query over to the Argentina Forum for more knowledgeable replies by our members there.

JDiver
senior moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 20, 2013 at 10:24 pm
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
contact the argentina consulate for info/forms etc....

contact us customs to get a form showing ownership for customs on your return.....

i havent done it in a long time.....

if you are dove shooting, see if you can rent from the outfitter.....the cost for 4-5 days has been about the cost of taking your own....
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:18 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dev_null
I've gotten several different stories from AA regarding traveling with firearms to Argentina. Has anyone had experience in the last six months with this issue. Thanks in advance.

Scott
Hello Scott,

I have various clients that come down to Argentina with their own "arsenal". It is not uncommon for folks to travel down with their guns, so do not worry about any laws that you would be breaking. Its perfectly legal, provided you follow the rules and do the paperwork properly.

All of my clients use the services of a local ground agent that meets them at the airport and assists them in clearing the firearms with the Argentine Customs and the RENAR agents. RENAR would be something like what the ATF is in the USA (I think the ATF is called TBA now).

In any event, I think the above advice is very good... you first need to find out from your airline what paperwork they will want, then you may also need to do a little paperwork with US Customs and of course dont forget you have the TSA to deal with when you depart.

I dont know the details of the US part of the paperwork, but I do know from experience that clearing all the paperwork here in Argentina can be more cumbersome than in the USA and that is why most all visitors with Guns use the services of a local Agent. Depending on how patient you are, how much time you have and what sort of budget you are working with, hiring a local agent may be the way to go for you.

If you want, I know some very reliable local Guides that are very experienced with hunting groups, they provide a service that includes airport pickup, transportation and also clearance of guns, etc.

Please PM or email me and I will put you in contact with them.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.