Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iguazu - book from home or once there?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Iguazu - book from home or once there?

I am curious if anyone knows if it is cheaper to book a trip from BA to IGR once in Argentina or if I am better off doing it from home as then at least it is an advance booking, not a last minute one.

It would be for 2 nights in early April and probably done as independent travel as opposed to a group tour.

I am considering either flying both ways or fly/bus combo (more for the experience than the cost, it seems for the money and time savings flying is the more economical choice on a short time line). If my SPG points don't post soon the hoped for Sheraton stay will not be an option, but that is still the plan at the moment.

Any suggestions on the mode of travel ... or back up hotel options?? I am fine with friendly clean hostels as well, was just hoping for a bit of luxury in a long trip!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The only cheaper fares you will see advertised once in Argentina will be for Argentine residents. Some foreigners travel on these fares and get away with it but if you do decide to try this, be prepared to pay the full walk-up fare if you get caught out at the airport. There are plenty of lively threads on the Argentina forum discussing this issue.

As for the bus vs plane option, definitely fly - especially since you mention you are considering the bus for the "experience" more than to save money. A 19-hour bus journey (comfortable as the long-distance buses are) is not much of a fun experience and will eat into your holiday time. Flying is also the safer option - driving standards in Argentina leave a lot to be desired
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by britenbsas
As for the bus vs plane option, definitely fly - especially since you mention you are considering the bus for the "experience" more than to save money. A 19-hour bus journey (comfortable as the long-distance buses are) is not much of a fun experience and will eat into your holiday time. Flying is also the safer option - driving standards in Argentina leave a lot to be desired
Got to agree with this unless you are really into bus travel....it's just too long to be on a coach even a luxury one. The overnight journeys are a bit of a grind as you can't see anything. I would only consider using one again if it was during day light hours.
Package tours to Iguazu are available to buy in BA. despegar.com sell them and will give you some idea on prices.......they aren't as cheap as they used to be even for the locals.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If it is part of your international ticket, it will likely be a much cheaper add-on than as a stand alone ticket (often if it is at the start or end of a trip, treated as a stopover). Also, see if you qualify for any of the airpasses - with some travel agents, only 2 segments are required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.