FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Argentina (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina-622/)
-   -   Good fish shops in Buenos Aires? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argentina/1162726-good-fish-shops-buenos-aires.html)

HIDDY Dec 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Good fish shops in Buenos Aires?

I've commented before about the lack of a good fish shop where I stay.
Are there any decent fish shops in the capital? I haven't seen any but then again I haven't really looked for them. Any that stock smoked salmon and good quality shellfish would be appreciated.
Probably not the best time of year given the heat to be transporting such things but for future reference when the weather cools down a bit. I could take a freezer bag when we visit for the day.

mccomb Dec 22, 2010 3:04 am

I like Ostramar:
http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/t...n-buenos-aires

HIDDY Dec 22, 2010 4:56 am

Thanks mccomb. ^

Walked on Santa Fe countless times but always from the Alto Palermo down never up so no wonder I haven't seen it. Shall pay it a visit next time we're in.

Gaucho100K Dec 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Yes, another vote for Ostramar. Jumbo supermarket has decent offerings from time to time, but this depends on the season. I have another 2 shops in mind but they are small non-chain stores and I dont have the exact addresses, I just turn on the auto-pilot and go there.... one is on Cabello close to Nemo (the restaurant), the other is in Martinez so its probably of less use to you.

One place that has excellent fish is the Mercado/Feria Municipal de Belgrano..... overall one of the best food markets in Argentina, with the best of what the local produce & meat markets can offer and also plenty of imported things flown in. Pricey... but well worth it.

Gaucho100K Dec 22, 2010 1:06 pm

BTW, the Feria de Belgrano is located at Juramento & Ciudad de la Paz (Belgrano)....

SoFlyOn Dec 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Also in Belgrano, you should check out the Chinese supermarkets in Chinatown (@ Arribeños) for fresh fish. Also lots of imported spices and asian foods, which you could probably not find anywhere else.

John

Gaucho100K Dec 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn (Post 15505678)
Also in Belgrano, you should check out the Chinese supermarkets in Chinatown (@ Arribeños) for fresh fish. Also lots of imported spices and asian foods, which you could probably not find anywhere else.

Yes.... very good point, Chinatown is also a good source !!! ^

HIDDY Dec 22, 2010 6:16 pm

Many thanks...all contributions appreciated and noted. ^

I just wish fish/seafood was more popular in this country.

Gaucho100K Dec 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 15507362)
I just wish fish/seafood was more popular in this country.

This country is indeed very very deeply Carnivore... but the good news is that things are improving for 'surf' lovers... the amount of Japanese Fusion and Peruvian restaurants in the large cities is booming, and this will mean that the logistics of fresh seafood will begin to have a reason to be, which will mean that more food markets will have more fresh fish. This will take longer in smaller cities and towns, but its the beginning of a process that will make things better, eventually.

Hiddy.... you should consider starting a relationship with a store in Buenos Aires that you like... its not unheard of for them to dispatch fresh seafood (properly packaged and iced-up) at Retiro through one of the Colectivo Lines.... this will of course cost extra, but it can be done. Im sure some of the boutique fish places at the Mercado de Belgrano will be willing to do this for you.

Felices Fiestas!!!!!!!!!

Alex

Gaucho100K Dec 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Hiddy.... if you want to look into the delivery of fresh seafood, lets take this to email. Im a regular client at some of the Feria de Belgrano places and I can speak to them and see what can be done and what the economics would be. You can then come to EZE next time you plan to and close the deal directly with them.

Lemme' know..... ^

HIDDY Dec 23, 2010 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 15513112)
Hiddy.... if you want to look into the delivery of fresh seafood, lets take this to email. Im a regular client at some of the Feria de Belgrano places and I can speak to them and see what can be done and what the economics would be. You can then come to EZE next time you plan to and close the deal directly with them.

Lemme' know..... ^

That sounds a good idea Alex. ^

Just out of interest...what type of fish/seafood do you buy? Is there much variety and is it good quality? As I said I did manage to get some jumbo prawns at one of my local fish shops...very pricey but well worth it as the quality was superb. However, the next couple of times I have got them the quality was very poor so I stopped buying them as it was throwing money down the drain.

Gaucho100K Dec 23, 2010 4:27 pm

I buy a lot of Jumbo Shrimp (Im hooked on the stuff), and will also ocasionally buy King Crab (Centolla) and Lobster - when prices are not completetly crazy... Im also a big fan of Octopus. With fish, Im mostly a Salmon guy, but will also get Lenguado (dont know the name in English), and Abadejo - which I prefer to Hake with doing Fish & Chips. I also buy a lot of Mussels (Mejillones)... great with Garlic and White Wine... :D ^

jbcarioca Dec 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 15513439)
I buy a lot of Jumbo Shrimp (Im hooked on the stuff), and will also ocasionally buy King Crab (Centolla) and Lobster - when prices are not completetly crazy... Im also a big fan of Octopus. With fish, Im mostly a Salmon guy, but will also get Lenguado (dont know the name in English), and Abadejo - which I prefer to Hake with doing Fish & Chips. I also buy a lot of Mussels (Mejillones)... great with Garlic and White Wine... :D ^

Lenguado/Linguado is sole in English. The problem is there are many varieties and the ones common to southern Atlantic waters are species that are far tastier than those common on northern waters.

I share your tastes, but find I tend to prefer Lula (the seafood rather than the outgoing Brazilian President) and Polvo (octupus) both of which seem to be very very cheap in the southern Atlantic waters.

Gaucho100K Dec 24, 2010 5:58 am

I didnt know Octopus was so inexpensive in Brazil.... in Argentina, it costs quite a bit, and if you want the really good stuff you have to buy the Frozen Stuff from Spain which has a Euro Pricetag.....

:eek:

HIDDY Dec 24, 2010 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 15513439)

Are the mussels still in their shells?

In our local La Anónima they do frozen mussels de-shelled but they don't look great I have to say. They also do frozen squid as well....I can eat it but always think it's like eating rubber bands.
The salmon you speak of...is it red salmon like the Scottish or Pacific variety or the white salmon which is quite common here and tastes nothing like the red salmon.
Any smoked salmon for sale in BA?