Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'New' AN763s

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2001, 6:03 am
Original Poster

'New' AN763s

The first of 4 Ansett Boeing 767-300s has landed in HNL (VH-BZL?), enroute to CHC (AKL?) and then onto Australia.

Does anyone know what the seating configuration will be on these aircraft, and whether they will be fitted out with AN seats, etc. How long is the lease?

Cheers,

Justin
Old Jun 23, 2001, 9:41 pm

I've heard from other boards, that the new AN 763's will be fitted out with domestic configuration only. I suppose this means 6 abreast business and the normal 7 economy. Apart from that, I can't give you any more info. They might be configured in the same way as some of QF's domestic 763's, ie, 30J/210Y - 240.

Cheers,

Clement
Old Jun 24, 2001, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Clement,

Thanks for that, could you direct me to some of these other boards?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were configured in a 230-240pax config, I mean, the 762s are fairly fullish relative to other 762s, and well AN is sort of desperate for capacity.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Jun 24, 2001, 2:40 am

Justin,

I read it on airliners.net

I don't know what that means, probably very little...

I tried doing a search, but since my modem is very slow, I couldn't find the exact post.

But yes, it seems logical given, as you say, AN kind of lacks capacity right now.

They could start by taking out some toilets, not all of them of course but, I mean, who goes to the toilet on a SYD-MEL flight anyway except in an emergency anyway?...(I did go once betw SYD and ADL - but that was because I wanted to try out the business class toilet http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif ). Toilets mean room for seats.

I assume that the AN 763's have the main exit doors fore and aft and the two overwing exit doors a la QF B767-338ER, rather than the 4 doors on QF B767-336ER. That economises space.

Am I right in saying that AN B762's have 216? Which is rather packed, even for domestic (CO 762's have 25J/149Y - 174!)

Regards,

Clement
Old Jun 24, 2001, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Clement,

Must go and read those airliners.net threads then.

AN 762s seat 211 pax, however I suspect that there are two different configurations for the 5 original Ansett B767-277s (VH-RMD to VH-RMH)and the ex Britannia birds (VH-RMK, VH-RML, VH-RMO). When VH-RMM (B762ER) was in a special international configuration, it sat 175 pax (there were never any seat maps published).

Taking out toilets, for some reason I doubt that will happen, because of the other routes which the aircraft need to fly.

An A320 went US at PER today or last night, and there were a handful of very unhappy pax for AN, some terrible publicity on Channel 10. I don't know whether it's just media portrayal, but what's wrong with AN? Don't they know how to take care of pax on the ground anymore? They're brilliant in the air, but on the ground, it just seems that nowadays they're lacking.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Jun 24, 2001, 8:31 pm

Justin,

I saw that exact same news story.

Engine cowling problems at PER...spare parts had to be flown from MEL!

I forgot about the possibility of AN 763's going to PER...will need them for the 4 and 1/2 hour flight http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

I wonder, if that'd been a QF 762, would one lady on TV have said so unequivocally, "I'm not flying Ansett again." Especially if QF had treated the pax that badly.

In two words: Media Sensationalism

Cheers,

Clement
Old Jun 24, 2001, 11:28 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
AN on the ground has been good to me. Not just my recent experience at BNE (where they really did go above and beyond) but other instances AN ground staff have been great. From the guys checking/helping us with e-checkin to the fabbo CSR in the checkin fo saphire who was a gem in april, to some decent folks in the GW Club, can't really complain.

And let's not forget the GW Club person who found Rudi's palm pilot which he left there and sent back to him in switzerland!

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Aug 16, 2001, 1:22 am
Original Poster

I've just heard from AN, that VH-BZL has a capacity of 236.

206Y and 30J.

Aircraft had a lot of 'interesting' work done on it in CHC/MEL.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Aug 16, 2001, 1:40 am

Good! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Any word on what the J Class seats are like?

Regards,

Clement
Old Aug 16, 2001, 11:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Clement Lowe:
They could start by taking out some toilets, not all of them of course but, I mean, who goes to the toilet on a SYD-MEL flight anyway except in an emergency anyway</font>
Depends how long you have spent in the Golden WIng lounge prior to departure - I remember once I made five trips to the toilet between SYD and MEL after spending three hours in the Qantas Club lounge, and consuming around 15 Crown Lagers.

Dave

Old Aug 16, 2001, 6:18 pm

Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia / Tallahassee, Florida, USA / QF Club; QF-Silver; OW-Ruby; AN; DL-Blue.
Hear hear Dave...you're a legend ! I was on a few flights like that too. Q Club is too good for these things.

------------------
QantasAllTheWay
A member of OneWorld
Old Aug 16, 2001, 11:29 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Hey thank you QamtasAllTheWay - immitation is the highest form of flattery http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Back to the 763's, I'm booked on 2 on 17/9 and 27/9 MEL-SYD v.v. so I'll let you all know what the J seats are like (who knows, I may pull my digital cam out for you guys!). I am sure though someone from here will be on one of these babies before that time, but if not I definately will be.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Aug 17, 2001, 5:10 pm

Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia / Tallahassee, Florida, USA / QF Club; QF-Silver; OW-Ruby; AN; DL-Blue.
Yes Richard, AN would know about immitating wouldnt they ?

Old Aug 17, 2001, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Hmmn,

Ansett the imitator? I'll just mention a few of its firsts.

Ansett's Australian Firsts:

* E-checkin
* E-ticket
* Inflight Chef
* Frequent Flyer Program
* Club Lounges
* Domestic Inflight Video
* PTVs
* Premium Economy Cabin

Now, care to list Qantas' innovations?

From what I've heard -BZL is smelling like a brand new car inside, and all J seats are have the full footrests. There are also 8 toilets on board, 2 more than average on the 763 apparently.

Cheers,

Justin

[This message has been edited by Skystar (edited 08-17-2001).]
Old Aug 18, 2001, 3:54 am

Programs: QF Bronze
Well TAA did have the first domestic Business Class http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by 744 (edited 08-18-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.