2 zone award: CBS-PDX-SAC-BRL

Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
2 zone award: CBS-PDX-SAC-BRL

agent is telling me this will cost me 2 2-zone awards. I understand this is not a "one zone", but to make this 2 2-zone award costing 40,000 points?

should I call back? or is this the norm these days and there is no hope?

thanks
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a circle-trip routing like this, you'll get charged for each 2-zone leg of it.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:16 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
We require that circle trips be split into two "one-direction" redemptions -- CBS sure is a popular redemption city

Anthony
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
3 zone possible
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by darben
3 zone possible
Nope. According to the rules, you can't do a trip that starts in the central zone, goes to the western zone, and then returns to the central zone as one redemption.

Circle trips are not permitted using a single redemption. A circle trip is a travel itinerary comprised of a series of segments that exit, and later re-enter, the same zone.
If I were the OP, I'd try to book CBS-PDX-SAC-DEN as a two-zone award, then buy a ticket DEN-BRL. Alternately, I'd catch a ride to Milwaukee, and do the trip to Iowa in one day.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
thanks guys.

did CBS-PDX-SAC-DEN for 2 zone instead. Will fly back from DEN. I guess the good scenery pretty much stops in DEN anyway on this trip.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
thanks guys.

did CBS-PDX-SAC-DEN for 2 zone instead. Will fly back from DEN. I guess the good scenery pretty much stops in DEN anyway on this trip.
Well, it depends on what you call "good scenery." I'm a high plains drifter, and appreciate not having trees and mountains get in the way of my view.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Ispolkom
Well, it depends on what you call "good scenery." I'm a high plains drifter, and appreciate not having trees and mountains get in the way of my view.
A good portion of DEN-BRL is at night anyway.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:57 pm

2 zone from cbs to abq
1 zone from abq to brl

3 zones
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:51 pm
Company Representative - Amtrak

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (Select Executive)
2 zone from cbs to abq
1 zone from abq to brl

3 zones
And... still two redemptions.

Roomette is the only accommodation type where the 2+1 cost happens to be the same as one 3.

Anthony

Last edited by AGR Insider; Oct 20, 2013 at 9:02 pm
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:55 pm

2 zone from cbs to abq
1 zone from abq to brl

3 zones
1) The OP was planning to travel on the California Zephyr, not the Southwest Chief. Albuquerque doesn't enter into it.

2) In any case, amtrak.com doesn't give CBS-ABQ as a legal trip, so your itinerary won't work, even if it was the one the OP wanted, which it wasn't.

3) Further, the Southwest Chief doesn't stop in Burlington, so ABQ-BRL isn't a good suggestion.

4) Finally, you can't book CBS-PDX-SAC-BRL as a three-zone trip. If that isn't what you meant by "3 zone possible," it's your own fault that I misunderstood you. Use more words, and even try capitalization and punctuation.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) The OP was planning to travel on the California Zephyr, not the Southwest Chief. Albuquerque doesn't enter into it.

2) In any case, amtrak.com doesn't give CBS-ABQ as a legal trip, so your itinerary won't work, even if it was the one the OP wanted, which it wasn't.

3) Further, the Southwest Chief doesn't stop in Burlington, so ABQ-BRL isn't a good suggestion.

4) Finally, you can't book CBS-PDX-SAC-BRL as a three-zone trip. If that isn't what you meant by "3 zone possible," it's your own fault that I misunderstood you. Use more words, and even try capitalization and punctuation.
Rarrr!

I believe it's DEN, not ABQ. Then I think everything makes more sense.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 9:38 am

Thank you for your pleasant response you have made my day. I value your input.
REST OF MY THOUGHTS DELETED TO AVOID MY MEMBERSHIP BEING SUSPENDED.

Last edited by darben; Oct 21, 2013 at 9:46 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.