Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

First time on Amtrak and first time using Penn/DC/Boston South Station: Acela Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time on Amtrak and first time using Penn/DC/Boston South Station: Acela Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by musicalbox
I find the fear-mongering over the Acela lounge pretty hilarious (it's an older space full of padded chairs and business people, no more, no less) but if it makes it less crowded for the rest of us, then go for it.
No kidding. Lot worse places to spend your time at the station.
musicalbox likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Great, you'll be fine. I would just board from the lower level, without stress. One caveat: the first class car is on one end the train, next to one of the locomotives. When the train is boarding, the Amtrak staff sometimes blocks off that car from the rest of the train--the excuse is that there is a kitchen at one end of the car. So you can't necessarily get on the train anywhere and just walk through the cars to the first class car--it's necessary to actually board the first class car.

Also, please don't judge the US based on Penn Station.
Ha! I won’t, I promise.

Is the first class coach usually near the entrance to the platform or the other end of train? Or random?

Originally Posted by musicalbox
I find the fear-mongering over the Acela lounge pretty hilarious (it's an older space full of padded chairs and business people, no more, no less) but if it makes it less crowded for the rest of us, then go for it.
Noted! I’m actually not that hard to please; I’m military, so I’m used to having to use questionable facilities. It’ll probably be the Ritz in comparison.

Originally Posted by DailyGrind

No kidding. Lot worse places to spend your time at the station.
I look forward to testing that theory out.

Cheers everyone, again! I may seem overly OCD about this, but I like to have a good plan before I go anywhere new with my mother. So all your comments and observations are appreciated.

Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
The gates are marked with a track number and either "East" or "West"; for example, gate 8E and gate 8W both open up to staircases that lead to the platform for track 8. The staircases seem to be in the middle of the platform, and the staircases are parallel to the platforms.
Rachel1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
The Acela trains are sometimes turned on a loop, other times not, so the first class car can be at either the front end or the rear end of the train. Then additionally, depending on whether you come down an east or west stair/escalator, it can throw off where the front/rear of the train is. Thankfully with assigned first class seating there's no more race to get there to secure the ideal seat (that does still happen in the rest of the train, but at least there's more seats to pick from in Business Class, and less variation).

At least WAS and BOS are simpler - you'll walk to the platform from the rear of the train, so the FC car will either be the first car you come to, or at the other end if the first car encountered is business class.

For the NYP regulars - Are they still allowing priority boarding at NYP for first class passengers? If so, doesn't that make it easier to just board from the main level of station, since you can go ahead of the scrum for the rest of the train? It does mean you have to show your ticket at the top of the escalator, but for someone unfamiliar with the lower level that might be preferable? Asking as I haven't had the "privilege" of enjoying NYP for almost a year, and a while longer since doing it in first.
Rachel1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by octr202
The Acela trains are sometimes turned on a loop, other times not, so the first class car can be at either the front end or the rear end of the train. Then additionally, depending on whether you come down an east or west stair/escalator, it can throw off where the front/rear of the train is. Thankfully with assigned first class seating there's no more race to get there to secure the ideal seat (that does still happen in the rest of the train, but at least there's more seats to pick from in Business Class, and less variation).

At least WAS and BOS are simpler - you'll walk to the platform from the rear of the train, so the FC car will either be the first car you come to, or at the other end if the first car encountered is business class.

Cheers for this!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

For the NYP regulars - Are they still allowing priority boarding at NYP for first class passengers? If so, doesn't that make it easier to just board from the main level of station, since you can go ahead of the scrum for the rest of the train? It does mean you have to show your ticket at the top of the escalator, but for someone unfamiliar with the lower level that might be preferable? Asking as I haven't had the "privilege" of enjoying NYP for almost a year, and a while longer since doing it in first.
From what I can tell, there are 2 types of first-class priority boarding:

1. Early boarding: you can board from the Acela Dungeon/Lounge, using a redcap. Tips are expected, I think. You board before the boarding announcement is made, so you avoid the crowd.
2. Regular first class boarding: once the boarding announcement is made, when the crowd lines up to board the train, first class boards first, I think. No redcap is needed.

I'd still just get to NYP maybe 15 minutes before departure and board from the lower level. No crowds, no lines, etc.: easy.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:27 pm

You can get a redcap, or you can wait in the lounge for the track number which they give out before it's listed in the main waiting area or downstairs. Then you can go to the priority area and be early in the priority line.

I am not FC or even Acela but I wait in the lounge for the track number then head right on downstairs and board from there. I am usually one of the first few people on the train that way. If I were in Penn Station for the first time, rather than being there every week, I'd do the first thing I mentioned and board from the priority line upstairs. If I had a crew like Rachel has or even just several bags, I'd get a redcap from the lounge.
Rachel1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.