FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   Vancouver (VAC): How late can I arrive (0635 train) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1951964-vancouver-vac-how-late-can-i-arrive-0635-train.html)

HkCaGu Jan 19, 2019 7:25 pm

Vancouver (VAC): How late can I arrive (0635 train)

I'm considering the 0635 Cascades down to WA, originating from Richmond on public transit. Amtrak says to arrive 60 min ahead for preclearance. The first SkyTrain gets me to Main Street-Science World (2-min walk) at 0541. Am I OK to get onto this Cascades train?

DoB840 Jan 20, 2019 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 30676487)
I'm considering the 0635 Cascades down to WA, originating from Richmond on public transit. Amtrak says to arrive 60 min ahead for preclearance. The first SkyTrain gets me to Main Street-Science World (2-min walk) at 0541. Am I OK to get onto this Cascades train?

When I rode the morning Cascades in 2015, I arrived 57 minutes early and was the third person in line. You should have no problem.

jebr Jan 24, 2019 3:17 pm

You'll probably be fine, but the line may be fairly long. I've arrived for the morning train (in 2017) about 45 minutes early and the line was already quite long. Luckily I had NEXUS, which they have a dedicated line for, but while you'll probably be okay the line could be long by the time you're arriving.

GoAmtrak Jan 24, 2019 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by jebr (Post 30696638)
Luckily I had NEXUS, which they have a dedicated line for, but while you'll probably be okay the line could be long by the time you're arriving.

Awesome, that's the first I've heard of this. Officially there's no "rail mode" for using NEXUS, though logically there really should be.

HkCaGu Jan 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by jebr (Post 30696638)
You'll probably be fine, but the line may be fairly long. I've arrived for the morning train (in 2017) about 45 minutes early and the line was already quite long. Luckily I had NEXUS, which they have a dedicated line for, but while you'll probably be okay the line could be long by the time you're arriving.

Do they have kiosks? (I'm wondering with GE if I get any expedited access.)

jebr Jan 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 30697134)
Do they have kiosks? (I'm wondering with GE if I get any expedited access.)

No kiosks. It's the same line for NEXUS as for business class passengers, and you still talk with a CBP agent before boarding the train. It's basically a priority line but with similar screening.

LAX784 Feb 5, 2019 9:46 pm

I forgot the exact time they close boarding but I showed up twice close to that time with just a backpack as a carry on. Maybe 20 mins before departure so that the last passenger can go through US immigration formalities. And at that time, there is no line. I too took that first skytrain to the rail station, got my ticket, and then went for a walk to get my last Tim Hortons fix.

I enjoyed the ride the first more than the 2nd time. I was disappointed in the seat conditions, not being able to pick my seat, and also sitting next to someone who wanted to keep the curtains closed for most of the journey. The view is one of my main reasons for taking the train.