Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bedroom or Roomette?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Bedroom or Roomette?

My wife and I are taking the Coast Starlight from San Diego to Seattle at the end of this year. Is it worth the additional AGR points to go for a Bedroom as opposed to a Roomette?

We travelled in a Roomette a couple of years back when we went from Chicago to New Orleans and back, but I thought it would be nice to have the extra room and a private bathroom.

Still, it's an additional 10K so I'm having second thoughts. Feedback would be appreciated - thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
My thought has always been that you will probably be in the Pacific Parlor car most of your waking hours as the views are great. So if you are just going to be in the room to sleep then why bother. But if you are bigger and value your own private bathroom then it might be worth it.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:12 pm

It's been a while since I've done an overnight trip but my $0.02...

If it's about getting from point A to point B, roomette is fine. If you don't have any pressing need for the points, the bedroom is nice upgrade. 5 things I do like about the bedroom:

-The couch is nice to sit next to each other, rather than face to face and knee to knee
-You don't have any rooms across the hall from you. If the scenery is better on the other side, you can open the bedroom door or stand outside. In the roomette, you have another unit taking up the window on the other side.
-The bottom bed is noticeably bigger. Good if you're claustrophobic or if two of you want to nap a bit in the same bed... or if you're hoping for, well your screen name
-You can fit more luggage in the room and avoid having to go back and forth to the luggage racks if you don't plan it out.
-Changing clothes and getting ready for bed does not require someone standing in the hallway
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:56 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ne52
It's been a while since I've done an overnight trip but my $0.02...

If it's about getting from point A to point B, roomette is fine. If you don't have any pressing need for the points, the bedroom is nice upgrade. 5 things I do like about the bedroom:

-The couch is nice to sit next to each other, rather than face to face and knee to knee
-You don't have any rooms across the hall from you. If the scenery is better on the other side, you can open the bedroom door or stand outside. In the roomette, you have another unit taking up the window on the other side.
-The bottom bed is noticeably bigger. Good if you're claustrophobic or if two of you want to nap a bit in the same bed... or if you're hoping for, well your screen name
-You can fit more luggage in the room and avoid having to go back and forth to the luggage racks if you don't plan it out.
-Changing clothes and getting ready for bed does not require someone standing in the hallway
Completely agree. I would definitely go for the bedroom for all reasons mentioned here. I have traveled on that train a few years ago and it is really nice. I believe the difference in quality is certainly worth 10,000 AGR points.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select
I much prefer the bedroom for the extra space. I don't like sharing the leg room in the roomette with my H.

YMMV on this one.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Is it just me, or does the OP have a rather odd, ahem, username?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Is it just me, or does the OP have a rather odd, ahem, username?
As noted upthread:

Originally Posted by ne52
Old Oct 24, 2013, 9:24 am

I did this run from North to South, and you will spend a lot of time in the Parlor Car, which is awesome. I would recommend the bedroom, since you will be on the train for over 36 hours, and it is much more comfortable than the roomette for sleeping.

If either of you are tall, definitely go with the bedroom.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
I also believe the sleeper is worth 10k more points than roomette for trips two nights or more. However, if I only had 40k points and needed 2 zone travel, I prefer 2 trips in roomettes (40k) over 1 trip in a sleeper (with 10k leftover). I could sacrifice by spending a lot of time in the lounge cars.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:58 pm

Not exactly on topic, but I have a sister who is obese, probably just short of 300 lbs. I looked at the specifications on the lower bunks and the lower berth of the bedroom is 40 inches across. I think this might be big enough, but are there weight restrictions on the beds? Are there other things to watch out for with respect to a person of some significant size? She won't fly, but I would like to send her to NYC to the Met and this might be a way to get there other than driving.

Thanks for any insight.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: AGR
Originally Posted by xooz
Not exactly on topic, but I have a sister who is obese, probably just short of 300 lbs. I looked at the specifications on the lower bunks and the lower berth of the bedroom is 40 inches across. I think this might be big enough, but are there weight restrictions on the beds? Are there other things to watch out for with respect to a person of some significant size? She won't fly, but I would like to send her to NYC to the Met and this might be a way to get there other than driving.

Thanks for any insight.
There should be no problem as far as weight. The bed in daytime configuration is a sofa that easily seats three adults @ maybe 250 lbs+ a person. Other posters(riders) have mentioned 350 lbs as their weight . A persons weight is spread out more when prone.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:35 pm

Thanks! I will do some more research on this as an option for my sister. I haven't taken a US train in 30 years, but can transfer points from Chase to Amtrak so considering using points for sister.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:36 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
While it does wander around a bit, you might find this topic over at Amtrak Unlimited to be of some help. Several people talk about the various issues of being 300 LBS on an Amtrak train.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AlanB
While it does wander around a bit, you might find this topic over at Amtrak Unlimited to be of some help. Several people talk about the various issues of being 300 LBS on an Amtrak train.
This size of passenger seems a bit more common on Amtrak long-distance trains than on the airlines.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
can anyone comment on whether a roomette on the upper floor or lower floor is preferred? (Apparently there are two floors on this train ride?) I'll be taking my first trip on the Superliner LA to Seattle next week. I would imagine there is less movement on the bottom floor, but are there any other considerations? Bathroom location maybe? Any feedback on room location would be much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.