Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Washington Union - NY Penn on Accela - Food good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Continental, Virgin, Southwest

First time my wife and I will be traveling north of Oklahoma (yes...go ahead..jest me a little, I love Texas...)

But we are doing an open jaw flight (Courtesy of my 50k Continental miles) into DCA and out of LGA.

I am planning on purchasing the 5pm Accela into NYP and was wondering how the food is both taste wise and price wise?

If it is terrible or overpriced, are you allowed to bring your own food onboard? Maybe Chili's or Applebees takeout?

Are the security measures similar to Airports?

Lastly, I checked the discount thread, but are there any deals from Union to Penn on June 20th (Sunday @ PM)

This will be my first "high speed" train ride ever, so I am a little giddy about it as here in Texas, we have ONE commuter train. The rest are slow regional trains that take 4 million years to get anywhere.
Old May 28, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Bring your own food. The food isn't bad, but it's certainly not very good. There is a food car (hot/cold food, drinks, etc.), and a food cart (chips, drinks, candy etc.)

I actually think it's priced correctly - especially when you compare to airport food.

Security measures are much less obvious than at the airport, there's no screening, etc.

This is the busiest route Amtrak has, i don't think there are ever any promos for it.
Old May 28, 2010, 3:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
I'll let other's comment on the food, as I've never purchased food in the cafe car on Acela, however I suspect that you can buy better off the train. And yes, you are allowed to bring food onto the train, but you cannot consume it in the cafe car. You must eat it at your seat.

There are rarely any deals on Acela and even far more unlikely that you'd get a deal on a rush hour train.

And you'll find security to be far less than what you experience at an airport. If you pick the wrong day, then you might just be subjected to a random inspection of your luggage. Pick the right day and even that won't happen.

There will be no taking your shoes off, no metal detectors, and no scanners.
Old May 28, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: AGR
If you qualify, you can use the Senior discount on weekends on the Acela with no advance purchase.You can use the AAA discount on weekends on the Acela with three days advance purchase required.Please see http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten.../1237405732514
Also, buy your Acela tickets as soon as possible to get the lowest price as the price goes up with time.
Old May 28, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
I would say that Amtrak has the best microwave cheeseburger that I have ever had. But it is also the only place that I have ever had one.

In all, the cafe fare is ok. Not bad but not really good either. It's more snack type of food, but on a three hour trip it really shouldn't be an issue. They do have snack boxes that are about $9.00 and have a decent assortment in them.
Old May 28, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Minter66
If it is terrible or overpriced, are you allowed to bring your own food onboard? Maybe Chili's or Applebees takeout?

Also, there isn't a chili's or Applebee's at Union Station (I don't there is one in DC?). At Union Station you have a few options - Corner Bakery, ABP, Chinese Restaurant, American Restaurant. There are a few restaurants in the vicinity - capital city brewery, etc. which aren't bad. It all depends on what you are looking for.
Old May 29, 2010, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
If you want to upgrade to First Class, the food served onboard is actually very good--certainly better than any food I've ever had in domestic F on a U.S.-based airline.

I've only ever traveled in First on Acela (when you only get to do it once every couple of years, it's worth the premium!), so I can't speak to the quality of the food in the cafe car, but others above have.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
This will be my first "high speed" train ride ever, so I am a little giddy about it as here in Texas, we have ONE commuter train. The rest are slow regional trains that take 4 million years to get anywhere.
Don't get too excited. The average speed is no more than 70mph.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by FormerAmtrakTraveler
Don't get too excited. The average speed is no more than 70mph.
That may be the average speed, but still for someone who has never gone faster than 79 MPH on a train, 135 MPH will still be a thrill even if it's not sustained throughout the entire trip.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Continental, Virgin, Southwest
Originally Posted by AlanB
That may be the average speed, but still for someone who has never gone faster than 79 MPH on a train, 135 MPH will still be a thrill even if it's not sustained throughout the entire trip.
I don't think we break 40mph on the TRE in Dallas/Ft. Worth, so yes 135 mph even for a couple of minutes will be cool to me.

Thanks to all who answered back. I am still kind of confused on one thing.

In airports, you can only bring onboard the airplane what is purchased once you are past security.

Can I buy something next door to my hotel, take it to the train station, through security and onto the train? Or does it have to be purchased past the security checkpoint.

Oh and that sucks about Chilis's and Applebees, DC for sure doesn't have a Texas Road House huh

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: AGR
Yes, you can buy something and bring it on the train.There is no airport type gate security check other than a ticket check. You might be sniffed by an Amtrak dog, along the way,or be randomly picked for a bag and/or ID search.I saw the first TSA officers in NYP last week,however,just walking around.
Old May 29, 2010, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Can I buy something next door to my hotel, take it to the train station, through security and onto the train? Or does it have to be purchased past the security checkpoint.
You will be surprised at how different Amtrak travel is from air travel.

It's actually not much different than traveling on your beloved TRE (except that the seats are probably a bit nicer). Most of the stations around the country are just uncontrolled concrete blocks. On the NEC, most stations are staffed, but at all but the busiest, you can still access the platform without any sort of controls.

It's MUCH less painful than air travel. Take all the questions you have about issues you'll have out of your mind completely--they don't apply on the train!
Old May 30, 2010, 5:06 am

Programs: BA GfL
Union Station is very well stocked with restaurants that you can get takeout from--both upscale and food-court style (there is a very large food court in the station, downstairs from the ticketing level). Frankly, if I had to choose between Applebee's takeout and Amtrak's cafe car, I'd take the microwave hot dog!

I would not upgrade to First just for the food--the price differential is substantial and you can buy yourself a much nicer meal in the station for the money you'd spend. I often use upgrades for F and like the food, but I'd never pay for F. The seats are only very marginally better than the business class seats on Acela trains. The one benefit of F from Union Station is the lounge, and the direct-to-train access from the lounge. (I don't travel from WAS enough to know a trick to beat the lines there, if there is one...if you were getting on the train at NYP I'd be able to help!)
Old May 30, 2010, 5:46 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Union Station is very well stocked with restaurants that you can get takeout from--

I would not upgrade to First just for the food

Completely agree with both of these statements. In my opinion, they tried to make the first class food a little too fancy and I really don't like it. Things like bison meatloaf, ancho-chili rubbed arctic char....sounds good, but it's usually not.

There are so many good options in Union Station. I much prefer a fresh salad or sandwich from Au Bon Pain or Corner Bakery in Union Station over anything you can get on board.

Just about the only good item i've had on board was the microwave hamburger in the cafe car. It's surprisingly good.
Old May 30, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by travelmad478
The one benefit of F from Union Station is the lounge, and the direct-to-train access from the lounge. (I don't travel from WAS enough to know a trick to beat the lines there, if there is one...if you were getting on the train at NYP I'd be able to help!)
My favorite benefit of Acela First isn't the station or the lounge, it's the all-you-can-drink booze for 2.5 hours.

Anyways, what are your tips for beating the lines at NYP? I can never seem to beat the masses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.