Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who owns these MR points?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2023, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Who owns these MR points?

Guys - is there a way for me to find out what name is linked to MR points? Here's my situation - I opened up a Gold card on my name & an authorized user (family member). I closed my card only keeping the authorizer users's card open and its annual fee is due now. The points show up under my profile - does that mean they belong to me even though the active card is the authorized user's? Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2023, 5:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sam007
.... I opened up a Gold card on my name & an authorized user (family member). I closed my card only keeping the authorizer users's card open and its annual fee is due now. .
To my knowledge this is not possible. I think your account is still open, and the points are yours. Is this a Business Gold or personal? What is the amount of the annual fee?

Additional Card Members do not have accounts with us but can use your Account subject to the terms of the Card Member Agreement, must be at least 13 years of age and never had a default account with American Express. You are responsible for the activity and use of your Account by Additional Card Members. You must pay for all charges they make.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by mia; Nov 10, 2023 at 6:06 pm
Old Nov 10, 2023, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Guys - is there a way for me to find out what name is linked to MR points? Here's my situation - I opened up a Gold card on my name & an authorized user (family member). I closed my card only keeping the authorizer users's card open and its annual fee is due now. The points show up under my profile - does that mean they belong to me even though the active card is the authorized user's? Thanks
I didn’t know that you could close the main account and keep the authorized user (called additional cardholder) card open. Are you sure this is happening here?

In general, points from charges made by the additional cardholder go into the MR (or partner hotel/airline) account of the primary cardholder.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 6:06 pm

The owner of a MR points account can NOT change. If you were authorized to use a relative's points, that will continue. You are given access to those points as AU. If you lost track who owns which MR account, just call or text an agent for clarification. If the MR owner does not own an MR-earning accounts, the balance will evaporate after 30 days. So get this clarified soon.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Ok will call them but they seem co fused at times too and I think the reason for that is when ordering the authorized user card, I put name on the card to be my name. Of course the numbers of the two cards differ and I know which is primary and which is authorized. I did close primary as I didn’t want to pay the authorized card fee and realistically I only needed one card since both of us use Apple Pay and could do so off just a single card

Annual fee for this business gold card is 295 and my plan is to open up a business card with no annual fee but just confused on whose name I need to open it up and link the points to. Do MR points also have a MR# and name attached to them and where can I find that

thank you
Old Nov 11, 2023, 2:06 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Ok will call them but they seem co fused at times too and I think the reason for that is when ordering the authorized user card, I put name on the card to be my name. Of course the numbers of the two cards differ and I know which is primary and which is authorized. I did close primary as I didn’t want to pay the authorized card fee

I’m confused too. Why would you put your name on the authorized user card rather than that of the other person? And why would you close the primary card rather than the authorized user card if your intent was to avoid the authorized card fee?
Admiral Ackbar and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 2:32 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
None of this makes any sense, for reasons stated by others above. But if it is true that you managed to enroll yourself as both the primary user and authorized user (employee user?) on the same account, and that account is somehow still open, then by definition the person owning the account is you. There are no other options. So why does it make a difference to you whether the owner is you as the primary cardholder or you as the authorized user? Did you supply a false birthday or other information for one or the other version of your identity?
Segments and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
OP, It’s your Business Gold account even though you don’t have an active card in your own name.

Pretty certain that MR points earned by the Authorised User accrue to you as the account owner.

Responsibility for all fees and charges is also yours, should the Authorised User go rogue and misuse/abuse their card privileges.
ZenFlyer and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by southlondonphil
OP, It’s your Business Gold account even though you don’t have an active card in your own name.

Pretty certain that MR points earned by the Authorised User accrue to you as the account owner.

Responsibility for all fees and charges is also yours, should the Authorised User go rogue and misuse/abuse their card privileges.
Sorry, I messed this up and hence the confusion. understood and so far the points also show up under my account. Hence it looks like I will be opening up a new annual fee card and attach to the MR points to use in the future. I assume I can transfer to an airline in the future and book a ticket either for me or a family member
Old Nov 11, 2023, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Ok confirmed it’s on my account

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.