FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Amex Skyguide Executive Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/848400-amex-skyguide-executive-privilege-club.html)

Happy4 Aug 22, 2006 7:20 pm

Amex Skyguide Executive Privilege Club

Offer from Amex came in over email

Does anyone use Skyguide? Does the companion ticket have any value or is it a "never can use it" type of promotion?

I know it is only $3. But, I didn't want to get on another mailing list if it is not worth it.

As an American Express Cardmember, you have been selected to receive a 6-month membership in the SKYGUIDE Executive Privilege Club, brought to you by EXECUTIVE TRAVEL SKYGUIDE magazine. Your club membership entitles you to premium services, special discounts and exclusive club benefits, plus an Airline Companion Ticket.* You pay just $2.99 for initial processing to activate your exclusive membership.

The SKYGUIDE Executive Privilege Club caters to your needs—both on the road and at home—by delivering first-class travel perks, big savings and well-earned luxuries. During your 6-month membership, take advantage of benefits like these:

Exclusive concierge service that acts as your valet: planning events, getting tickets and securing VIP amenities just for you—available anytime, anywhere
Preferential access and discounts to business and personal conveniences
Savings from upscale retailers all year-round
Online restaurant reservations
Members-only newsletters and special luxury offers
To get your Free Airline Companion Ticket, reply today!

Together, your 6-month membership and airline companion ticket are valued at $699.00. Enjoy them as a “thank you” from us: you only pay a small $2.99 processing fee.

Join now and start enjoying all the Privileges of club membership!

Kagehitokiri Aug 22, 2006 10:25 pm

id only go for it if i could use the companion ticket.

Dreps Aug 23, 2006 7:03 am

Yesterday, I received a similar offer for a subscription to Food & Wine and a "free" companion ticket. I have the same question because it says practically nothing about what type of companion ticket you receive. I guess I'll try to call someone.

jayzee9 Aug 23, 2006 7:20 am

I got the Amex offer and was just about to sign up for it before I saw the terms of the ticket. You have to buy a ticket for a minimum of $300. I believe that would get you between two texas cities. The ticket for say AUS-ORD was something like $450 or $500 and the tickets went up to $600. Then you got your "free companion ticket." I don't know about you, but I just got two AA upgrade-able mile-accruing tickets from AUS-ORD for $219 including taxes each, which makes this deal pretty bad.

proconcierge Aug 23, 2006 10:39 am

Membership has it's cost.

The annual fee to be a member is $199.
From their web page.
"FREE TWO MONTHS OF MEMBERSHIP!
Enjoy two FREE months of membership in the SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club with our compliments. We’ll send your full membership package to you right away. After the two free months, if you want to continue receiving the exclusive benefits, do nothing and you will receive 12 more months of club membership (14 in all). You will be charged the special rate of $199.00 for your first year ($209.00 for Canadian orders) billed to your credit card. Otherwise, simply call 1-800-365-4357 to cancel. If satisfied, you will receive continuous annual renewal of your membership at the then current rate until you advise us to cancel. You may cancel your membership at any time, for any reason, and receive a credit on the remainder of your membership term – GUARANTEED."

larceny Aug 29, 2006 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Happy4
Offer from Amex came in over email

Does anyone use Skyguide? Does the companion ticket have any value or is it a "never can use it" type of promotion?

I know it is only $3. But, I didn't want to get on another mailing list if it is not worth it.

I just received this offer as well. Since it's only $3, I'll probably sign up for the "offers". Has anyone ever used this service?

rrgg Aug 29, 2006 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by proconcierge
The annual fee to be a member is $199.

The offer I saw says 6 months free and then $29.95, not $199.00

"If I enjoy my six free months and want to continue receiving the valuable benefits, I’ll do nothing and my membership will be renewed for twelve more months at the then current rate (currently $29.95) billed to my American Express Card."

Kagehitokiri Aug 29, 2006 9:23 pm

Between different annual prices and a crappy companion ticket (which is only thing I would have considered in decision) it sounds pretty bogus..

rrgg Aug 29, 2006 10:02 pm

You might think it's a bad deal, but it's not bogus.

Kagehitokiri Aug 29, 2006 10:27 pm

Why would two different annual rates with a difference of $170 be given in two different places then?

Sounds about as close to a "scam" as a "legitimate" thing can be...

s25843 Aug 29, 2006 11:37 pm

This alone may be worth joining

Unwind, Refresh, Decompress . . . at the Airport!

What's the best place to take a quick shower after a long flight, enjoy a relaxing massage, even take a nap before a meeting? Increasingly, the surprising answer is at the airport. Even as airlines cut back on in-flight amenities, airports and airport clubs are offering more. Here are just a few of the options for a quick refresher now available to air travelers. Even if you don't otherwise qualify for membership in airline-run airport clubs, you can now enjoy one-day access to the clubs' showers, Wi-Fi connections, free snacks, and other opportunities to recharge for about $50 a day.

Purchase a guest pass at any airport club and we will reimburse you up to $50.* !* It's a special, limited-time offer** just for SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club members like you. Utilize your airport club guest pass up to three times a month, now through January 2007! Just remember to mail us your receipt within 30 days of use. When you're a SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club member, pamper yourself on us to stay relaxed and refreshed while traveling!

Kagehitokiri Aug 30, 2006 12:29 am

Value of $150 a month for 5 months? What lounges does it work with?

s25843 Aug 30, 2006 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Value of $150 a month for 5 months? What lounges does it work with?

The T&C State any lounge as long as its no more than $50, you have a receipt, and you mail the receipt within 30 days of the date on the receipt. I am a DL CRC member, but I am going to mail in a Red Carpet receipt that I have and see if I get reimbursed.

Kagehitokiri Aug 30, 2006 12:45 am

Just looked at the actual site http://www.skyguideclub.com/

There are some different benefits, nothing that great, other than if the lounge/gym thing works as advertised. Suggests you can get up to 40% off AVIS as well.

If the lounge/gym thing works or you use the partners, it could be worth $200.

rrgg Aug 31, 2006 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Why would two different annual rates with a difference of $170 be given in two different places then?

Sounds about as close to a "scam" as a "legitimate" thing can be...

Are you kidding? Just about everyone makes different offers to different consumers, even online giants like Amazon. The annual rate I mentioned was in an emailed link I received. Take a look at all the credit card offers out there-- different APR, different mileage bonus, and so on.

mia Aug 31, 2006 9:44 am

These offers are for two different products.

$ 29.95 = Skyguide http://www.eskyguide.com/

$199.00 = Skyguide Club http://www.skyguideclub.com/index.asp

Originally Posted by rrgg

"If I enjoy my six free months and want to continue receiving the valuable benefits, I’ll do nothing and my membership will be renewed for twelve more months at the then current rate (currently $29.95) billed to my American Express Card."

pl804 Sep 1, 2006 8:30 am

Originally Posted by mia
These offers are for two different products.

$ 29.95 = Skyguide http://www.eskyguide.com/

$199.00 = Skyguide Club http://www.skyguideclub.com/index.asp

Actually, they're the same thing. Click through the links and they link to each other. They're also both for the Executive Privilege Club.

I have a healthy bit of skepticism for the companion ticket, but the lounge benefit sounds awesome. Will see if this works.

mia Sep 1, 2006 6:27 pm

They are not the "same thing". The Club includes a Skyguide subscription, along with other benefits. This explains why there are offers at substantially prices for the subscription alone or bundled as part of the club membership.

rrgg Sep 15, 2006 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by s25843
...Purchase a guest pass at any airport club and we will reimburse you up to $50.* !* It's a special, limited-time offer** just for SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club members like you. Utilize your airport club guest pass up to three times a month, now through January 2007! Just remember to mail us your receipt within 30 days of use...

Am I misreading this or do they only reimburse guest passes through January 2007? Do you remember where you found this clause, because I don't see the club benefit listed anywhere else as a limited-time offer? Thanks.

otto8itall Sep 17, 2006 6:02 pm

the 29.95 sounds like the price of the magazine for the year. not the credit card fee.

s25843 Sep 21, 2006 12:24 pm

Am I misreading this or do they only reimburse guest passes through January 2007? Do you remember where you found this clause, because I don't see the club benefit listed anywhere else as a limited-time offer? Thanks.

Just an update, I received my $50 check from "American Express Publishing" today. So, they DO reimburse the full amount for day passes.

thomas3633 Oct 24, 2006 4:52 pm

Just an update, I received my $50 check from "American Express Publishing" today. So, they DO reimburse the full amount for day passes.

So did you sign up for the $2.99 for six month offer. I am thinking of doing this for the lounge benefits. But in reading this thread and the details of the offer I got from AMEX I am still not completely sure what I am getting.

Does sound tempting since its only $2.99.

upgrader Oct 25, 2006 7:59 am

I just joined and it says it will be 4-6 weeks before I receive my membership kit. Is it possible to use the $50 airline club benefit between now and when I receive the kit or do I have to wait for specific forms that are in the kit? The sign-up confirmation says I can start using benefits right away by going through the web site but I can't find anything specific to the airline club benefits in terms of forms and procedures.

I've called the 888 info number but after going through myriad "if this, then please press this" automated connections, I got a final "We're sorry. All our agents are currently busy. Please call back again during our business hours of .... Good-bye." Not a good indicator of top-notch service, to say the least.

s25843 Oct 25, 2006 8:08 am

Originally Posted by upgrader
I just joined and it says it will be 4-6 weeks before I receive my membership kit. Is it possible to use the $50 airline club benefit between now and when I receive the kit or do I have to wait for specific forms that are in the kit? The sign-up confirmation says I can start using benefits right away by going through the web site but I can't find anything specific to the airline club benefits in terms of forms and procedures.

I've called the 888 info number but after going through myriad "if this, then please press this" automated connections, I got a final "We're sorry. All our agents are currently busy. Please call back again during our business hours of .... Good-bye." Not a good indicator of top-notch service, to say the least.

I mailed in the recepit with a note indicating my membership number and address, and thats it. In fact, the day I got the membership kit, I cancelled, so you don't need the forms.

upgrader Oct 25, 2006 10:02 am

Thanks, S25843. Just what I was hoping.

fl_duffer Oct 13, 2007 4:06 pm

AMEX Skyguide exec program

Has anyone joined this program - get a free companion ticket when booking thru them

Low cost intro period - what are the issues with the program

nearSACTO Oct 23, 2007 9:07 am

I'm curious about the program too... I just received an email from AMEX with the 6-month free offer, then $29.95 mo.

nam Oct 24, 2007 10:17 am

Originally Posted by nearSACTO (Post 8607820)
I'm curious about the program too... I just received an email from AMEX with the 6-month free offer, then $29.95 mo.

I haven't heard of this before. Do you have a link that you can share?

Marisaac Oct 25, 2007 5:58 pm

SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club

I got this offer via email today with 6 months free membership, companion airfare and annual membership of $29.95. Anybody else received this offer? What do you think; value for money? Is this mid-tier between Plat and Gold?

http://www.skyguideclub.com/index.aspx

alect Oct 25, 2007 9:32 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745936

USAFAN Oct 26, 2007 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Marisaac (Post 8621349)
I got this offer via email today with 6 months free membership, companion airfare and annual membership of $29.95. Anybody else received this offer? What do you think; value for money? Is this mid-tier between Plat and Gold?

http://www.skyguideclub.com/index.aspx

I also got this offer. Looked at the link you provided ....there is nothing offered what would be of any interest for me.

sbm12 Oct 26, 2007 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by USAFAN (Post 8624362)
I also got this offer. Looked at the link you provided ....there is nothing offered what would be of any interest for me.

Other than the day-pass gym membership, is there anything of any real value? Shopping discounts are a joke, and I can't believe that their brand of the OAG flight list is worth much at all. Definitely not $30/month.

LDR Dec 10, 2007 11:56 am

Here is the link:

https://secure.customersvc.com/servl...MSCEKX=CYAA6V0

I have yet to use this membership for anything. Still waiting for the companion certificate...

steveandlisa Mar 26, 2008 8:52 am

skyguide companion ticket SCAM

:td::pThe one or two free companion tickets worth up to $1100 for a $59 subscription sound too good to be true? It is. This is a scam. It shows that corporate greed does not stop at the door of name brand companies such as American Express. The scam is that you must buy your regular ticket through their agency. These tickets are priced hundreds of dollars more than buying the ticket online or through your own travel agent. In the end you might save a little money on two tickets, but with the limited cities serviced (only 100)you may have to drive or pick up the tab for the connecting flight. In the end, it's just not a straight up deal, but something that sounds way better than it actually is. If you need SkyGuide when you travel, go ahead and buy it. I think you can usually find the same info on your smartphone for nothing.

nrr Jul 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Amex promo for "skyguide executive privilege club"

Since I have an amex plat card, i get lounge access through it. I received a mailing, from amex, for the SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club: (1) for $2.99 (processing fee) you get two months membership and if you remain after two months, there is an additional $29.95 for the full (first) year, (2) $59.95 for each additional year; what is "big" feature: you get 3 times a month lounge access (for all airlines)--you pay the $50 fee to the airline club upfront (a day pass), and send the receipt (to the Priv. Club) for reimbursement. [There is also a companion "free" ticket promo also included...]
This really isn't specific to aa, but since i fly aa, i'm posting it here.
If, the club lives up to its ad, this should be a super deal--i was about to throw it away, but decided to read the whole ad.

astanley Jul 24, 2008 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 10092371)
Since I have an amex plat card, i get lounge access through it. I received a mailing, from amex, for the SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club: (1) for $2.99 (processing fee) you get two months membership and if you remain after two months, there is an additional $29.95 for the full (first) year, (2) $59.95 for each additional year; what is "big" feature: you get 3 times a month lounge access (for all airlines)--you pay the $50 fee to the airline club upfront (a day pass), and send the receipt (to the Priv. Club) for reimbursement. [There is also a companion "free" ticket promo also included...]
This really isn't specific to aa, but since i fly aa, i'm posting it here.
If, the club lives up to its ad, this should be a super deal--i was about to throw it away, but decided to read the whole ad.

Is this only available to a Platinum card holder? Because, at first blush -- you are paying $400 for the benefit of access at any participating lounge... plus now this new fee structure.

I guess the benefit is going to a club for an airline you are not travelling on that day -- which seems (to me) to be a marginal benefit for the cost. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,

-Andrew

mvoight Jul 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by astanley (Post 10092621)
Is this only available to a Platinum card holder? Because, at first blush -- you are paying $400 for the benefit of access at any participating lounge... plus now this new fee structure.

I guess the benefit is going to a club for an airline you are not travelling on that day -- which seems (to me) to be a marginal benefit for the cost. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,

-Andrew

The website doesn't say anything about having an AMEX card at all, as far as I have seen. The signup page lets you use other cards to pay, and there is nothing on the signup page asking for your AMEX number

http://www.skyguideclub.com/

Ah, but one pages says
"*Please use your American Express Card when paying for these guest passes."
http://www.skyguideclub.com/shopping/partner.aspx?id=48

BUT http://www.skyguideclub.com/info/faqs.aspx#10

10 . Which credit cards can I use to make purchases?

American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover are all accepted for any purchase you make as a SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club member.

(I have requested an response on this)
"We prefer you use your AMEX card but you can use any card and we will reimburse you. Thanks."

nrr Jul 24, 2008 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by astanley (Post 10092621)

Cheers,

-Andrew

I only mentioned my amex plat card. I am certain this was a general mailing to me (from a different cc i have with them), not in anyway connected with my amex plat card. [My amex plat card is a business card, and the mailing for the "club" did not have the company name in the address.]

swag Jul 24, 2008 8:48 pm

6 . What happens after one year?

After one year, your membership will automatically renew at the then current membership rate.

7 . How much is the renewal fee?

The current renewal rate is $199.00; however, this is subject to change.
Perhaps the $29.95 / $59.95 rate is available only to Amex Plat cardholders.

VonS Jul 24, 2008 10:08 pm

Has anyone tried this? Almost looks too good to be true.