Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by usmcommando
I've been using amex gold skymiles card for 15 months, they told me you are not charged for 24.95 for insurance until you return and close out the bill. so you could reserve with your amex, and then at returning the car, use a different card so you are not charged for the insurance. one could also think that this is a good way to save $25 a month if the car is returned with no damage ... good idea
Yep. I've done this almost every time I rent
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:22 pm

car rental insurance

i currently have an amex plat and i had signed up for car insurance pay per rental i believe its 25 dollars. i have used that and was charged the 25 dollars right after my card is charged the rental fee.

i had rented a car over the weekend and used my platinum but was NEVER charged the insurance fee. i am a bit concern as i am not sure if i was covered or not. luckily this time around i didn't have an incident but i wanted to see if anyone ran into this before.

did the coverage get discontinued? i guess i could call amex but wanted to see on here first.

thanks !
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jordandawg05
i had rented a car over the weekend and used my platinum but was NEVER charged the insurance fee.
Was the credit card transaction submitted by a car rental company -or- by a travel agency or consolidator?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Was the credit card transaction submitted by a car rental company -or- by a travel agency or consolidator?
i rented with national and i was charged by them directly.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mia
i rented with national and i was charged by them directly.
The only way to know for sure whether you had the $25 primary protection or the free secondary protection on that rental is to call Amex and ask.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The only way to know for sure whether you had the $25 primary protection or the free secondary protection on that rental is to call Amex and ask.
gotcha, ya i guess i'll call and inquire..i just found it weird since i signed up for the coverage and did exactly what i was suppose to do
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:53 pm

i currently have an amex plat and i had signed up for car insurance pay per rental i believe its 25 dollars. i have used that and was charged the 25 dollars right after my card is charged the rental fee.

i had rented a car over the weekend and used my platinum but was NEVER charged the insurance fee. i am a bit concern as i am not sure if i was covered or not. luckily this time around i didn't have an incident but i wanted to see if anyone ran into this before.

did the coverage get discontinued? i guess i could call amex but wanted to see on here first.

thanks !

If you just returned the car Monday ( and made this post Tuesday) maybe the AMEX charge is pending.

The last time I used the insurance I returned the car 4/13 and the $24.95 posted on 4/15.

The rental insurance is tied to the card and activates ( and charges) every time you rent a car
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
If you just returned the car Monday ( and made this post Tuesday) maybe the AMEX charge is pending.

The last time I used the insurance I returned the car 4/13 and the $24.95 posted on 4/15.

The rental insurance is tied to the card and activates ( and charges) every time you rent a car
the good news is the charge got posted ! so i guess the process still works , i guess it took a few days to go through as i had returned the car Sunday. so all good, thanks !
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:53 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have used the AMEX Premium Car Rental protection and unfortunately was involved in a hit & run accident. I foolishly confronted the offender in a parking lot at 1am & they decided to flee. I could not have been more pleased at how professional & prompt AMEX was in processing the claim!

Now a question, anyone have an idea why Italy is excluded from coverage?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Now a question, anyone have an idea why Italy is excluded from coverage?
I believe it's simply because Italian law requires specific coverage and the rental companies force the renter to buy it from them, because they otherwise could not verify coverage.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mia
I believe it's simply because Italian law requires specific coverage and the rental companies force the renter to buy it from them, because they otherwise could not verify coverage.
Perhaps also because there is a much higher rate of theft and body damage in Italy. Traditionally anyways.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 7:24 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
thanks
Originally Posted by stimpy
Perhaps also because there is a much higher rate of theft and body damage in Italy. Traditionally anyways.
I've been aware of most (all?) car rental companies not allowing one to drive from western Europe into eastern European but I was not aware of higher rate of theft & body damage in Italy.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
AMEX Protection effective when reservation includes LDW?

My company's corporate rate with National includes National's LDW. I'm using the corp rate to book an SUV during holiday season.--All other SUV rates are much more costly!

When booking, there's no option to deselect the included National LDW. I thought about asking the counter agent to manually remove the LDW, but I don't want to attract attention to my using the company rate.

Will I be able to claim AMEX protection if my reservation shows National LDW included?

I will be driving the snowy mountains around Tahoe during Christmas week, so want to make sure I'm protected!
Old Dec 5, 2013, 3:30 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I'm thinking about taking advantage of Avis Germany's offer, for holders of an F boarding pass on LH, of 3hr Porsche 911 rental for €99. Would this be covered by PCRP assuming I pay for it with an Amex card? Also, am I understanding correctly that PCRP is excluded from the Business version of the SPG Amex?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Premium Rental Car Coverage

I've been looking to use the premium rental car insurance through AMEX for an upcoming international trip, since it is likely my personal insurance won't provide coverage, and if anything will make anything easier should an unfortunate thing happen. With that being said, what exactly does this cover? I looked through the T&Cs on the info page (https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...verage/home.do), and it just says 'damages'. Would this insurance cover say a burnt up clutch in a manual transmission vehicle (since manuals are more or less standard elsewhere in the world, and you never know who has driven it in the past - and those can be pricey repairs) or wheel damage or is it really just the "whoops I backed into a post" or "Some dude hit me with his door" type of damage? I was hoping to find a copy of the actual policy, but had not seen anything online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.