Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Does anyone know if there is any restriction regarding consecutive rentals that total 90 days, provided any single contract is no longer than 42 days? I'm trying to read the small print to determine if it will be ok to do three consecutive rentals during an upcoming three-month trip.

For the premium coverage, it says:

"Pay a flat rate per vehicle rental for up to 42 consecutive days of coverage," and

"The Plan can cover an eligible Rental Car for the first 42 consecutive days of a rental as long as the Card Member remains in Possession of the Rental Car," and

"As long as the Cardmember remains in Possession of the Rental Car, the Plan covers an eligible Rental Car for the first [42] consecutive days."

Should we be ok if we return a car, close out the contract, and pick up a new car on a new contract (same day) three times?

Did something change? I thought it was 48 days.

As to your question, I do this all the time with National. For insurance purposes the contract must be closed out. There needs to be at least 24 hrs between rentals in order to have insurance coverage thru the CC or even your personal policy that includes rental car coverage.

I manage this by doing a different rental contract for 2 days with a different CC. I’ve always been able to keep the car (if I like it). National seems to be used to it.
Note, I do 2 days just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by Bartolo; Mar 28, 2024 at 8:48 pm
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Did something change? I thought it was 48 days.
48 days is the limit for the Canadian Platinum card's Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance benefit.

This thread discusses American Express USA's Premium Car Rental Protection which is an extra cost product. "Enrollment is limited to permanent residents of the 50 United States and D.C. At this time, enrollments are not available in New Hampshire, Puerto Rico and United States Virgin Islands."
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:36 pm

As to your question, I do this all the time with National. For insurance purposes the contract must be closed out. There needs to be at least 24 hrs between rentals in order to have insurance coverage thru the CC or even your personal policy that includes rental car coverage.

I manage this by doing a different rental contract for 2 days with a different CC. I’ve always been able to keep the car (if I like it). National seems to be used to it.
Note, I do 2 days just to be on the safe side.
Where does one see this requirement for a 24 hour gap between rentals? That would certainly make things more complicated. When you say a different CC, can it still be another AmEx that is covered by the premium car rental protection, or does it have to be a CC that is not linked to the same insurance?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Where does one see this requirement for a 24 hour gap between rentals? That would certainly make things more complicated. When you say a different CC, can it still be another AmEx that is covered by the premium car rental protection, or does it have to be a CC that is not linked to the same insurance?
Bartolo lists his location as Canada. As mia points out, Bartolo might be talking about the coverage which is included with his credit card, as opposed to the extra-cost Amex Premium coverage.

In what country will you be renting? Many credit cards provide up to thirty days of free rental-car coverage (subject to certain limitations as to type/cost of vehicle) outside of the U.S.. For 90 days, you could conceivably sandwich one month of paid Amex coverage between two months of free coverage with other cards. Check terms and conditions carefully.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Bartolo lists his location as Canada. As mia points out, Bartolo might be talking about the coverage which is included with his credit card, as opposed to the extra-cost Amex Premium coverage.

In what country will you be renting? Many credit cards provide up to thirty days of free rental-car coverage (subject to certain limitations as to type/cost of vehicle) outside of the U.S.. For 90 days, you could conceivably sandwich one month of paid Amex coverage between two months of free coverage with other cards. Check terms and conditions carefully.
We are renting in Denmark. I prefer to use AmEx with the extra-fee premium rental coverage because that’s the card that provides my Hertz Platinum and Avis President’s Club status. I don’t see anything in the terms of the premium protection that indicates a gap is required between contracts. Is this something that is stipulated anywhere?

Thank you!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I don’t see the “gap” anywhere in print. I could have missed it, of course. The so-called fine print is just that. I can barely read the Amex info on insurance the type is so small.

When I first started doing long rentals, I called the company that underwrites the insurance for my CC. I happened to get an adjuster and he was exceedingly helpful. He is the one who told me about this. Said it was one of the first things he looks at when he is resolving a claim. This was VISA.

Subsequently, I checked with the Amex insurer and was told the same thing when I pushed for details. My personal broker also said the same thing when I asked for details about the rider on my policy for rental car coverage.

Fyi, for various reasons I reviewed this issue (48 day max) last fall. Nothing had changed. Perhaps it only applies to Canadian cards?

Mia, thanks for clarifying the 42 days applies to a US card. How rare for the Canadian card to have a seemingly better benefit.

Last edited by Bartolo; Apr 1, 2024 at 10:34 am
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are renting in Denmark. I prefer to use AmEx with the extra-fee premium rental coverage because that’s the card that provides my Hertz Platinum and Avis President’s Club status. I don’t see anything in the terms of the premium protection that indicates a gap is required between contracts. Is this something that is stipulated anywhere?

Thank you!
It's probably best to call Amex Insurance Services to double-check. But if the full policy (not a summary) does not have an exclusion for back-to-back rentals, and if Amex charges your card a separate premium at the start of each consecutive rental, I think that Amex would be hard-pressed to deny coverage.

I understand that your Amex Platinum card provides you with elite status with Hertz and Avis, but there's no requirement to charge a particular rental to that card to enjoy those status benefits, is there? Of course, if Hertz' Amex Platinum CDP provides the best rate for a rental, that's a different consideration.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mia, thanks for clarifying the 42 days applies to a US card. How rare for the Canadian card to have a seemingly better benefit.
Bartolo , we're talking apples and oranges here. U.S.-issued Amex Platinum cards include free car-rental coverage for rentals not exceeding thirty days. But any U.S.-issued Amex card (including those with no annual fee) can enroll in the optional Amex Premium Car Rental Protection program. Enrolled cards are charged a flat fee (which can range from $14.95 to $24.95, depending on one's U.S. state of residence and amount of coverage desired) upon commencement of a rental, and such optional coverage extends to rentals not exceeding 42 days.

Information about this optional Amex insurance product can be found here:

https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do
SusanDK likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
It's probably best to call Amex Insurance Services to double-check. But if the full policy (not a summary) does not have an exclusion for back-to-back rentals, and if Amex charges your card a separate premium at the start of each consecutive rental, I think that Amex would be hard-pressed to deny coverage.

I understand that your Amex Platinum card provides you with elite status with Hertz and Avis, but there's no requirement to charge a particular rental to that card to enjoy those status benefits, is there? Of course, if Hertz' Amex Platinum CDP provides the best rate for a rental, that's a different consideration.
I've so far researched every bit of documentation I can find and do not see any exclusion referring to back-to-back rentals, although I still have not found the full policy which isn't even available online when going through the enrollment process (I just enrolled an additional card to my existing account to try to trigger it). There are exclusions mentioned in the summary documents and back-to-back is not one of them.

Throughout the sign-up process, some of the language is:

"I have read, understand and agree to the Summary of Terms and Conditions explained in this enrollment packet."

"Each time a vehicle is rented using one of your enrolled cards …"

I would hope that if back-to-back was an exclusion, it would be mentioned in the summary document since no other document is available to read online during enrollment. And all of the citations I could find refer to "each time a vehicle is rented" or "per vehicle rental."

I always do Pay Later on my rentals, so the premium insurance does not get charged until after I turn the car in. The CC number is attached to the contract, but until the charge hits at the end of the rental, the account isn't charged (it can be several days).

Thanks for your help. I do realize that to be 100% sure I need to call or find that full document.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've so far researched every bit of documentation I can find and do not see any exclusion referring to back-to-back rentals, although I still have not found the full policy.
Have you clicked on the blue "View Sample Description of Coverage" link which appears on the initial Amex Premium Rental Car Protection webpage?

Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:45 am

Yes, thank you. I've saved a copy. No mentioned of needing a gap between rentals. It is still referred to as a "sample" however, not to be definitive vs. the actual policy.

But please correct me if you think I'm wrong regarding no exclusions for back-to-back! I didn't read anything that would give me the impression they weren't covered since they are separate contract.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, thank you. I've saved a copy. No mentioned of needing a gap between rentals. It is still referred to as a "sample" however, not to be definitive vs. the actual policy.

But please correct me if you think I'm wrong regarding no exclusions for back-to-back! I didn't read anything that would give me the impression they weren't covered since they are separate contract.
I saw no such exclusions, either. If Amex did not provide you with the actual policy when you enrolled an additional card, I would call and request a copy.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
These last few posts have been very interesting.

Here's my recent story.

Rented a car from Alamo at PHX from 3/25 - 3/28. Dropped car at PHX at 11 am. Flew to LAS, rented a car from Alamo from 3 pm on 3/28 (same day) to 3/30. I have had only ONE Amex Insurance charge. So did that cover both rentals? Or did I not have coverage on one of them unbeknownst to me? Luckily I had no issues with either rental, but now I'm wondering. I've waited until now to post since I wanted to see if a second charge showed up, but it has not. The one charge was billed on 3/30.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

Here's my recent story.

Rented a car from Alamo at PHX from 3/25 - 3/28. Dropped car at PHX at 11 am. Flew to LAS, rented a car from Alamo from 3 pm on 3/28 (same day) to 3/30. I have had only ONE Amex Insurance charge. So did that cover both rentals? Or did I not have coverage on one of them unbeknownst to me? Luckily I had no issues with either rental, but now I'm wondering. I've waited until now to post since I wanted to see if a second charge showed up, but it has not. The one charge was billed on 3/30.
As like my as you were signed up for coverage during that period it would be covered regardless if they charged you for it or not. Unfortunately that happened to me and others numerous times. I don't worry about it anymore because I just use the primary coverage directly from the card.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

Here's my recent story.

Well, well, well....just got the 2nd Amex insurance charge today, 4 days after the rental, never took this long before. So I guess my experience is a separate charge for each separate rental? Even on the same day? But from different cities? Anyone know if that's the way it should be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.