Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 8:04 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Does anyone know if this AmEx Premium car insurance works with Turo? Or only from the big car rental agencies?
The answer is most likely no if Turo is connecting you with someone who owns a personal vehicle and is renting it out through the service as opposed to a company that issues you a rental contract, but you can draw your own conclusions from this blog post.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by berombeu
Thanks for the input. Hertz has some shady practices compare to other rental companies. Never had any problems with other rentals but first time I rented with Hertz and they tried to sneak in a charge to see if I noticed or not.
I solely use Enterprise. Never had any issues, so far. I started using them because of their pick up/drop off service. That's been discontinued due to covid but I still use them.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:12 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by berombeu
Thanks for the input. Hertz has some shady practices compare to other rental companies. Never had any problems with other rentals but first time I rented with Hertz and they tried to sneak in a charge to see if I noticed or not.
Not nearly as shady as getting someone else's receipt from a gas pump and claiming it was yours. My integrity and time are worth more than a few bucks of gas.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:36 pm

We have the american Express Premium Rental and it worked well in the past. When we used it 2 years ago, when we rented the car and the credit card company made the initial pending charge when we picked up the car, it charged us the $19.99.

However, this time it did not charge the $19.99 when the initial pending charge was made but only after the rental charges posted to the credit card which was 2 weeks after we returned the car. I honestly do not trust Amex when they say you are still covered if the charge posts afterwards since most rental car companies will allow you to switch the credit card that you are being billed to at the end so what is to stop anyone from using a different credit card and then if there is an accident switching the final billing onto the Amex?

To make matters worse, our rental was for 40 days and Avis splits any rental over 30 days into 2 contracts - one for the first 30 days and one for the additional days (I don't know if all rental companies do this). So when the charges posted we had 2 separate charges from Avis. Therefore, we ended up getting charged the $19.99 twice by Amex.

The only reason we took out the Premium coverage is because regular credit cards wouldn't cover more than 30 days but if the rental company is going to split up the charge anyways, then the Premium isn't doing anything for us because our regular credit card will cover the full 40 days since neither rental is more than 30 days if they are splitting it into 30 days and then the rest.

I will definitely be cancelling this before our next rental.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bbsearchlight
To make matters worse, our rental was for 40 days and Avis splits any rental over 30 days into 2 contracts - one for the first 30 days and one for the additional days (I don't know if all rental companies do this). So when the charges posted we had 2 separate charges from Avis. Therefore, we ended up getting charged the $19.99 twice by Amex.
Don't see how that's Amex's fault. In any event, $40 for 40 days premium coverage seems quite reasonable to me. The rental company would charge over $35/day for roughly equivalent protection. My personal car insurance costs over $10/day.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:01 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't see how that's Amex's fault. In any event, $40 for 40 days premium coverage seems quite reasonable to me. The rental company would charge over $35/day for roughly equivalent protection. My personal car insurance costs over $10/day.
It's certainly not Amex's fault, but I wonder if OP shows Amex the original reservation and it's for continuous 40 days vs. 30 + 10 days, would Amex drop the second charge? I have never rented any vehicle for more than 30 days, but is it the industry norm to split reservations over 30 days into 2 or more contracts?

LAX
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:35 pm

I'm a little confused reading amex policy it dosnt say explicitly it covers additional drivers if they drive but then says authorized drivers won't be covered if they do something illegal?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ijones027
I'm a little confused reading amex policy it dosnt say explicitly it covers additional drivers if they drive but then says authorized drivers won't be covered if they do something illegal?
The rental agreement will state who is/are authorized drivers. It would actually be confusing if insurance policy included terms that can potentially conflict with the rental agreement.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
The rental agreement will state who is/are authorized drivers. It would actually be confusing if insurance policy included terms that can potentially conflict with the rental agreement.
so in layman terms additional drivers on the contract are covered for cdw?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ijones027
so in layman terms additional drivers on the contract are covered for cdw?
Sure, if 2 people are listed as drivers, insurance will work the same way.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:21 pm

Sure, if 2 people are listed as drivers, insurance will work the same way.
Thanks
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
The agreement might neglect to mention authorized drivers per state law. California mandates that spouses are authorized rental car drivers. See https://blog.autoslash.com/all-about...l-driver-fees/
Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:27 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by dhuey
The agreement might neglect to mention authorized drivers per state law. California mandates that spouses are authorized rental car drivers. See https://blog.autoslash.com/all-about...l-driver-fees/
I believe the law requires spouses to be authorized rental car drivers, which is intended to prevent rental car companies from charging a fee. However, the spouse is required to be listed on the rental agreement to be legally authorized to drive. Is my understanding on this correct? In other words, I can't just pick up a rental car on my own and allow my spouse to drive it without informing the rental car company.

LAX
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LAX
I believe the law requires spouses to be authorized rental car drivers, which is intended to prevent rental car companies from charging a fee. However, the spouse is required to be listed on the rental agreement to be legally authorized to drive. Is my understanding on this correct? In other words, I can't just pick up a rental car on my own and allow my spouse to drive it without informing the rental car company.
It gets murky and IIRC, there's an argument the spouse is covered. But I would never let someone drive my rental if they weren't registered as an authorized driver. Just asking for trouble.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:37 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

In California, additional drivers are free, but to be safe, you must list them on the rental contract, which means any additional driver needs to be present at the rental counter at the outset of the rental and presenting a valid driver's license, or needs to be added at some point during the rental by going to the rental counter, although it does not necessarily need to be the original renting location.

According to California code spouses are automatically authorized drivers and do not need to listed separately on the rental contract.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.