Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:00 am

Anyone know how the Premium Car Rental Protection works with things like driving into a national park? Looking at Curacao specifically, and Christoffel national park. Rental car companies tend to invalidate CDW in the park, even if staying on paved roads.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:31 pm

Unrelated to my previous question - the Premium coverage should be valid for Hertz free day rentals, correct?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:59 am

Do you have to book the rental thru Amex website or have to use Amex card to book the rental to purchase this optional primary coverage? Can i book the car rental on any rental website?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Do you have to book the rental thru Amex website or have to use Amex card to book the rental to purchase this optional primary coverage? Can i book the car rental on any rental website?
https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
How to Activate Coverage

Coverage is activated when the Cardmember
uses an Enrolled Card to pay the rental fee for
the Rental Car and the Cardmember signs the
rental agreement for that Rental Car.

Coverage will not be activated if an American
Express Card that has been used to pay a rental
fee for the Rental Car is enrolled in the Plan after
the Cardmember or Authorized Driver Boards the
Rental Car for the first time. Coverage also will
not be activated if an Enrolled Card has not been
used to pay the rental fee, but is subsequently
used to pay for Damage to the Rental Car.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:58 pm

How does this work? For example, book rental on any car rental website OR Autoslash, etc and pay the entire rental fee with any Amex issued Amex credit card, then go here https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do and use the same Amex card to purchase the PREMIUM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION ? That way I now have primary collision coverage on that rental vehicle?

Also, what if I book rental on United website and book the rental fee with United miles entirely or book with (miles & money) pay most with miles and $1 with Amex card? And then buy the PREMIUM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION with the same card to get the collision coverage?

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
How does this work? For example, book rental on any car rental website OR Autoslash, etc and pay the entire rental fee with any Amex issued Amex credit card, then go here https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do and use the same Amex card to purchase the PREMIUM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION ? That way I now have primary collision coverage on that rental vehicle?

Also, what if I book rental on United website and book the rental fee with United miles entirely or book with (miles & money) pay most with miles and $1 with Amex card? And then buy the PREMIUM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION with the same card to get the collision coverage?

Thanks
Received the promotion years ago as do quite a bit of vehicle rentals....

Unless things have changed you go to the above link and enroll your Amex card/account. There after coverage is automatically triggered each time you use said Amex card for a qualifying rental. That is once you've made the reservation/collected the vehicle coverage begins soon as rental company processes paperwork and gives you the keys.

One glitch is if you use third party websites like AutoSlash, Hotwire, or whatever. Amex *may* not recognize the charge as a rental the way it would from Hertz, Alamo, National, Enterprise or whoever. In such instances it is best to contact customer service after you've made the reservation and collected the vehicle. Once the paperwork is done via car rental place they would have placed a hold on card which gives Amex CSR something to work with.

Some car rental places place a hold 24 hours or so before reservation is due to begin; so you can always check that way as well if you've used a third party service to make the car booking.

Thing to remember is once you've enrolled in this Amex PCR scheme it is just that, *automatic*. If for any reason you decide don't want a particular rental covered you'd have to find a way to deactivate before rental begins.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:55 pm

Premium Rental Insurance

Hi,

Rented a car through an airline, charge on the card is showing as BA... will the premium car insurance still work if I present the card when picking up the vehicle?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Yes. You will need to change the credit card to AmEx prior to picking up the car. Easily done at the counter.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by herzmeh
Hi,

Rented a car through an airline, charge on the card is showing as BA... will the premium car insurance still work if I present the card when picking up the vehicle?
Call up Amex and let them know the BA charge was for a car rental so that Amex can manually charge the premium car rental protection fee before you pick up the vehicle.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Call up Amex and let them know the BA charge was for a car rental so that Amex can manually charge the premium car rental protection fee before you pick up the vehicle.
I tried three times, once by email and twice by phone... got the same answer each time. "You'll get charged when you pick up the car." "But the charge won't be directly from a rental car agency, will it trigger? Can you charge manually?" "Your insurance will kick in when you pick up the car." and so on.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:24 am
mia

Originally Posted by herzmeh
.... "You'll get charged when you pick up the car." "But the charge won't be directly from a rental car agency,....
When you pickup the car you will be asked for a credit card, and the rental agency will submit a pending transaction to act as a type of security deposit in the event of damage. That may trigger the coverage.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mia
When you pickup the car you will be asked for a credit card, and the rental agency will submit a pending transaction to act as a type of security deposit in the event of damage. That may trigger the coverage.
Or it may not trigger the coverage?

In previous rentals for me, pending transactions didn’t seem to trigger any coverage charge by Amex. Even after the rental was completed using the card to prepay for a rental car as part of a travel package or otherwise prepaid via an airline/travel agency, I wasn’t charged the Amex premium car insurance charge. It didn’t matter to me those times, but that wouldn’t necessarily always be the case.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Or it may not trigger the coverage?

In previous rentals for me, pending transactions didn’t seem to trigger any coverage charge by Amex. Even after the rental was completed using the card to prepay for a rental car as part of a travel package or otherwise prepaid via an airline/travel agency, I wasn’t charged the Amex premium car insurance charge. It didn’t matter to me those times, but that wouldn’t necessarily always be the case.
This is what I'm afraid of. I'll try to make another attempt on a recorded line (NY is one-party consent state) and see how that goes.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:58 pm
mia

Moderator action

Question about standard Business Platinum CDW vs Sapphire Reserve CDW has been moved:

AmEx CDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.