Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:42 am

I also just got this notification, so weird.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:17 pm

AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection for Prepaid Rental

I've used Premium Car Rental Protection several times in several countries, all of them are "pay upon rental", therefore when I got charged at the counter (hertz, budget, etc.), the flat fee of $19.95 will kick in after that automatically.

I have a trip coming up in Japan and reserved a prepaid rental for the first time (as it's cheaper to pay in advance) via Rentalcars. The charge posted in late June (showed as Rentalcars.com) and the flat fee never showed up in my statement (the card is enrolled several years ago).
Reading through past threads, I wonder should I call them ahead of time to have them manually charge it, or, should I wait and maybe the fee will kick in when they pre-auth my card for incidentals (at the car rental counter) ?

Appreciate if anyone could help!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Amex,AS,DL,Marriott,Hilton
Originally Posted by xcollon
I've used Premium Car Rental Protection several times in several countries, all of them are "pay upon rental", therefore when I got charged at the counter (hertz, budget, etc.), the flat fee of $19.95 will kick in after that automatically.

I have a trip coming up in Japan and reserved a prepaid rental for the first time (as it's cheaper to pay in advance) via Rentalcars. The charge posted in late June (showed as Rentalcars.com) and the flat fee never showed up in my statement (the card is enrolled several years ago).
Reading through past threads, I wonder should I call them ahead of time to have them manually charge it, or, should I wait and maybe the fee will kick in when they pre-auth my card for incidentals (at the car rental counter) ?

Appreciate if anyone could help!
​​​​​​I have called Amex to manually add it for a priceline bid. Hope this information helps
xcollon likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Other cards that cover CDW specifically state you must decline CDW in order to be eligible.

Does Amex Premium also require this? I know it seems silly, but I'm wondering if I kept the basic insurance with the car rental company, would my Amex Premium insurance still work and cover the deductible the basic car rental insurance does not?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Other cards that cover CDW specifically state you must decline CDW in order to be eligible.

Does Amex Premium also require this? I know it seems silly, but I'm wondering if I kept the basic insurance with the car rental company, would my Amex Premium insurance still work and cover the deductible the basic car rental insurance does not?
Within the applicable limits, Amex Premium would cover the actual claim and act as primary. Not sure why you would want it to only cover a deductible when you're paying for a much more comprehensive coverage.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by gooselee
Within the applicable limits, Amex Premium would cover the actual claim and act as primary. Not sure why you would want it to only cover a deductible when you're paying for a much more comprehensive coverage.
Thanks. I spoke with Amex CS and they said it does apply even if I accept basic CDW from the car rental company. They said in that case, it will act as GAP insurance and cover what the basic coverage won't (such as the deductible).

To your point, I do not want to accept any insurance from the car rental company. But I have an upcoming Europcar rental and the phone agents are unable to remove the insurance from the reservation. They think the office will be able to remove it when I show up - but wanted to understand what happens if they cannot or will not.
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CloveLeaf
​​​​​​I have called Amex to manually add it for a priceline bid. Hope this information helps
Did the same for a Hotwire car rental booking, and also did it for some travel package bookings. The Amex reps manually posted the charge for the insurance on affiliation with the bookings made to pay for the rental cars.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:28 pm

premium car insurance email

anyone know why amex is sending out the email telling us that we have to enroll each new card in premium card insurance if we want to use it? my cards used to automaitcally enrolled. why the change? annoying.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
My money's on "someone sued us"
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I'm getting tired of all these messages.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:06 pm

It's actually expecting a lot for people to remember to re-enroll when the get a replacement card several years down the line. Most will not remember.

I'm considering switching to my CSR for rental cars since primary insurance is included for no additional fee.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:58 pm

@DrForce, exactly... this is what i don;t understand... there is no way i'm going to remember when all my employees get new cards and i'm supposed to reenroll them. ridiculous .
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:18 pm

Thanks for the info.

I actually called later and the representative told me it's fine and the fee will kick in once the rental car counter pre-auth my card.
I guess I will call again before my trip to see if they can manually add it.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:49 am

Amex Perks

While the car insurance is secondary, the only reason to keep the card is for the assurance benefit.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by THETRAVELGUY1
...only reason to keep the card is for the assurance benefit.
Welcome to Flyertalk. It would be useful if you mention the specific card you have in mind, and tell us what you mean by "assurance benefit".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.