Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by atsak
Speaking personally, all I read are horror stories about damage to premium cars and the insurance companies making headaches. Despite the cost I'd be inclined to go for the rental company insurance program. It's 100% no issue then, though it's usually quite expensive. I can't answer your direct question though about the AMEX premium car protection; I know the regular AMEX doesn't cover them so I'm assuming it's some kind of supplementary insurance. I can tell you AMEX was good to a couple people I knew who had damage on a regular car when a claim was filed, but that's also AMEX in Canada for reference.
The "premium" in Amex Premium car insurance refers to the insurance, not to the type of car rented.

Most credit cards that provide free "secondary" car-rental coverage actually provide "primary" coverage outside the U.S. -- either by the express terms of the coverage, or because most U.S. residents do not have any insurance that would apply to cars rented outside the U.S. and Canada. So I'm not sure how much benefit there is to enrolling in the Amex Premium car insurance program, unless one is renting a type of vehicle not covered by the free insurance many cards offer.

Beware, though, that even cards that ostensibly cover "loss of use" typically require the rental company's "fleet-utilization" logs to establish lost income. If the car-rental company refuses to provide those logs, the insurer might not pay out on the loss-of-use aspect of the claim.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by guv1976
The "premium" in Amex Premium car insurance refers to the insurance, not to the type of car rented.
Ahh - sorry - I was thinking of the class of car, because almost all CC's in Canada have primary coverage, and our insurers will often (with a small additional fee) cover you worldwide anyway. I forgot US cards are different that way.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:54 pm

Can someone confirm exactly much time can pass between being notified of a claim related to a rental car and filing a claim with AmEx?

I'm guessing it's 30 days, but I can't find anything specific in AmEx's terms for this product.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Notification of Loss
The initial notification of a loss must be reported
to the Company as soon as reasonably possible
following a loss.
To report a loss, call [(800) 338-
1670, or the number on the back of your Enrolled
Card].

Proof of Loss
If required, a claim form will be sent to the
Covered Person after the Company receives
notice of loss. Written proof of loss, which
includes the signed claim form and all other
requested documentation, must be received
within 60 days following the date of the Damage
or Theft.
The proof of loss must be sent to:
[Premium Car Rental Protection Claims Unit, PO
Box, 94729, Cleveland, Ohio 44101-4729]. If the
required proof of loss and other documentation is
not received within 60 days of the date of loss
(except for documentation which has not been
furnished for reasons beyond the Covered
Persons’ control), coverage may be denied. It is
the claimant’s responsibility to provide all
required documentation.
https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:33 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Does anyone know whether there is any currently active promotion for enrolling a card into the program? TIA.

LAX
Old May 11, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
I have booked a car rental through holiday autos (significantly cheaper than Europcar, for the exact same car). I paid most of the car rental right now, but have to pay some at the counter. I am assuming that when I pay at the counter, the insurance will be triggered on my AMEX card, is that correct? I know that it may seem redundant, but Chase makes it a little easier when you just book things and then you are covered, and you know you are!
Old May 18, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
If you use rental car company points, there is no coverage. If you use Amex Membership Rewards points, there is coverage.
Is this still true? Hypothetically, if I use Hertz points for a week's award rental, but then pay for an extra day as well as taxes/fees, Premium coverage is still voided due to points redemption on the first 7 days?
Old May 18, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by UKGrad
Is this still true? Hypothetically, if I use Hertz points for a week's award rental, but then pay for an extra day as well as taxes/fees, Premium coverage is still voided due to points redemption on the first 7 days?
I was not speaking about premium coverage, just the standard.
Old May 19, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
I was not speaking about premium coverage, just the standard.
My mistake, I misunderstood the post(s). Thanks for clearing that up.

After speaking with a rep: on premium coverage at least, any partial payment as long as it's on the Amex card falls under protection. So using car rental company's points seems to be okay because taxes are charged to the card.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by UKGrad
My mistake, I misunderstood the post(s). Thanks for clearing that up.

After speaking with a rep: on premium coverage at least, any partial payment as long as it's on the Amex card falls under protection. So using car rental company's points seems to be okay because taxes are charged to the card.
This is actually a huge deal if correct - I find I always balk at using Hertz points (for example) because I want to get some protection from my cards (CSP/Chase Ink - primary coverage) so I end up paying the full cost.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:47 am

I am the card member, but the rental car is reserved in my husband's name as primary driver. Does anyone know if the rental will be covered?
Also, I can get a 20% discount for prepaying - I hope the coverage will begin once the car is picked up?
Thanks!!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by taylorcpa
I am the card member, but the rental car is reserved in my husband's name as primary driver. Does anyone know if the rental will be covered?
Also, I can get a 20% discount for prepaying - I hope the coverage will begin once the car is picked up?
Thanks!!
read the detailed terms, they are on amex's website, and explain how coverage is activated and what exclusions there are.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Does Amex still offer this coverage? I recently got the PRG card and went to enroll my card for this benefit for an upcoming trip but I dont see any option to do so nor is there any content explaining the Premium Coverage option. It's as if it never existed. I do see the the regular secondary rental coverage under Benefits.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Try here:

https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do

-OR- To Enroll: 1-866-518-0259
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I recently got letters in the mail for all of my Amex cards indicating that I had to re-opt-in to Prem Car Rental Protection if I got a "new or replacement card account" after a certain date.

What the heck is a "replacement card account" - does this mean I need to opt back in if I lose my card and replace it, or when my card expires and I get a new one? Neither one of those events results in a new account (or even card number), but I can't figure out what a "replacement account" is?

It's a moot point at the end of the day as I now put car rentals on my CSR, but a) just curious and b) perhaps a heads up to other who regularly use this insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.