Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
That is overly broad.

If you use a third-weekend-day free coupon on a rental, and pay for the first two days, Amex should cover you. But if all days of your rental are paid with free-day coupons, then I would expect you to be out of luck. And if you use rental-car-company "points" rather than coupons, it sounds like you'd be out of luck too, unless the points somehow get converted to a coupon first.
If you use rental car company points, there is no coverage. If you use Amex Membership Rewards points, there is coverage.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:23 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Had the first car accident in my life and it was in a rental with the Amex Premium Protection. They really look for any way to weasel out of covering you, they won’t cover any admin or appraisal fees, and won’t cover any damage to any other car. Medical coverage is limited and required 10x the documentation, so I didn’t even bother. Took months of back and forth and lots of documentation. 5 months later they finally covered the total loss to the vehicle. Not sure I’d trust it again, better to just buy the car rental agency’s insurance and be done with it IMO. I’m a Centurion cardholder, no extra benefits for this though, really disappointed in Amex for years now. Moving almost all my spend to Chase cards.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by b8b
... won’t cover any damage to any other car. ...
This is accurate and it's also true for the coverage provided by every card issuer in the USA. Injury to other people, or damage to their property, including their car, is covered by Liability insurance, and never by a Collision Damage Waiver. You are complaining because the product does not do something that it is not intended to do, and American Express explicitly tell you this in advance.

Liability coverage is not included. 3. Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist, or Disability are also not included.
https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by mia
This is accurate and it's also true for the coverage provided by every card issuer in the USA. Injury to other people, or damage to their property, including their car, is covered by Liability insurance, and never by a Collision Damage Waiver. You are complaining because the product does not do something that it is not intended to do, and American Express explicitly tell you this in advance.

https://feeservices.americanexpress....verage/home.do
He is also stating valuable information that it took them FIVE months to cover the damage to the rental vehicle itself.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mysterym
He is also stating valuable information that it took them FIVE months to cover the damage to the rental vehicle itself.
I'd be interested to learn how long Amex took to pay the claim after b8b submitted all required documentation.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:50 am

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
I’m concerned because it seems that the $19.95 isn’t charged until the rental company charges the card. It’s been two days now and it appears the company isn’t going to actually charge my card until the conclusion of the five-day rental. I’ve backed into something and created some bumper damage and wish I had already been charged the $19.95 so I can be assured of coverage. I called Amex assurance after the first day and they said it usually takes a day or two.

Further, I am returning the car outside of business hours and am concerned about how to best handle this.
In other words, do I need to wait until the Premium has been charged to report the damage to Amex?

Last edited by mia; Dec 30, 2017 at 9:30 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by BostonGuy
I’m concerned because it seems that the $19.95 isn’t charged until the rental company charges the card. It’s been two days now and it appears the company isn’t going to actually charge my card until the conclusion of the five-day rental. I’ve backed into something and created some bumper damage and wish I had already been charged the $19.95 so I can be assured of coverage. I called Amex assurance after the first day and they said it usually takes a day or two.

Further, I am returning the car outside of business hours and am concerned about how to best handle this.
Its how it works. Complete the rental. I'd get a receipt if you can. I.e. turn in during business hours. How much bumper damage? Just some scratches? In some cities, they do not care (i.e. NYC). Report to Amex after the charge hits your card/the rental company lets you know there is damage you are liable for.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I understand. But car rental in Ireland can be a dicey business as reflected in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ghlight=rental. The chance of damage to a rental car in Ireland is high because of the old streets and roads--much higher than in Northern Ireland and Scotland, for instance, where I've driven extensively without problems. In addition, dealing with rental car agents at the Dublin airport calls to mind Obi-Wan Kenobi's description of Mos Eisley. And I've dealt with some pretty dicey agents in plenty of tourist trap airports.

The chances are decent that a rental car agent at Dublin would not necessarily accept the written representation that the regular AMEX Plat coverage is primary for Ireland. As the cited thread shows, it's imperative to have confirmation in writing of the primary coverage afforded by your CC company. I've had uniformly excellent experiences with the add-on Plat coverage--most recently two years ago when another driver rear-ended my rental vehicle in Napa; once I provided sufficient information over the phone to the AMEX CSR, I never heard from them again other than to receive confirmation that the claim was cleared.

Since I don't have that level of confidence in other CC insurance handling, I've been using an agency that rents Hertz vehicles with complete super cover included at a price lower than Hertz charges. I've returned vehicles with damage with only a few minutes spending completing paperwork regarding the damage but with assurances that since I'd purchased the super cover, "everything will be taken care of." And it was, just like my AMEX experiences. Using another coverage, whether the regular Plat or the add-on, could easily result in a savings of a couple of hundred dollars per rental.

I'm willing to pay $24.95 for the extra piece of mind for the AMEX add-on coverage because I think it's easy to prove the primary coverage. I really don't want to argue with an agent at the beginning of my rental period, fresh off a TATL flight and a bit groggy, that the AMEX Plat included coverage is unquestionably primary now in Ireland.
I think there is a misunderstanding of the market in Ireland (and UK) in that rentals all have mandatory CDW, third party and theft coverage already included as its a legal requirements. You cannot waive these insurances, they are typically included in the quoted price and not "added" at the counter. Its not possible to use outside insurance as "primary" in the same way as the US. The only thing you are liable for is the excess / deductible of the already included insurance which is generally not more than 2000euro. The AMEX insurance is to reimburse your liability for the deductible and nothing more.

I do agree that Ireland (and Germany) has a very high incidence of rental accidents, and you should ensure EVERY scratch is documented before accepting the vehicle. I can see why you might want to take the super add-on for peace of mind in these countries.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by smala01
I think there is a misunderstanding of the market in Ireland (and UK) in that rentals all have mandatory CDW, third party and theft coverage already included as its a legal requirements. You cannot waive these insurances, they are typically included in the quoted price and not "added" at the counter. Its not possible to use outside insurance as "primary" in the same way as the US. The only thing you are liable for is the excess / deductible of the already included insurance which is generally not more than 2000euro. The AMEX insurance is to reimburse your liability for the deductible and nothing more.

I do agree that Ireland (and Germany) has a very high incidence of rental accidents, and you should ensure EVERY scratch is documented before accepting the vehicle. I can see why you might want to take the super add-on for peace of mind in these countries.
Correct, but the super cover add-on tends to be two to three times the base cost of a rental, including the coverages you mentioned, in Ireland--thus, the interest in trying to eliminate that by using a credit card with primary coverage.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Ireland rental - AMEX as "primary"

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Correct, but the super cover add-on tends to be two to three times the base cost of a rental, including the coverages you mentioned, in Ireland--thus, the interest in trying to eliminate that by using a credit card with primary coverage.
I rented from Hertz, DUB, on Oct. 31. I was prepared with a printout of the new AMEX coverage (for Ireland) effective in Sept. I declined the "super" coverage - no problem with the agent (didn't ask for contract) about that. He was mainly concerned that I knew I was taking a vehicle with a manual transmission. He gave me a larger vehicle than I wanted; said I'd asked for it. Not so. Anyway, driving an SUV in Ireland, except on motorways, is not easy.

I made the mistake of not checking where to return the vehicle - not obvious, not easy to find return lot AT ALL. I was surprised at a number of extra fees that were NOT in my original quote - total a lot more than I expected (but that's on Hertz, not AMEX).

Back to AMEX - I have the premium coverage, but it's not valid in Ireland. Nevertheless I was charged it for the Ireland rental (somebody needs to fix their software), so I had to call and have it reversed. (The online way to do this did NOT work - another issue with AMEX software.)
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
American Express Premium Car Rental protection?

I want to rent a car for a few days in Iceland. I was trying to find out if AMEX premium car protection program would be a good idea. My insurance agent said to look for something that is loss of rental income that the car rental place would charge if you did damage the car. Any car rental experts out there? I have a few other cards I could use. Just trying to travel economically. Thank you.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Speaking personally, all I read are horror stories about damage to premium cars and the insurance companies making headaches. Despite the cost I'd be inclined to go for the rental company insurance program. It's 100% no issue then, though it's usually quite expensive. I can't answer your direct question though about the AMEX premium car protection; I know the regular AMEX doesn't cover them so I'm assuming it's some kind of supplementary insurance. I can tell you AMEX was good to a couple people I knew who had damage on a regular car when a claim was filed, but that's also AMEX in Canada for reference.
mphall likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
I did some research and found that my Southwest card covers loss of use in its cardmember benefits. I might just go with them. Thanks very much. American Express was very good to us when someone ran us to in Yorkshire.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mphall
... Southwest card....
Does this card impose a foreign transaction fee? Do you have any cards which do not?

Last edited by mia; Mar 21, 2018 at 11:30 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Today I was given an Enterprise that is direct-billed by the collision shop I'm using. I was asked for a card for a $50 incidentals hold, and I pulled my Amex. In hindsight, since I'm not paying for the rental I don't think I'd qualify for the coverage. I wouldn't mind confirmation on that, but also, as a result, does anyone know if I'll be charged the $20 if an Enterprise bill is never cleared?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.