Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by hytekjosh
When I looked years ago I don't think it was $1mm coverage but was slightly better than state minimums - I could be wrong though. Usually non-owned auto and an umbrella are better than having to pay a rental agency every time and covers you when you are driving other people's vehicles that aren't rentals. If you rent/drive infrequently then the per use may be more cost effective but non-owners policies can be a mere $200-ish per year.
Sounds like the previous poster (SusanDK) lives abroad. Likely need a US permanent address to have non-auto owners policy. I have one - it is about $40 per month. Great way to go if you don't own a car.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Sounds like the previous poster (SusanDK) lives abroad. Likely need a US permanent address to have non-auto owners policy. I have one - it is about $40 per month. Great way to go if you don't own a car.
I own a second home in the U.S., so the permanent U.S. address is no problem. We just don't own a car in the U.S. for the time being, so always rent when we are visiting our second home.

TravelinSperry, who do you recommend for the non-auto owners policy? I've also been trying to get an umbrella personal liability policy and have run into brick walls because either (1) we don't have U.S. auto insurance, or (2) although we have condo insurance, they will only increase our liability related specifically to incidences at the condo and not in general since we also partly live abroad (even though I've said I only need the coverage for occurrences in the U.S.).
Old May 18, 2016, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK

who do you recommend for the non-auto owners policy? I've also been trying to get an umbrella personal liability policy and have run into brick walls because either (1) we don't have U.S. auto insurance, or (2) although we have condo insurance, they will only increase our liability related specifically to incidences at the condo and not in general since we also partly live abroad (even though I've said I only need the coverage for occurrences in the U.S.).
you need underlying (non-owned) auto for umbrella. if you have condo insurance, check with your current provider for a non-owned policy. most major insurance companies offer it and the best coverage/price will be dependent on your individual situation. A lot of people like Travelers though..
Old May 18, 2016, 11:49 am

Thanks. I have tried my condo insurance agent and they insist that the only umbrella liability they can provide me will cover incidences actually occurring at the condo (e.g. someone falls in our home) and nothing more, and they claim this is because I have a home abroad. Even when I tried to explain to them that I'm not looking for coverage for incidences outside of the U.S. but only within the U.S., but I want all intra-U.S. occurrences covered, not just if something happens at our home.

The reason I had actually contacted my existing agent was because I'd read about Travelers and they are listed as a Travelers agent. Sounds like I need to try to push them once more or change agents.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks. I have tried my condo insurance agent and they insist that the only umbrella liability they can provide me will cover incidences actually occurring at the condo (e.g. someone falls in our home) and nothing more, and they claim this is because I have a home abroad. Even when I tried to explain to them that I'm not looking for coverage for incidences outside of the U.S. but only within the U.S., but I want all intra-U.S. occurrences covered, not just if something happens at our home.

The reason I had actually contacted my existing agent was because I'd read about Travelers and they are listed as a Travelers agent. Sounds like I need to try to push them once more or change agents.
I know nothing about umbrella policies, but I have a non-owned policy with Travelers, and I am very happy with it.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I own a second home in the U.S., so the permanent U.S. address is no problem. We just don't own a car in the U.S. for the time being, so always rent when we are visiting our second home.

TravelinSperry, who do you recommend for the non-auto owners policy? I've also been trying to get an umbrella personal liability policy and have run into brick walls because either (1) we don't have U.S. auto insurance, or (2) although we have condo insurance, they will only increase our liability related specifically to incidences at the condo and not in general since we also partly live abroad (even though I've said I only need the coverage for occurrences in the U.S.).

I use USAA for my non-auto policy. It requires eligibility which you may not have. I too looked into an umbrella policy although currently don't have one. I don't see why you need to discuss your second home with whomever you write the Umbrella with since they won't cover it anyway and you understand that.

As for non-auto a variety of companies write such a policy, although I had to speak slowly and have patience when explaining to people what I sought. Some reps weren't aware their companies write them.

I would try GEICO or possibly AAA for non-auto if I didn't have USAA.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... I don't see why you need to discuss your second home with whomever you write the Umbrella....
I believe the home is Denmark is the primary residence and the home in Orlando is the second/vacation/holiday home. It would be imprudent to mislead the insurer to think that the second home is the primary residence.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:18 pm

I use USAA for my non-auto policy. It requires eligibility which you may not have. I too looked into an umbrella policy although currently don't have one. I don't see why you need to discuss your second home with whomever you write the Umbrella with since they won't cover it anyway and you understand that.

As for non-auto a variety of companies write such a policy, although I had to speak slowly and have patience when explaining to people what I sought. Some reps weren't aware their companies write them.

I would try GEICO or possibly AAA for non-auto if I didn't have USAA.

Originally Posted by mia
I believe the home is Denmark is the primary residence and the home in Orlando is the second/vacation/holiday home. It would be imprudent to mislead the insurer to think that the second home is the primary residence.
mia is correct, and my agent for the condo insurance already knows we have a primary residence in Denmark because we had to disclose that we are not at the Florida home full-time for appropriate coverage.

I had contacted Geico and received a 'no' for umbrella since we have no auto insurance with them but perhaps I went about it wrong as I wasn't asking for non-owned auto at the time, only personal liability umbrella.

I will try again with both Travelers and Geico and ask for non-owned auto plus umbrella.

Thanks for the recommendations and advice.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Quick question, does the protection still applies if I have used AAA rate to make the reservation?
Old May 31, 2016, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mediator
Quick question, does the protection still applies if I have used AAA rate to make the reservation?
Certainly.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Re-register New Card?

Hi all,

I didn't find any reference to this issue anywhere else... Does enrollment extend to all cards on your account, or just the one(s) you had upon signing up? (I don't recall now if I had to select a card when I enrolled.)

I had a Blue Cash Preferred with Premium Rental Coverage, which I closed after signing up for a Premier Rewards Gold. I got a letter in the mail indicating my coverage was suspended since the card was canceled, but when I went online to enroll, it said I already had it.

Anyone else experienced this?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:26 pm

Guys,

Need your expert suggestions. I rented a car in Montana with Alamo and unfortunately hit the car to a tree and the front bumper was completely damaged. I had amex premium car rental protection so filed a claim with them. Now rental company is asking for total of 8000 $ including repair cost and out of which 3000 is diminished value. I just read Amex terms and conditions they wont cover Diminished value .. I am not sure what to do now.. can I file a claim with my own insurance carrier (geico) will they cover this ? please advise am really worried.

Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In the sample Description of Coverage it states that Benefits will not be paid under this Plan for any of the following...5. diminishment of value, unless required by law; Do you know what the law is in Montana?

I would wait to see what American Express' insurer does pay, and if Alamo then demands further payment from you.

If you have a good relationship with your personal insurance agent you could discuss it now, but be careful because some companies with charge the accident against your rating history even if they pay nothing.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by strickerj
Hi all,

I didn't find any reference to this issue anywhere else... Does enrollment extend to all cards on your account, or just the one(s) you had upon signing up? (I don't recall now if I had to select a card when I enrolled.)

I had a Blue Cash Preferred with Premium Rental Coverage, which I closed after signing up for a Premier Rewards Gold. I got a letter in the mail indicating my coverage was suspended since the card was canceled, but when I went online to enroll, it said I already had it.

Anyone else experienced this?
To update, I removed my Blue Cash Preferred card from my online account since I had forgotten to do so, and then I was able to re-enroll in PCRP. But I wasn't able to select a card to enroll - does that mean both of the cards tied to my online account (PRG and Everyday) are enrolled? If not, how do I tell which one it is?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
In the sample Description of Coverage it states that Benefits will not be paid under this Plan for any of the following...5. diminishment of value, unless required by law; Do you know what the law is in Montana?

I would wait to see what American Express' insurer does pay, and if Alamo then demands further payment from you.

If you have a good relationship with your personal insurance agent you could discuss it now, but be careful because some companies with charge the accident against your rating history even if they pay nothing.
Wow. I didn't know this was even a thing - let a long it isn't covered by Amex Insurance. Why would Hertz care to break out the damages like that? Why not just say it's $8,000 total for damages so you can get your insurance to cover it?
Either way Hertz gets their money.

Does any cc insurance cover diminished value? Visa, MC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.