Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread discusses American Express PREMIUM Car Rental Protection. This is an extra cost service that is offered only to cardholders residing in the USA. This is not the same as the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) that is a standard benefit of many American Express cards.

Premium Car Rental Protection website: https://feeservices.americanexpress....erage/home.do A chart comparing Premium to the standard CDW benefit is at the bottom of that page.

Premium Car Rental Protection offers Primary coverage. Primary means only that the insurer pays first when there is a covered claim. It does not imply that the coverage is superior. The standard CDW provided with USA issued American Express cards provides Secondary coverage if the cardholder has other collectible automobile insurance. If you do not have an automobile insurance policy, or if your policy does not cover rental cars in the area where you are traveling, the standard CDW Waiver becomes Primary.

Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) Premium Car Rental Protection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I've been up and down this thread, including posts 76-82, and I still can't figure out what to do with an upcoming "free" rental with National. There are a few excise fees and such that ensure that the rental is taking my Amex Plat card, at least on booking.

But no one seems to be sure whether this triggers coverage.

So what are the alternatives here? Disable coverage and buy directly from National? Disable coverage and use other primary card coverage for the pennies and hope that works (Chase Ritz-Carlton, in my case)?
Pay CDW. If you have a car insurance policy that should cover LDW.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by hytekjosh
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I've been up and down this thread, including posts 76-82, and I still can't figure out what to do with an upcoming "free" rental with National. There are a few excise fees and such that ensure that the rental is taking my Amex Plat card, at least on booking.

But no one seems to be sure whether this triggers coverage.

So what are the alternatives here? Disable coverage and buy directly from National? Disable coverage and use other primary card coverage for the pennies and hope that works (Chase Ritz-Carlton, in my case)?
Pay CDW. If you have a car insurance policy that should cover LDW.

Are you saying there's a difference between CDW and LDW?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:32 pm

Did anyone get a letter stating that the fee for the 100k rental protection has been reduced to $15.25 per rental?

Is this decrease representative of that exact same coverage, just a change in pricing?

I was under the assumption(I could be wrong) that the $24.95 was for a 30 day period of rental protection. This letter seems to state that it will now be $15.25 per rental

Costs usually don't go down in favor of the consumer, so i'm a bit suspicious.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by schwaa
Did anyone get a letter stating that the fee for the 100k rental protection has been reduced to $15.25 per rental?

Is this decrease representative of that exact same coverage, just a change in pricing?

I was under the assumption(I could be wrong) that the $24.95 was for a 30 day period of rental protection. This letter seems to state that it will now be $15.25 per rental

Costs usually don't go down in favor of the consumer, so i'm a bit suspicious.

Any ideas?
You can see your rate here: https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...verage/home.do

In California it is $17.95 for $100k in coverage and $15.95 for $75k.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:34 pm

I used my AMEX Plat for this service a few months ago and would like to do it again. Do I need to register my card again?
If the service applies automatically, how do I disenroll?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I used my AMEX Plat for this service a few months ago and would like to do it again. Do I need to register my card again?
If the service applies automatically, how do I disenroll?
No need to register again. Disenroll by calling the AMEX rental insurance number.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:29 pm

Info is on their site so don't overlook it as a resource.
https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...verage/home.do
You may cancel enrollment at any time by calling us.
Old May 16, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Question about procedure. I'm a driver in NYC with no car and such, no insurance. I use the AMEX premium car rental protection whenever I rent with National, which invokes the $25 fee.

I had a rental last week where an incident that clearly wasn't my fault occurred - a rock dinged the windshield as I was driving on the highway and left a tiny crack in the windshield. I was dropping the car off later that day and did it as expected, reporting the crack at that time. I received a letter today asking for a report with scary language that I would be responsible for all costs with seven days. It included requesting my insurance information.

How do I handle this? Do I report the incident to AMEX first? Or do I fill out the form, wait to hear back from National, and then report to AMEX if there's any payment due?
Old May 16, 2016, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
Question about procedure. I'm a driver in NYC with no car and such, no insurance. I use the AMEX premium car rental protection whenever I rent with National, which invokes the $25 fee.

I had a rental last week where an incident that clearly wasn't my fault occurred - a rock dinged the windshield as I was driving on the highway and left a tiny crack in the windshield. I was dropping the car off later that day and did it as expected, reporting the crack at that time. I received a letter today asking for a report with scary language that I would be responsible for all costs with seven days. It included requesting my insurance information.

How do I handle this? Do I report the incident to AMEX first? Or do I fill out the form, wait to hear back from National, and then report to AMEX if there's any payment due?
I don't think you need to use the premium insurance if you don't have underlying insurance unless you want the higher limits - Amex becomes default with the normal level. Pretty standard for car rental companies to charge for broken windows and flat tires IIRC. Submit the claim to Amex.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveholt

Yes, you should report it to AMEX. But if you do not own a car, what do you do for *liability* insurance, in case you hit someone, or damage another car?
Old May 17, 2016, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Yes, you should report it to AMEX. But if you do not own a car, what do you do for *liability* insurance, in case you hit someone, or damage another car?
That is a good reminder to folks...I used to pay for the rental agency's liability policy which is usually called CDL and different from CDW. Their limits kinda stink. Non-owned auto is the way to go.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:52 am

That is a good reminder to folks...I used to pay for the rental agency's liability policy which is usually called CDL and different from CDW. Their limits kinda stink. Non-owned auto is the way to go.
I usually take the rental agency (Avis or Hertz in my case) ALI which is generally $1 million liability. Is this what you consider limits that stink? What do you recommend for "non-owned auto?"

I don't own a car in the U.S. and my Danish car insurance would not cover rental cars so I usually take the rental agency insurance. Is there a better option (edited to add: for rentals in the U.S.)?
Old May 17, 2016, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I usually take the rental agency (Avis or Hertz in my case) ALI which is generally $1 million liability. Is this what you consider limits that stink? What do you recommend for "non-owned auto?"

I don't own a car in the U.S. and my Danish car insurance would not cover rental cars so I usually take the rental agency insurance. Is there a better option (edited to add: for rentals in the U.S.)?
When I looked years ago I don't think it was $1mm coverage but was slightly better than state minimums - I could be wrong though. Usually non-owned auto and an umbrella are better than having to pay a rental agency every time and covers you when you are driving other people's vehicles that aren't rentals. If you rent/drive infrequently then the per use may be more cost effective but non-owners policies can be a mere $200-ish per year.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SusanDK

Take a look at www.insurance4carhire.com to see if it would be beneficial for you.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I don't think you need to use the premium insurance if you don't have underlying insurance unless you want the higher limits - Amex becomes default with the normal level. Pretty standard for car rental companies to charge for broken windows and flat tires IIRC. Submit the claim to Amex.
So I should reply to National and then submit the claim to AMEX after I hear back from them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.