FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Centurion Lounge at LAS [Opened February 2013] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2068490-centurion-lounge-las-opened-february-2013-a.html)

dcmidnight Nov 7, 2023 12:18 pm

LAS lounge now seems to be....one third reserved for Centurion Card holders. Front chairs, two side sections of tables and a back room. What an utter gong show this place continues to be.

Fangflyer Nov 7, 2023 5:39 pm

Yeah visited on 10/28 930AM on Sunday

Originally Posted by dcmidnight (Post 35726743)
LAS lounge now seems to be....one third reserved for Centurion Card holders. Front chairs, two side sections of tables and a back room. What an utter gong show this place continues to be.

First time in LAS and there was a long wait outside about 20 deep. We jumped the queue with two Centurion cards but honestly the reserved areas became at least 2/3rds full. Noticed that other members had only one cardholder - anyway, not the exclusivity you would expect paying some 700% above platinum on an annual basis…

Steve M Nov 7, 2023 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Fangflyer (Post 35727449)
First time in LAS and there was a long wait outside about 20 deep. We jumped the queue with two Centurion cards but honestly the reserved areas became at least 2/3rds full. Noticed that other members had only one cardholder - anyway, not the exclusivity you would expect paying some 700% above platinum on an annual basis…

I'm not sure what you're expecting. Apparently there are a lot of Centurion cardholders visiting the LAS lounge. As long as a) Centurion cardholders don't have to wait to enter, and b) there's always seating available to them in the reserved area, I don't see why the size of the area or the number of other such cardholders in the area is an issue. I don't think that having a reserved area substantially bigger than need just so those cardholders can feel like they're in an empty area is necessary, and it certainly isn't helpful to the Platinum cardmembers that are waiting in line outside because the rest of the lounge is full.

Fangflyer Nov 8, 2023 5:14 pm

Well the other way to look at it...

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 35727913)
I'm not sure what you're expecting. Apparently there are a lot of Centurion cardholders visiting the LAS lounge. As long as a) Centurion cardholders don't have to wait to enter, and b) there's always seating available to them in the reserved area, I don't see why the size of the area or the number of other such cardholders in the area is an issue. I don't think that having a reserved area substantially bigger than need just so those cardholders can feel like they're in an empty area is necessary, and it certainly isn't helpful to the Platinum cardmembers that are waiting in line outside because the rest of the lounge is full.

These are all first world problems, but in essence a Centurion member has an argument to have minimally seven spots (7 x annual fee of Platinum) in any Lounge. Certainly the skipping the line, the separate section, and even a little VC in the bar is a nice addition, but not the same as seven seats of space in the CL. Or to skip seven members in line. Or to be served items worth seven times more. Just another way to look at it, not really complaining as sitting in any airport lounge stinks for everybody, so options like Wheelsup and the private lounges are a nice option. Truth is, Platinum has sadly become so ubiquitous that it's lost its early lustre, especially now my teenagers each have one and so do their friends. Ugh.

lowfareair Nov 9, 2023 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Fangflyer (Post 35730196)
These are all first world problems, but in essence a Centurion member has an argument to have minimally seven spots (7 x annual fee of Platinum) in any Lounge. Certainly the skipping the line, the separate section, and even a little VC in the bar is a nice addition, but not the same as seven seats of space in the CL. Or to skip seven members in line. Or to be served items worth seven times more. Just another way to look at it, not really complaining as sitting in any airport lounge stinks for everybody, so options like Wheelsup and the private lounges are a nice option. Truth is, Platinum has sadly become so ubiquitous that it's lost its early lustre, especially now my teenagers each have one and so do their friends. Ugh.

While I understand your want to have 4, 2 person spaces entirely to yourself despite how many Centurion cardholders in a packed lounge with a wait to get in, it's pretty laughable to think that is in any way realistic. The Vegas lounge has a local ordinance capacity of 464 people, including staff. By your thinking, if 60ish Centurion cardholders came in, they should entirely shut down the lounge to Plats, despite being at 15% occupancy.

It's important to remember that the primary reason Amex charges 7x is to give upper class people the belief that they're special for having a black card, not that all benefits will be 7x better than Platinum's.