FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Departures Magazine - what happened?! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2020632-departures-magazine-what-happened.html)

AlphaTango Jun 29, 2020 12:09 pm

Departures Magazine - what happened?!

The July/August Departures pamphlet just arrived in today's mail. :D

It's a mere shadow of what it once was. I guess a sign that nobody's departing anywhere anytime soon. :/

Global Adventurer Jun 30, 2020 5:53 am

Originally Posted by AlphaTango (Post 32494177)

It's a mere shadow of what it once was. I guess a sign that nobody's departing anywhere anytime soon. :/

I never read them. I take them to the hotel I'm staying at and place them in their lobby, which I'm sure they throw away.

dadig Jun 30, 2020 6:47 am

I suppose spending on travel and experiences isn't the top of everyone's list at the moment

As far as GDP is concerned I would have imagined opening up luxury stores first would have made more sense and paint a 'better' picture statistically (perhaps $20k watch over $2 T-shirts at Primark) - it would be easier to implement social distancing, and also I would most definitely visit a physical store to try the item on before purchase

dw Jun 30, 2020 8:00 am

I haven't received it yet but I'd have to guess a significant reason is the lack of advertising from travel and luxury brands?

Dr_wanderlust Jun 30, 2020 8:56 am

Originally Posted by AlphaTango (Post 32494177)

as 99% of what appears in it is pay-to-play advertising, it is likely a function of travel-related companies cutting back on their marketing.

notquiteaff Jun 30, 2020 9:11 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 32496241)
I haven't received it yet but I'd have to guess a significant reason is the lack of advertising from travel and luxury brands?

1/3 of the magazine appears to be an insert by Oceania Cruises with their 2021 cruise catalog.

hedoman Jun 30, 2020 11:35 pm

Oceania is the only cruise line ad I noticed. It's a tear out supplement. It's a magazine I haven't looked at for a couple years. This one I was curious what companies would be advertising. Not many.

emma dog Jul 1, 2020 5:16 am

I'd be happy to see Departures be dearly departed. My household gets 2 each month and they go straight to recycling.

Zorak Jul 1, 2020 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog (Post 32498726)
I'd be happy to see Departures be dearly departed. My household gets 2 each month and they go straight to recycling.

Same (although only one copy in my case). The only benefit I see is that the extra weight gives a scintilla of extra exercise to my postal carrier, maybe :p

mia noted in a past thread that you can opt-out:

https://www.departures.com/contact-us

but you have to call in, "Requests cannot be accepted via mail or email" and I guess #becauseFT : "IMPORTANT NOTICE: American Express will not issue a statement credit when you elect not to receive Departures Magazine" :D

Global Adventurer Jul 1, 2020 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 32499804)
Same (although only one copy in my case). The only benefit I see is that the extra weight gives a scintilla of extra exercise to my postal carrier, maybe :p

mia noted in a past thread that you can opt-out:

https://www.departures.com/contact-us

but you have to call in, "Requests cannot be accepted via mail or email" and I guess #becauseFT : "IMPORTANT NOTICE: American Express will not issue a statement credit when you elect not to receive Departures Magazine" :D

I'll pass. Every time I call to fix my home and separate mailing address they always seem to screw it up. Just in the last week, it took three calls to just fix my mailing/statement address. Now I'll have to wait a month to see if it's fixed on my next statement 🙁 But, I hate those departure magazines.

Eastbay1K Jul 2, 2020 9:44 am

Originally Posted by emma dog (Post 32498726)

What, you don't aspire to wear a $500,000 piece of diamond-studded lingerie lying at the cabaņa by the pool on your Covid Luxury All-Inclusive Cruise?

cfabar1 Jul 2, 2020 11:03 am

I enjoy the magazine. Was not excited to see this month's devalued edition. My $550 annual subscription fee seems to invite a more compelling magazine than the issue I received. Not happy.

droopydog Jul 3, 2020 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer (Post 32499829)
I'll pass. Every time I call to fix my home and separate mailing address they always seem to screw it up. Just in the last week, it took three calls to just fix my mailing/statement address. Now I'll have to wait a month to see if it's fixed on my next statement 🙁 But, I hate those departure magazines.

At least I am not the only person who experiences this. I have moved twice in two years and use a UPS Store to get my mail because I (used to) travel a lot. Both moves took multiple calls to get the address change correct. They apparently have a zillion different places your address is and they all have to be changed/do not sync. Especially complicated when your mailing address is different from your house.

Global Adventurer Jul 3, 2020 7:32 am

Originally Posted by droopydog (Post 32504340)
At least I am not the only person who experiences this. I have moved twice in two years and use a UPS Store to get my mail because I (used to) travel a lot. Both moves took multiple calls to get the address change correct. They apparently have a zillion different places your address is and they all have to be changed/do not sync. Especially complicated when your mailing address is different from your house.

Yep, my mailing address is a UPS Store box too for travel purposes.

nrr Jul 4, 2020 1:45 am

I rarely read the articles (hard to find between the huge volume of ads in previous issues:rolleyes:). But the most recent issue had an interesting article about how energy conscious Las Vegas has become.