Departures Magazine - what happened?!

Old Jun 29, 20, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: free agent
Departures Magazine - what happened?!

The July/August Departures pamphlet just arrived in today's mail.

It's a mere shadow of what it once was. I guess a sign that nobody's departing anywhere anytime soon. :/
Old Jun 30, 20, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by AlphaTango View Post

It's a mere shadow of what it once was. I guess a sign that nobody's departing anywhere anytime soon. :/
I never read them. I take them to the hotel I'm staying at and place them in their lobby, which I'm sure they throw away.
Old Jun 30, 20, 7:47 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I suppose spending on travel and experiences isn't the top of everyone's list at the moment

As far as GDP is concerned I would have imagined opening up luxury stores first would have made more sense and paint a 'better' picture statistically (perhaps $20k watch over $2 T-shirts at Primark) - it would be easier to implement social distancing, and also I would most definitely visit a physical store to try the item on before purchase
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:00 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
I haven't received it yet but I'd have to guess a significant reason is the lack of advertising from travel and luxury brands?
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:56 am

Programs: the human race
Originally Posted by AlphaTango View Post

as 99% of what appears in it is pay-to-play advertising, it is likely a function of travel-related companies cutting back on their marketing.
Old Jun 30, 20, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dw View Post
I haven't received it yet but I'd have to guess a significant reason is the lack of advertising from travel and luxury brands?
1/3 of the magazine appears to be an insert by Oceania Cruises with their 2021 cruise catalog.
Dr_wanderlust and droopydog like this.
Old Jul 1, 20, 12:35 am

Programs: Hilton LT diamond, Hyatt diamond, Marriott LTte, AA LT plat, Seabourn diamond elite
Oceania is the only cruise line ad I noticed. It's a tear out supplement. It's a magazine I haven't looked at for a couple years. This one I was curious what companies would be advertising. Not many.
Old Jul 1, 20, 6:16 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I'd be happy to see Departures be dearly departed. My household gets 2 each month and they go straight to recycling.
Old Jul 1, 20, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
I'd be happy to see Departures be dearly departed. My household gets 2 each month and they go straight to recycling.
Same (although only one copy in my case). The only benefit I see is that the extra weight gives a scintilla of extra exercise to my postal carrier, maybe

mia noted in a past thread that you can opt-out:

https://www.departures.com/contact-us

but you have to call in, "Requests cannot be accepted via mail or email" and I guess #becauseFT : "IMPORTANT NOTICE: American Express will not issue a statement credit when you elect not to receive Departures Magazine"
Old Jul 1, 20, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Same (although only one copy in my case). The only benefit I see is that the extra weight gives a scintilla of extra exercise to my postal carrier, maybe

mia noted in a past thread that you can opt-out:

https://www.departures.com/contact-us

but you have to call in, "Requests cannot be accepted via mail or email" and I guess #becauseFT : "IMPORTANT NOTICE: American Express will not issue a statement credit when you elect not to receive Departures Magazine"
I'll pass. Every time I call to fix my home and separate mailing address they always seem to screw it up. Just in the last week, it took three calls to just fix my mailing/statement address. Now I'll have to wait a month to see if it's fixed on my next statement 🙁 But, I hate those departure magazines.
droopydog likes this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
What, you don't aspire to wear a $500,000 piece of diamond-studded lingerie lying at the cabaña by the pool on your Covid Luxury All-Inclusive Cruise?
Old Jul 2, 20, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I enjoy the magazine. Was not excited to see this month's devalued edition. My $550 annual subscription fee seems to invite a more compelling magazine than the issue I received. Not happy.
emma dog likes this.
Old Jul 3, 20, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
I'll pass. Every time I call to fix my home and separate mailing address they always seem to screw it up. Just in the last week, it took three calls to just fix my mailing/statement address. Now I'll have to wait a month to see if it's fixed on my next statement 🙁 But, I hate those departure magazines.
At least I am not the only person who experiences this. I have moved twice in two years and use a UPS Store to get my mail because I (used to) travel a lot. Both moves took multiple calls to get the address change correct. They apparently have a zillion different places your address is and they all have to be changed/do not sync. Especially complicated when your mailing address is different from your house.
Old Jul 3, 20, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by droopydog View Post
At least I am not the only person who experiences this. I have moved twice in two years and use a UPS Store to get my mail because I (used to) travel a lot. Both moves took multiple calls to get the address change correct. They apparently have a zillion different places your address is and they all have to be changed/do not sync. Especially complicated when your mailing address is different from your house.
Yep, my mailing address is a UPS Store box too for travel purposes.
Old Jul 4, 20, 2:45 am
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I rarely read the articles (hard to find between the huge volume of ads in previous issues). But the most recent issue had an interesting article about how energy conscious Las Vegas has become.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: