Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
American Express (USA)Trip Cancellation or Interruption terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

American Express (USA) Trip Delay terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rip-delay.html

Print Wikipost

Amex (USA) adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2022, 1:08 pm

I had a flight canceled by delta due to weather and atc and amex declined to pay because it said only cuz of atc anyone know how to proceed?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ijones027
....due to weather and atc and amex declined to pay because it said only cuz of atc ....
Contact Delta and explain that you need a statement for insurance purposes which states all of the reasons that the flight was cancelled, and you believe weather was one.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:28 pm

Trip ins. Claim: hotel bought with points

Anyone try it ? The points were purchased in 2020 using Amex.

trip was delayed.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:52 pm
mia

Are they Membership Rewards points?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Are they Membership Rewards points?
no just hotel points
Old Oct 25, 2022, 4:56 pm

AMEX Platinum Travel Insurance for Cancelled Flight?

Wife and I were booked roundtrip on China Airlines (CI) from Okinawa to Bangkok via Taipei (OKA-TPE-BKK) for Xmas/NYE. Reverse itinerary for the return.

Received an email from CI that the TPE-OKA flight on the return was cancelled. There were three options to continue with CI since they have no partner airlines with sufficient route network to get to OKA. If we'd booked with Thai or EVA I'm sure we could have used some ANA availability:

1) Return 2 days earlier
2) Return 2 days later
3) Take the original BKK-TPE flight, then do a 10 hour layover in the airport and depart the following morning at ~0800. We were informed that we could not be issued a "normal" ticket and we only would have a "transfer" ticket, meaning we have to stay airside and couldn't leave for a hotel stay. Not a fan of overnights in the airports with no lounge access since they all close at ~2330.

Luckily, I've already booked a somewhat doable return with a BKK-NRT direct on Thai, an overnight at Narita at a nearby airport hotel and then an early morning flight on Peach NRT-OKA getting us in the following morning at around 1030. In the end, assuming I get 1/2 the ticket price back from CI (still working this, the time zones are difficult to coordinate getting a call when everyone is open), this new booking only adds about $250 to the total cost of the trip (thank you USD to Yen rate).

Given the cancellation, can I claim the difference under Trip Delay Insurance? In the end, not a big deal and with enough notice not too much hassle from an itinerary and $$$ perspective, but $250 is $250.

Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aramil17
Given the cancellation, can I claim the difference under Trip Delay Insurance? In the end, not a big deal and with enough notice not too much hassle from an itinerary and $$$ perspective, but $250 is $250.

Thanks.
It depends on which country your card is issued in, but for a US card that is not a covered loss. Travel delay insurance is basically day of travel coverage; in the case of the AMEX coverage, it only covers delays or cancels due to weather, mechanical, or terrorism.

You're going to have hard time getting any refund from CI; they'll likely reprice the ticket and your one-way will probably eat up the whole fare.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It depends on which country your card is issued in, but for a US card that is not a covered loss. Travel delay insurance is basically day of travel coverage; in the case of the AMEX coverage, it only covers delays or cancels due to weather, mechanical, or terrorism.

You're going to have hard time getting any refund from CI; they'll likely reprice the ticket and your one-way will probably eat up the whole fare.
Issued in the US, we just happen to live in Japan. I figured it was a long shot.

I priced out a current ticket for the departure leg (OKA-TPE-BKK) and its about $350 (for the same flights as the original itinerary). Assuming the refund amount for the return leg is about half (~$400), there should be no issues and its basically a wash. If the one way departure on the current itinerary "eats into" the entire fare so the refund amount is abysmal, I should just request a full refund/cancellation and rebook the one way, correct?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aramil17
I priced out a current ticket for the departure leg (OKA-TPE-BKK) and its about $350 (for the same flights as the original itinerary). Assuming the refund amount for the return leg is about half (~$400), there should be no issues and its basically a wash. If the one way departure on the current itinerary "eats into" the entire fare so the refund amount is abysmal, I should just request a full refund/cancellation and rebook the one way, correct?
Yeah, consider pricing of all the options and make the call accordingly.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:31 pm

AMEX travel insurance available only if card is active?

I had a Platinum card which I closed 2 days back. I had booked a flight for my dependent daughter using my Platinum card. Is travel insurance still 'active' for the trip in Jan 2023 even though the card is now closed? Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:47 pm
mia

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Is travel insurance still 'active' for the trip in Jan 2023 even though the card is now closed?
The terms say:

These benefits do not apply if your card privileges have been cancelled. However, insurance benefits will still apply for any benefit you were eligible for prior to the date that your Eligible Card is suspended or cancelled, subject to the terms and conditions of coverage.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Has anyone booked a round-trip travel on separate tickets, some of which are purchased entirely with flight credit, and has gotten reimbursed?

For example, AAA-BBB booked with UA FTC and an eligible Amex card; BBB-CCC booked completely with UA FTC; CCC-AAA booked with UA miles and charged taxes&fees to the same Amex card.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I'm looking to book a safari using my AMEX Platinum. The terms https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html seem a bit ambiguous as to whether this would be covered by their trip cancellation insurance since my flights weren't booked with this card. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2022, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MarkP24
I'm looking to book a safari using my AMEX Platinum. The terms https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html seem a bit ambiguous as to whether this would be covered by their trip cancellation insurance since my flights weren't booked with this card. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Not ambiguous, IMO.

terms clearly state a trip starts with a departure on a common carrier. So if you haven’t booked your flight in the card, not sure how it might be covered.
Statman likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 3:43 pm
mia

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not ambiguous....
Agreed, the definition of a Covered Trip requires meeting four conditions, and the fourth one is payment for the common carrier transportation with the card:

Covered Trip means a period of round-trip travel to one or more destinations other than an Eligible
Traveler’s city of residence at the time of departure where: (1) The Eligible Traveler departs by
Common Carrier to begin the period of round-trip travel; (2) the period of round-trip travel ends when
the Eligible Traveler returns by Common Carrier to the city of departure; (3) the period of round-trip
travel does not exceed three hundred sixty-five (365) days away from the Eligible Traveler’s city of
residence at the time of departure; and (4) the Eligible Traveler charges the full amount of the cost of
transportation by Common Carrier(s) to your Eligible Card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.