Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
American Express (USA)Trip Cancellation or Interruption terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

American Express (USA) Trip Delay terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rip-delay.html

Print Wikipost

Amex (USA) adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I always assumed that the Amex coverage would get me home if I required medical evacuation, given that I called them first, at least on Plat/Cent. Is that one of the coverages that is going away on Jan 1, do I now need to buy medical evacuation insurance?
Per TPG, medical evacuation coverage is still being offered on the Platinum card.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
I always assumed that the Amex coverage would get me home if I required medical evacuation, given that I called them first, at least on Plat/Cent. Is that one of the coverages that is going away on Jan 1, do I now need to buy medical evacuation insurance?
This might be the Premium Global Assist Hotline, right? Or at least, that rings a bell. I have never used it so I don't know. Hopefully I never have to use it neither... it's never fun to have to be evacuated for medical reason or any reason.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Is TPG the only source of all these changes? It would be nice to see exactly what is changed for each card, since I have multiple AX cards and we're getting different messages.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Nice changes overall and echo other posters up thread, make the travel credit eligible for ticket purchases!

Safe Travels
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Nice changes overall and echo other posters up thread, make the travel credit eligible for ticket purchases!

Safe Travels
Baby steps!
To be honest I'll take trip insurance in exchange for harder to use airline credits, but I still think a decent compromise on the travel credit would be to add prepaid AmexTravel hotel bookings, since it keeps the money in house.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Gig103
This is a huge win IMO, on the heels of Citi dropping their protection
Indeed. Looks like a direct response to Citi's cuts.

This could move a few more of my ticket purchases from Chase to Amex.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
The roadside assistance was awesome. I needed a jump once and AMEX had a site where you can track the person on their way to you. However, having delay insurance will be nice.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The USA AmEx Plat card used to have some travel insurance system where you signed up in advance and were charged a fixed amount for the coverage whenever you charged a plane ticket to your card. I don't know whether it's still offered as I never accepted it. How does this compare in coverage to the newly announced travel insurance coverage?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:56 pm

If the Delay insurance covers only round-trip tickets then it is still significantly inferior to Chase's (and close to useless for me).
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Yllanes
If the Delay insurance covers only round-trip tickets then it is still significantly inferior to Chase's (and close to useless for me).
From the link in the OP:

"Note that a round-trip is defined as travel to one or more destinations that begins and ends in the original city of departure. So one itinerary bringing a covered traveler from New York to London, then back from Paris to New York would qualify as a round-trip for the purposes of Amex’s insurance coverage."
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
From the link in the OP:

"Note that a round-trip is defined as travel to one or more destinations that begins and ends in the original city of departure. So one itinerary bringing a covered traveler from New York to London, then back from Paris to New York would qualify as a round-trip for the purposes of Amex’s insurance coverage."
In other words, multicity and open jaw tickets/itineraries would be covered but not reverse open jaws. The quote also emphasizes itineraries rather than tickets.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I don't understand the "round trip" stipulation...if I buy a one-way ticket on one airline, but fly home one way on another, and purchased both separately but with the same qualifying card I won't be covered on either leg?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I don't understand the "round trip" stipulation...if I buy a one-way ticket on one airline, but fly home one way on another, and purchased both separately but with the same qualifying card I won't be covered on either leg?
My reading of the words quoted above is that one would be covered if and only if the two one way tickets were on the same itinerary.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
The roadside assistance was awesome. I needed a jump once and AMEX had a site where you can track the person on their way to you. However, having delay insurance will be nice.
Purportedly, the premium roadside assistance remains.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
You'd have to check the terms and conditions, but all the coverages that I have read specify that evacuation is to the nearest suitable hospital. Well, that is not good enough for me, so I use Medjet Assist, https://medjetassist.com/ , which promises evacuation to the hospital of your choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.