Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
American Express (USA)Trip Cancellation or Interruption terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ion-terms.html

American Express (USA) Trip Delay terms:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rip-delay.html

Print Wikipost

Amex (USA) adding trip delay and cancellation coverage to select cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Kind of interesting that the linked PDF does not even name the insurance carrier.
It's in the first paragraph: Throughout this document, you and your refer to a Card Member. We, us, and our refer to New
Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company, New York, NY
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by richarddd
These appear to be the terms of the trip cancellation insurance: https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Insurance.pdf which I got from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31905184-post129.html

For whatever it's worth, I read the link when mia first posted the link and thought it included parents (likely with an Immediate Family definition), but looking today it does not. Either I'm misremembering or they changed the terms.
Whenever I see a word or term using capital letters in a contract or term sheet of any sort that I may consider important, I tend to gravitate to looking for and reading the definitions included in the document,-all while assuming that the meaning will be restricted so as to further stack things in favor of the document-drafting party.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Whenever I see a word or term using capital letters in a contract or term sheet of any sort that I may consider important, I tend to gravitate to looking for and reading the definitions included in the document,-all while assuming that the meaning will be restricted so as to further stack things in favor of the document-drafting party.
Are you finding a restricted meaning of Immediate Family in the current T&Cs? I didn't see the term at all when I looked last night. It's odd the Amex would include it as a capitalized term in a summary of benefits if it's not in the actual T&Cs.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:18 am
mia

Originally Posted by richarddd
Are you finding a restricted meaning of Immediate Family in the current T&Cs?
The document is here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Insurance.pdf

The definition is on the second page:

Family Member means a spouse, Domestic Partner, or unmarried dependent child up to age 19 (or
under age twenty-six (26) if a full time student at an accredited college or university).
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:36 am
mia

Updated Wikipost with links to live terms, rather than the "sample" terms published in late 2019.
747FC likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by mia
The document is here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont..._Insurance.pdf

The definition is on the second page:
That's Family Member not Immediate Family.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by mia
Updated Wikipost with links to live terms, rather than the "sample" terms published in late 2019.
Did the sample terms cover Immediate Family, including parents?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:48 am
mia

The sample Trip Cancellation or Interruption document is attached to this post. The definitions look the same to me.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
trip_can_interup_sample.pdf (174.7 KB, 96 views)
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by mia
The sample Trip Cancellation or Interruption document is attached to this post. The definitions look the same to me.
You're right. I must have misremembered. Sorry for the detour.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:13 am

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I called this am to make a trip delay claim (connecting flight to destination cancelled due to weather, rerouted to nearby city, had to purchase hotel at overnight city and then car rental the next day to get to my final destination). Was told on the phone that the "covered trip" language means that I needed to pay for the added expenses with my Platinum card. Pretty sure that is not the case with the insurance offered by CSR (I don't have a CSR so that statement is based on blogposts rather than actual experiences). In any case phone rep seemed pretty confident I would not be able to recover for my rental car and meals because I did not charge them to my Amex. The hotel I put on my platinum because I was trying to take advantage of an Amex offer - will be interesting to see if Amex offer credit gets clawed back if the hotel is reimbursed in which case I wasted a fair amount of time for a mere $40 or so.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:24 am
mia

It appears the telephone agent is mistaken:

Covered Trip means a period of round-trip travel to one or more destinations other than an Eligible
Traveler’s city of residence at the time of departure where: (1) The Eligible Traveler departs by
Common Carrier to begin the period of round-trip travel; (2) the period of round-trip travel ends when
the Eligible Traveler returns by Common Carrier to the city of departure; (3) the period of round-trip
travel does not exceed three hundred sixty-five (365) days away from the Eligible Traveler’s city of
residence at the time of departure; and (4) the full amount of the Eligible Traveler’s cost of
transportation by Common Carrier(s)
is charged to your Eligible Card.
The period of round-trip travel
may consist of roundtrip, one-way, or combinations of roundtrip and one-way tickets with Common
Carrier(
I do not find any requirement that any other expenses are charged to the American Express card.

Nonetheless it will be interesting to see if they reimburse the car rental, because other insurers have been inconsistent.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by mia
It appears the telephone agent is mistaken:

I do not find any requirement that any other expenses are charged to the American Express card.

Nonetheless it will be interesting to see if they reimburse the car rental, because other insurers have been inconsistent.
AIG claims the requirement si written under trip delay, cancelation or interruption about paying all expenses with AMEX card required by AMEX.

So not only must the initial airline trip fare be charged to AMEX card but all additional expenses associated with the trip.
Trip was interrupted by a different airport which is part f $10,000 coverage. Expenses for lodging, transportation, meals falls under $500 daily limit
and are covered if the initial cause was weather related. All expenses must be on AMEX card.

So look at the language under trip loss coverages.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by euromannn
AIG claims the requirement si written under trip delay, cancelation or interruption about paying all expenses with AMEX card required by AMEX.

So not only must the initial airline trip fare be charged to AMEX card but all additional expenses associated with the trip.
Trip was interrupted by a different airport which is part f $10,000 coverage. Expenses for lodging, transportation, meals falls under $500 daily limit
and are covered if the initial cause was weather related. All expenses must be on AMEX card.

So look at the language under trip loss coverages.
The AIG rep is wrong. The terms clearly state that covered trip only requires the flights be paid for with the card. The terms are quite plain in the benefits guide. Receipts must be provided but expenses absolutely do not need to be charged to the card.

If AIG refuses to cover the loss you should take this up with AmEx.

Here’s the benefit guide. It’s quite unambiguous. I hope you fight with AIG for this because they need to educate their reps, otherwise lots of valid claims will end up being denied.

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...500_6hours.pdf

Last edited by synzero; Feb 12, 2020 at 12:46 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by synzero
The AIG rep is wrong. The terms clearly state that covered trip only requires the flights be paid for with the card. The terms are quite plain in the benefits guide. Receipts must be provided but expenses absolutely do not need to be charged to the card.

If AIG refuses to cover the loss you should take this up with AmEx.

Here’s the benefit guide. It’s quite unambiguous. I hope you fight with AIG for this because they need to educate their reps, otherwise lots of valid claims will end up being denied.

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...500_6hours.pdf
1. NOT me who feels the claim with AIG but the poster earlier.
2. I contacted AIG to be sure of the interpretation and they backed up teh first AIG rep who told the poster above his expenses would not be covered.

SO ----- some needs to address this with AMEX ------ they never listen to me that's for sure but until the issue is resolved I would recommend using AMEX card for all trip delay, interruption and cancelation expenses.

CHAse with CSR card which I have is more flexible - receipts needed vs charged on card, single one way flights counts as a trip vs AMEX RT requirement.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by euromannn
1. NOT me who feels the claim with AIG but the poster earlier.
2. I contacted AIG to be sure of the interpretation and they backed up teh first AIG rep who told the poster above his expenses would not be covered.

SO ----- some needs to address this with AMEX ------ they never listen to me that's for sure but until the issue is resolved I would recommend using AMEX card for all trip delay, interruption and cancelation expenses.

CHAse with CSR card which I have is more flexible - receipts needed vs charged on card, single one way flights counts as a trip vs AMEX RT requirement.
It's so annoying when big corporations can’t get their act together and read their own contracts. I'm going to contact my own rep to complain about this because it's a black and white violation of their written terms.
cuthroat likes this.

Last edited by synzero; Feb 13, 2020 at 12:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.