FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   What is an "American Express Account Manager"? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1985219-what-american-express-account-manager.html)

msit Aug 30, 2019 10:57 am

What is an "American Express Account Manager"?

Hi all,

I have an Amex Business Gold and Business Platinum card, and I just got the below email. I didn't know "account managers" were a thing. What can they do?

Hello Michael,

I hope you’re well and enjoying your American Express experience so far. I’d like to introduce myself as a member of your American Express® Account Management team.

As your dedicated Account Manager, I’d like to schedule a 10 minute introductory call to discuss:
  • Your business objectives, financial goals, and how American Express can help you accomplish these goals
  • Your program benefits and how these can be leveraged to offset business expenses

Please let me know the best time to connect with you.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Steve M Aug 30, 2019 6:20 pm

They can and will offer you ways to expand the amount of spend on your Amex card, such as by getting additional cards for employees. They'll also introduce you to other ways that Amex can help your business, such as by providing business loans.

MaxVO Sep 2, 2019 4:15 am

Originally Posted by msit (Post 31473955)
I have an Amex Business Gold and Business Platinum card, and I just got the below email. I didn't know "account managers" were a thing. What can they do?

It sounds like you received a marketing email fishing for more info. The marketing person was not your "account manager". It's very unlikely that a customer would get anything useful out of such calls.
AmEx also allows you to designate a trusted person to do some or most of account maintenance operations. The term "Account Manager" applies to such trusted person you designate. If you want to learn more about this option, go to "Account Services" - "Card Management" portion of AmEx website, and look this up.

Centurion Sep 4, 2019 4:48 am

It is a legit reach out from Amex and not phishing as last person wrote. They will help you spend more on Amex. They will help persuade anyone you use who does not take Amex the accept it.

Steve M Sep 4, 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 31488788)
They will help persuade anyone you use who does not take Amex the accept it.

Ah yes - one of their talking points is that the notion that Amex charges a higher discount rate than Visa/MC is a thing of the past, at least when comparing premium cards (Visa/MC now have a variable discount rate, charging higher rates for premium products (such as World MasterCard), of which essentially all mileage-earning cards just happen to be).

Plumuser Sep 4, 2019 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 31488788)
It is a legit reach out from Amex and not phishing as last person wrote. They will help you spend more on Amex. They will help persuade anyone you use who does not take Amex the accept it.

A few years ago I was also contacted through the same route by Amex, a phone call and then subsequently a personal face to face visit. #legit

Stgermainparis Mar 21, 2021 3:17 pm

Is there anywhere on the Amex site that I can see whether or not I’m an account manager for a personal card (I’m an AU)?

mia Mar 21, 2021 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 33116695)
Is there anywhere on the Amex site that I can see whether or not I’m an account manager for a personal card (I’m an AU)?

If you are able to login using the primary cardholder's Username and Password, navigate to: Account Services >Manage Other Users> Add or Remove Account Managers

Centurion Mar 23, 2021 10:30 pm

There is some confusion on a account manager in this thread. 1st type :You can be an account manager on someones amex account and they can set the level of what they can do. 2. Amex assigns you an account manager if you are a big spender or Amexs computers think they can convert you to high spend. The account manager from amex can be a very effective person and do more things for you than a regular CSR. They can make your green or platinum card have some of the power of a centurion card. They can convince vendors to take your card when they normally would not.

MrMosby Oct 12, 2021 6:41 am

So I read mentions in the Centurion thread that there are personal and business account managers, does anyone know what the spend needed for an account manager is?

This year I'll wrap up at about $135K on Amex, and $168K (some don't take Amex, some I get better rewards on) not on Amex with my credit card spend.

And then there is also the things I don't charge at all because I can't, or its cost prohibitive to (i.e. My Verizon bill is 12% more expensive if I put it on a credit card versus ACH.. Can I afford it, sure, but why would I).

I'd love to put more of my spend on Amex - but I could use the help of an account manager to get some of these places to accept Amex.