What is an "American Express Account Manager"?

Old Aug 30, 19, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Question What is an "American Express Account Manager"?

Hi all,

I have an Amex Business Gold and Business Platinum card, and I just got the below email. I didn't know "account managers" were a thing. What can they do?
Hello Michael,

I hope you’re well and enjoying your American Express experience so far. I’d like to introduce myself as a member of your American Express® Account Management team.

As your dedicated Account Manager, I’d like to schedule a 10 minute introductory call to discuss:
  • Your business objectives, financial goals, and how American Express can help you accomplish these goals
  • Your program benefits and how these can be leveraged to offset business expenses

Please let me know the best time to connect with you.

I look forward to speaking with you.
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:20 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
They can and will offer you ways to expand the amount of spend on your Amex card, such as by getting additional cards for employees. They'll also introduce you to other ways that Amex can help your business, such as by providing business loans.
Old Sep 2, 19, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by msit View Post
I have an Amex Business Gold and Business Platinum card, and I just got the below email. I didn't know "account managers" were a thing. What can they do?
It sounds like you received a marketing email fishing for more info. The marketing person was not your "account manager". It's very unlikely that a customer would get anything useful out of such calls.
AmEx also allows you to designate a trusted person to do some or most of account maintenance operations. The term "Account Manager" applies to such trusted person you designate. If you want to learn more about this option, go to "Account Services" - "Card Management" portion of AmEx website, and look this up.
Old Sep 4, 19, 4:48 am

It is a legit reach out from Amex and not phishing as last person wrote. They will help you spend more on Amex. They will help persuade anyone you use who does not take Amex the accept it.
Old Sep 4, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
They will help persuade anyone you use who does not take Amex the accept it.
Ah yes - one of their talking points is that the notion that Amex charges a higher discount rate than Visa/MC is a thing of the past, at least when comparing premium cards (Visa/MC now have a variable discount rate, charging higher rates for premium products (such as World MasterCard), of which essentially all mileage-earning cards just happen to be).
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
It is a legit reach out from Amex and not phishing as last person wrote. They will help you spend more on Amex. They will help persuade anyone you use who does not take Amex the accept it.
A few years ago I was also contacted through the same route by Amex, a phone call and then subsequently a personal face to face visit. #legit

Search this Thread